Where's the fish at?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So I thought maybe an ongoing thread with fishing reports would be fun, especially for those of us (i.e. me) who aren't the best fishermen but are trying to be... :)

Friday we drove up Murdoch Basin Road and fished Echo Lake - caught lots of little 8 inchers on a rainbow Panther Martin, but nothing worth bringing home. Saturday, we hiked up to Silver Lake in AFC (what a hike!) and I got one 13 inch brook on a silver Super Duper, but that was the only nibble all day. He sure was tasty though. We were fishing in the afternoon both times, so that might have had something to do with it... or that's what I tell myself, anyway ;).

So where have you been? What are you catching, and with what?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
My bro and I caught 17 within a couple hours at Silver Lake Flat last monday. Any color PB was working, but they were little buggers. If you wanna go but want to release, take some barbless hooks, because they were swallowing pretty bad.

muleskinner

I've been to Otter Creek 6 times in 8 weeks, we have done really well. 3 weeks ago we caught 8 Rainbows, all over 3lbs, in two hours. Yesterday was pretty good, but the fish seem to be getting a little smaller.

We went to Fish Lake last weekend and did pretty good. We took home 10 Bows, 3 Macs and one Splake. The kids had a blast catching Perch every cast also.

Minersville Lake was really hot a few weeks ago but it has slowed down now.

Both places we caught bigger fish while bait fishing with Power bait or worms. Trolling seems to catch smaller fish.

airmanwilliams

whereabouts is Silver Lake Flat? good camping there too? ive been itching to get out and do some fishing and dont want to go to the Bountiful pond because I want to eat the fish.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
whereabouts is Silver Lake Flat? good camping there too? ive been itching to get out and do some fishing and dont want to go to the Bountiful pond because I want to eat the fish.

American Fork Canyon. Take the road to Granite campground just past Tibble and follow the signs. Bring shade.

DAA

I've been to Otter Creek 6 times in 8 weeks, we have done really well. 3 weeks ago we caught 8 Rainbows, all over 3lbs, in two hours.

Nice! Been way too many years since I have fished Otter. Back in the '80s it was practically my permanent weekend address for awhile.

Two weeks ago, fished Whitney reservoir for about an hour in the middle of the day. Only caught two nice cutts, by then my hands were so frozen and I was so tired of the wind I bagged it. Used a Jake's.

Last weekend, me and my buddy caught about ten small brookies in about an hour at Bess lake - on Jake's. Then I caught the crap out of slightly larger brookies at Crater lake for a couple hours - and caught two arctic grayling on back to back casts. First grayling I've ever caught, and caught them both during a very brief snow storm. Kind of weird, it had been raining/hailing/sleeting and I was catching chunky little brookies about every third cast. Then it started to snow and wham-bam, two grayling on two casts. Then it stopped snowing and it was nothing but brookies again. All I used was the same old gold Jake's.

Two days ago, my Son and I were catching itty-bitty brookies almost every cast at Amethyst lake on Jake's. Then later the same day we caught four 12-14" brookies in about an hour at lake BR24 - I caught two on the Jake's and my Son caught his two on a Little Cleo. Pictures of Amethyst and BR24 fishing from a couple days ago below.

IMG_0142WW.JPG

IMG_0146WW.JPG

IMG_0154WW.JPG

IMG_0150WW.JPG

IMG_0161WW.JPG

- DAA

airmanwilliams

Nice! Been way too many years since I have fished Otter. Back in the '80s it was practically my permanent weekend address for awhile.

Two weeks ago, fished Whitney reservoir for about an hour in the middle of the day. Only caught two nice cutts, by then my hands were so frozen and I was so tired of the wind I bagged it. Used a Jake's.

