whats the best front axel swap for the xj

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I would think without a welder.. you have little in option, maybe a 44 from a Rubicon.

Other than that, I would lean towards a driver drop Wagoneer , 81-93 used driver side drop axles.

I have access to a rig here that has em, (I think, may already be gone)..$300 will get you matching 44's.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Sorry Taco, thought they quit in 93.....

hell this one could be anywhere in there, just saw the driver drop.. and thought somebody with an X/Y/T/Zj will want these.

Will find out tonight if it is still available.
And if so, its yours...

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Dude, if you can't weld brackets don't bother swapping axles. Unless you are going to have someone else do the work, stick with your D30 (or find a Rubicon D44). You're going to give yourself a headache with all the thing's you've been asking about axle swaps.

FWIW, I run a D30 front and a D44 rear in my XJ, and I'm not light on the skinny pedal.....so far so good. ;)

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We are in the middle of swapping a HP d44 from a 79 F250 into my son's Comanche. It takes lots of welding to make it work. We narrowed it to stock waggy width which required cutting off the knuckles and welding them back on. Also all of the brackets have to be welded on.