Where do you get your welding gas?

Tebbsjeep

I want to buy my own tank for C25 gas. Where do you guys get yours from? What do you pay on average for refills? I'm up in Ogden but work in Midvale, so anywhere in between would work for me.

CV-92YJ

I just filled a tank, not sure on size but approximately 36” tall, at Airgas of C25. It cost me $66 which seemed kind of pricey. For what it’s worth, most places take your tank and swap it for an already filled tank and don’t actually fill it for you.

Tebbsjeep

I'll be sure to get mine back. If I'm buying my own, I want it back every time. If I have to wait longer for them to fill it, no biggie. $66 doesn't seem too bad.

Tebbsjeep

So what is the benefit to owning a tank versus renting a tank, if you just swap it out every time? I would think if you swapped them each time you go in, how could you prove that you own it?

yz250_

So what is the benefit to owning a tank versus renting a tank, if you just swap it out every time? I would think if you swapped them each time you go in, how could you prove that you own it?

We rent all our tanks. Don't ever have to worry about repairs, maintenance, updates, etc. They just rotate them through. The cost is minimal

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Owning means you don’t pay the fee to lease it. Airgas letting me swap them out every time is really a nice thing because that way I don’t have to have it pressure tested and certified or whatever they do every few years. When I purchased it from them I had them print the receipt and write on it “customer owns cylinder” and I laminated it lol

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Humphries no longer leases tanks. Bruce told me they lost a lot of tanks at the end of a lease period since people had nothing invested. They do rent them short term though, but for that you put up a deposit for the full amount of the cost of the tank. The main thing with a purchased tank is to make sure your swap does not have a company name stamped in the neck ring which indicates store owned. Having a name painted on the side means nothing. Mine currently have a name on the ring, but Bruce said they keep track in the computer since I bought them there. If I ever leave the area, he said they will swap for ones with a blank ring.
As for as cost of gas, go big on the tank since most of the cost of a refill is the labor. Refill on my 120cf argon was $80 but only $85 on the 200cf. Also figure in your time and effort to go do the swap.

D

Deleted member 12904

I have two tanks one is leased through us welding supply on redwood rd and one is through norco. The one through us welding is on its second 10 year lease. Price seems comparable