Whats Up With Corner Canyon!!

devilbikerdude

Im sure most of you know by now corner canyon is closed :mad: to everything but hikers, bikers, and horseback riders. They say its cuz of it being a water shed(although the valley needs water, corner canyon dosent produce much water anyways) and the new mormon temple thats being built up there. Which is such bull crap!!, just cuz a temple is going to be up there dosent mean we cant go mudding up there, I hope the cops know that just cuz they closed it off doesnt mean we wont be up there. :redneck:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
devilbikerdude said:
Im sure most of you know by now corner canyon is closed :mad: to everything but hikers, bikers, and horseback riders. They say its cuz of it being a water shed(although the valley needs water, corner canyon dosent produce much water anyways) and the new mormon temple thats being built up there. Which is such bull crap!!, just cuz a temple is going to be up there dosent mean we cant go mudding up there, I hope the cops know that just cuz they closed it off doesnt mean we wont be up there. :redneck:

Hmmm... Where to start on this one?
:rolleyes:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Corner Canyon is primarily private property & USFS Wilderness, as it has for the last 20+ years. Its approximate boundaries are: Anything lower than the "Upper Corner Canyon Road" are privately owned (future subdivisions, Temple, etc) and anything above the road is in the Lone Peak Wilderness area. The fact the Temple is going in has NOTHING to do with the enforcment of the area. In fact they have actually really slacked off on enforcment compared to the days of the Sherriff Hummer & Helicopters...

At one time there were several decent trails in the canyon, the Draper Ridge Road is a very steep, climb that can be seen from I-15, it can be accessed from two different trails. The other trail was the "Movie Road", which was the sight of an old war film. They cut the road up the hill-side and it literally ends at a cliff, really cool drive (when it was legit). I've spent many of days in the area, camping, hiking, wheeling, biking, etc... Too bad it is losing ground to homes.

They are correct when they say that just about everything is closed. However, the main road is a County Road, and it 100% legit to travel as long as the main gate is open. They do close the gate when they road could easily be damaged by vehicles, such as in the winter. At this time I don't beleive they ever shut it since there is all the new developments at the top. Even when the gate was closed, there were a dozen ways to get into the area, some more shady than others.

I have some cool maps of the trails in the canyon, as well as alot of GPS routes up there too. Both of the "drivable" trails are very poplular with hikers heading to Lone Peak, and you "could" shave off several hours of the trip if you were allowed to drive.

I hope you do get a ticket for violating the law. The mud bogs up Corner Canyon are PRIVATE PROPERTY and have been marked for well over 5 years (current generation of signs, I'm sure 100's have been destroyed). Don't hurt our casue by trying to renegade on someones personal property. There are NO implied or possible rights to those mudbogs...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
BTW Devilbikerdude, if you live around Sandy/Draper... Meet up with me sometime and we can chat about this stuff.. It sucks that we lost it but it really isn't worth the fight. However, there may be some fight left for other local trails... we could use the help if your passionate about keeping LEGAL wheeling areas open!

-Kurt

rjmax

The other Paco
cruiseroutfit said:
Don't hurt our casue by trying to renegade on someones personal property. There are NO implied or possible rights to those mudbogs...

Ditto!

Well said cruiseroutfit.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
wow.. DEVIL BIKER DUDE

hopefully you give someone a reason to kick the hell out of you soon... Please do a public service and tell us what you drive.

Thanks in advance for your excellent work getting trails closed, you colossal asshat. :mad2: :mad2:

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
Tacoma said:
wow.. DEVIL BIKER DUDE

hopefully you give someone a reason to kick the hell out of you soon... Please do a public service and tell us what you drive.

Thanks in advance for your excellent work getting trails closed, you colossal asshat. :mad2: :mad2:

ditto!

well said tacoma. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Just to add a little more (becasue I am sick of staring at my homework)...

I was in the same boat as you devilbikerdude. When I was a kid, we used to travel all over that canyon. My grandfather owned a chunk of land up there years ago, and frankly, the landowners didn't mind people using there land. On top of that, the local law enforcment (Draper Police version one at the time), never really commented on the area. All that and my 16 year old punk attitude and we used to play up there all day. I camped up there 30+ times one summer... used to be a blast.

But, with most good things, they slowly come to an end. Slowly houses crept right up to the trails, golf courses, churches, etc... all hiked their way up. Draper City purchased the "Draper Preservation District" in the Lower Corner Canyon area. And landowners started posting their property due to liability and the amount of damage taking place. Along came the Sherriff deputies in Draper. They were far more diligent about enforcing the area, Hummers and Helicopters were often used to patrol the area.

