Whats Up With Corner Canyon!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
rusted said:
What are those horse guys doing that is so good? A trail can be closed to motors, and even bicycles because they are too damaging, but they NEVER close them for horses...

Actually, all of Big & Little Cottonwood canyons are closed to horses citing the same reason 4x4's are out... Watershed

Funny though, AF Canyon is open to all types of travel, and its water tastes great??? :D

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
cruiseroutfit said:
I for one wish I was around (with my Cruiser) 50 years ago... dozens of trails up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, AF Canyon, Corner Canyon to Dry Creek to AF Canyon, Little Cottonwood To AF Canyon, Neffs Canyon, Upper Milcreek Canyon, City Creek. Just to name a few of the places right close to home that used to be open.

Don't forget Emigration, Holladay Gun Club area, and the mouth of Parleys.

There's no watter up there. Maybe like two small ponds and I hope we don't drink that watter. :eek: We used to jump our bikes into that pond.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
According to the Alpine authorities alot of the mountain closer to Alpine is still open with a few fun trails still available (east and north of Hog hollow road).
It is a bummer as I grew up in Highland and like Kurt- grew up loving Hog hollow, corner canyon, the sand hills on Draper side and the Lehi sand pits.
A funny side note we on the Utah county side call "Movie Road" (Kurts name) Devils Brigade (the name of the movie filmed up there in the early 70's). Up at the top of that road are some cool cliffs which I would sit and look off of when I was younger. I wish I could still drive to it legally but haven't decided to hike it yet. :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
BioNuke1 said:
It's only a matter of time before AF canyon is locked up too. :-\

WRONG, we are gaining ground up there considering the recent Usa-All win in the canyon. AF is here to stay if properly cared for. I spent ALOT of time up there last year wroking with the USFS, they are very supportive of our casue. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
dunatic67 said:
...Devils Brigade (the name of the movie filmed up there in the early 70's)...

I often call it Devils Brigade too... I actually bought the movie several years ago just to watch the war scenes that were filmed at the outcrop. I remember reading old hiking books that mentioned old war props that could be found on the hillside, I actually found some chain gun remnants (the round holders?) up there a few years back.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I watched the movie for the same reason. When I was a teenager it seemed like I would go up there every day trying to get my 250 to go up that first big hill after you cross the creek. I regeared, tried a different tire etc. before I made it up there the first time.
The old war props sound cool. I worked with some guys who were extras when the film was shot up there.

A comment on horses and trails: Have you seen how much garbage these guys leave? Some of them drink bear and chuck the cans and any other garbage as they go. There are idiotsw in every social circle who ruin it for everyone else.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
pretty cold!

man that thing is LOUD lol... clickety clanking away in the corner

I'm gonna see about revamping it.. kind of a retrorod refrigerator :D