Where to go

hoosier

mtn yot
So my girlfriend and I have been together for over 4 years and have never taken a REAL vacation. I want to take her on a nice vacation (No Hawaii). I want to go for a full week 7 days 6 nights (including travel). I want it romantic so that kinda counts out wheeling. we will have no kids. where do you all think I should take her? I was thinking Oregon cost maybe, Seattle, Chicago, New York, Miami, ect... somewhere there are things to do but also nice for a couple to go. Not looking for a "Night Life". Any ideas would be great.

rholbrook

Costa Rica. If you want to stay in the states, I like Washington DC, you have all the Smithsonians, all the history back there and a must see Holocaust Museum

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Caribbean would be my suggestion. All inclusive resort or even a cruise. Cruises are a BARGAIN for what you get. Way under $100 per day per person for food/lodging/entertainment. WAY relaxing and you can make things as romantic as she likes :D (buy a nice piece of jewelry -- necklace or something?-- for the occasion).

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Cruise.

its the cheapest way to see a bunch of awesome different places without having to drive all over the place or change hotel rooms. all meals, all entertainment, and depending on the package you get, all drinks are included. We've been on two so far, and will be booking more in the future. you cant put together a vacation for cheaper than a cruise; think about the gas, a hotel room, and meals/entertainment for two, and then compare to the price of a cruise. plus, you can book a ways out, and pay monthly towards it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The Oregon coast is one of my favorites. I like going right before/after school lets out for the year to avoid crowds. I think a cruise would probably be a bit more romantic though.

If you want to stay in the states, I like Washington DC, you have all the Smithsonians, all the history back there and a must see Holocaust Museum

X2. I've only scratched the surface in DC but it was a lot of fun.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Nature based, I like Seattle/Olympic Peninsula. You seem like a huge Twilight fan, so make sure and stop in at Forks, WA :D. Lake Quinalt/Quinalt lodge, super awesome, rain forests, ocean views, snow covered peaks. Plus some great places to go/visit/eat in Seattle.

If you want cultural based, I love going to New Orleans. It's like visiting a european country, only closer, with the french architecture, creole accents and food, spanish architecture/city planning. I ate so much bread pudding, read beans and rice, and po boys I'm still recovering 3 years later. Plus, the Atchafalaya basin is a short drive away, go see some gators and swamp people. You can also check out some amazing antebellum mansions/plantations. I'm not into 'night life,' but hitting up some live jazz at the local pubs was pretty cool. I don't drink, but a very fun night life even as designated driver.

Houndoc

So many options!

For a "nice" trip (to me that says not camping) then the Carribean is great if fits your budget. I have been to Grenada a couple of times and love it- stunning beaches with some great hotels and resturants. Grand Anse would be the place to stay. Also been to Aruba, was fun but far less sceinic. Personally, would vote to NOT do all inclusive as it isolates you from the country you came to see. Get out to eat and see things.

For U.S., hard to beat the Florida Keys and would also second New Orleans.

Oregon coast is beautiful, but the rain etc makes it more adventure than "nice" in my mind. Personally would find a full week in Chicago or New York tiresome.

Depending on your taste, Nashville can be fun. My wife and I went there last year when I had a conference and really enjoyed both the city and drives into surrounding areas.

Thumbs up also to Charelston, South Carolina- charming little city.

Again, don't know your budget, but another great place if can find a great deal would be Ireland- super friendly and fairly easy to get around in rental car, day trip to Paris can even fit in easily.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Gulf Coast never fails, Very fond of the white sugar sands of Penscaola down to Ft. Walton Beach. LOTS of old forts under different flags. But, please drop my wheels and lights off before you go...