The sad realility is here, we have to fight to keep trails open, but sometime fighting means "obeying" and "fighting the urge" to trespass. I too wish I still had a decent wheeling reserve minutes from home, but AF is just around the corner, and Five Mile Pass is a quick 45 minutes away.

The laws and restrictions regarding Corner Canyon are well posted and available. A recent article in the Draper newspaper details the law as well as signs at the entrance of the main road, particularly prohibiting any vehicular travel off of the main road.

Get involved with the right "fight"
http://www.u4wda.com

devilbikerdude

hey thanks for the replys

hey every one. now EKSJAE i would just like to say that im a hot headed 17 yr old teen ager wanting to have fun. But im not the one giving 4x4 enthusists bad names because i DON'T think that i can go where ever i want, i dont go around running over small trees and bushes which ruins the enviroment, I too love mt biking (actually my bike is worth more than my truck) and i also love Back packing. I try my best to stay behind the private proberty signs but sometimes its impossible. I also dont start fires and drink beer up there and trash the place, those are the guys who are ruining it for us. I was just trying to bring up a important subject not a fight. and i must admit that was pretty supid of me to say "the police cant keep me out of there" cuz they most likly can. I probably seem like a wimp now trying to back my self up but oh well.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
devilbikerdude said:
.... I probably seem like a wimp now trying to back my self up but oh well.

Nope, you don't sound like a wimp... just informed. Like I said, I have played in this area for years, and literally been on every road in the Canyon.. feel free to ask questions. The biggest problem up there really isn't the fact of private property, it is the Lone Peak Wilderness area... Now that it is designated Wilderness, it can't come back. Now as far as the few roads that actully go someplace up there (Ridge, Ladder, Movie Road, etc)... there "may" be a legal right to those, but very unlikely unless SL County is willing to claim them, which they are very unlikely to do (citing: SL Counties failure to claim LEGIT roads within the County, our government has literally failed us in this aspect)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'll give you points for that post, and allow a great deal of leeway for being 17.... :D

just watch what you say, and even more what you DO.

Now I hope people w/U4WDA shirts just menace you a little. :D

ALso let it be known that I grew up in NY, where EVERYTHING is posted and illegal. I really REALLY dont' want that to happen to UT.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
my apolagies DBDude.

but what was i suposed to think when i read " I hope the cops know that just cuz they closed it off doesnt mean we wont be up there."

this kind of attitude from a few people can give a bad name to a lot of people.

choose your words carefully......

oh ya... welcome to the board

fjcruisin

devilbikerdude said:
The one thing he mentions that is really off base (either by him or the ones that closed it) is that horses are still allowed. IF the reasoning is that this is "watershed" then horses would not be allowed.

As for devildickerdood, your complete lack of respect for other people's property is what gives all of us a bad reputation.

Respect the land. Respect other people's stuff. Stay on the trail. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be out wheeling!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
What are those horse guys doing that is so good? A trail can be closed to motors, and even bicycles because they are too damaging, but they NEVER close them for horses. Every walked up a trail after the horses? They are much worse than any bicycle. They leave trail surprises all of the time, those feet in the mud are worse than anything, then to top it off they can graze or trample on any wildflower they wish. The equestrian PR groups is doing something right (for themselves).

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
fjcruisin said:
..IF the reasoning is that this is "watershed" then horses would not be allowed...

To my knowledge, none of it is actual Watershed, but rather Preservation area (use designated by Draper) and Wilderness under Federal protection. There may be some Watershed claims on the wilderness area, but it is rather moot as the wilderness takes us out of the loop. However, I know that the Lone Peak trail is popular with the equestrian crowd. There is a make shift stable at the 1st Hammangog (sp?).

I for one wish I was around (with my Cruiser) 50 years ago... dozens of trails up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, AF Canyon, Corner Canyon to Dry Creek to AF Canyon, Little Cottonwood To AF Canyon, Neffs Canyon, Upper Milcreek Canyon, City Creek. Just to name a few of the places right close to home that used to be open.

devilbikerdude

your right

hey fjcruisin your right about it making no sense with it being a water shed but still letting horses up, but thats what the cop told me and my buddies one night, he said " its to bad they closed it down but its cuz of it now being a watershed and they only allow hikers, bikers and horses" which dosent make much sense. but i wasent about to argue with a cop. And next time i will choose my words more wisely, it just makes me pretty mad that its almost all closed off.