Last weekend, me and my buddy caught about ten small brookies in about an hour at Bess lake - on Jake's. Then I caught the crap out of slightly larger brookies at Crater lake for a couple hours - and caught two arctic grayling on back to back casts. First grayling I've ever caught, and caught them both during a very brief snow storm. Kind of weird, it had been raining/hailing/sleeting and I was catching chunky little brookies about every third cast. Then it started to snow and wham-bam, two grayling on two casts. Then it stopped snowing and it was nothing but brookies again. All I used was the same old gold Jake's.

Two days ago, my Son and I were catching itty-bitty brookies almost every cast at Amethyst lake on Jake's. Then later the same day we caught four 12-14" brookies in about an hour at lake BR24 - I caught two on the Jake's and my Son caught his two on a Little Cleo. Pictures of Amethyst and BR24 fishing from a couple days ago below.

IMG_0142WW.JPG

IMG_0146WW.JPG

IMG_0154WW.JPG

IMG_0150WW.JPG

IMG_0161WW.JPG

- DAA

beautiful areas in those pictures. loooks like good camping, fishing, and kayaking. Makes me miss oregon some.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Just got back from Flaming Gorge where we caught limits of Kokanee salmon, trout, and a good bunch of lake trout. We used the standard stuff for the salmon and even caught them on a pop-gear and a worm. Caught the nicest macks trolling a silver flat fish behind a big pop-gear. We have also fished East Canyon which was very good early on and the Uintas where we caught Brookies, tigers, rainbows and goldens. We also spent Memorial weekend on the Boulder mountains where we caught many cutts, tigers, rainbows , and fat brookies.

Attachments

• IMGP4114.jpg
    IMGP4114.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMGP4100.jpg
    IMGP4100.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

blznnp

went to mirror lake saturday, fish were jumping pretty good when we got there, caught on on second cast then on first cast in another spot, probably 8-10", also caught a couple at 12", some brook and tiger. stopped jumping shortly after we got there and when a lot more people started showing up.

ALF

SURE!?
My bro and I caught 17 within a couple hours at Silver Lake Flat last monday. Any color PB was working, but they were little buggers. If you wanna go but want to release, take some barbless hooks, because they were swallowing pretty bad.

I got skunked up there last week but the planting truck was coming down as I was going up so that would explain all the little ones your Bro caught.

DAA

We did a lot of fishing in the Uintas last month. Did "pretty good" in Murdoch Basin, fished Hoover, Echo, Marshall and Horseshoe. Fished just a couple hours one evening at Jean lake and it was pretty slow. We caught a bunch at Helen lake. Couldn't keep them off at Phinney. Caught some chunks at Squaw. Nice grayling and tons of small brookies at lower Rock lake. Caught about 50 decent brookies in a couple of hours at Shamrock - they were practically jumping out of the water to bite our lures before they even splashed down.

Helen lake

IMG_0829W.JPG

IMG_0834W2.JPG

IMG_0852W.jpg

Phinney lake

IMG_0948_W2.JPG

IMG_0965W2.JPG

IMG_0913W2.JPG

IMG_0919W.JPG

IMG_0982W2.JPG

Squaw lake

IMG_1060W2.JPG

IMG_1058W2.JPG

IMG_1070W.JPG

IMG_1077W2.JPG

Shamrock lake

IMG_1101W2.JPG

IMG_1114W2.JPG

IMG_1112W2.JPG

- DAA

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We did pretty good at Flaming Gorge. Using almost anything I threw in. It wasn't fast fishing but it was steady. My 7 year-old daughter caught a couple rainbows on powerbait (she likes the Superman colors but the fish seem to like the "corn" color more). I did OK with a smaller perch Rapala, caught a couple of bass (smallish) from the shore and did OK with a black Rooster Tail spinner for some trout (smallish 12-14"). My 15 year-old son caught a 14-15" Kokanee on a worm from the boat near the dam.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Hit Little Dell in the evening a week back or so and caught four nice cutts on flies. Hit Notch lake for a bunch of small brookies and hiked in to Fish, Round and Sand in the Weber drainage and caught a ton of greyling.