Which Dana 60 MFG????

fire4j15

X2 I Run that setup and have been running it with fortys on an 05 LJ Love it! If your running coil springs I would go at least 65" wm to wm wide, mine is 63" and the coils are kicked in on an angle to clear the knuckles and they rub everywhere!

That will be my next questions. My rear axle is 63". Will 65" up front be ok? Sounds like it needs to be 65" so it won't rub? Thanks

Matt

Anyone have first hand knowledge of Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's or Currie's Iron Rock Jock?

My bro has been running a front Dynatrac 60 for about 3 years now with no problems, however he only runs 38" and drives like he's on egg shells. :rofl:

Bob B

Tera can make you axle any way you want it. They will put the solid knuckes on it if you would like. As far as the pinion bearing thing......Yep they do use a bigger pinion bearing which in no way is a downfall. It would be the same bearing as what you already have in ther rear. It's not a problem, I don't really know anyone who just toasts the pinion bearing. If you smoke the bearing,you have ALOT bigger problem than getting the bearing.
As far as dynatrac, they have a similar problem to what was brought to light earlier. They have a skimmer/dam inside that keeps the oil up at the outer pinion bearing, if something happens on the inside and that skimmer/dam gets damaged, your looking at a couple day minimum to get that seal from dynatrac. They all have little ticks like that, but tera is the closest and parts are readily avalible.
Just my .02

PLUS it would match your rear. An thats cool....:D
P.s. Did you get your t-case fixed? I thought you were going to get a stak?

Last edited:

fire4j15

Tera can make you axle any way you want it. They will put the solid knuckes on it if you would like. As far as the pinion bearing thing......Yep they do use a bigger pinion bearing which in no way is a downfall. It would be the same bearing as what you already have in ther rear. It's not a problem, I don't really know anyone who just toasts the pinion bearing. If you smoke the bearing,you have ALOT bigger problem than getting the bearing.
As far as dynatrac, they have a similar problem to what was brought to light earlier. They have a skimmer/dam inside that keeps the oil up at the outer pinion bearing, if something happens on the inside and that skimmer/dam gets damaged, your looking at a couple day minimum to get that seal from dynatrac. They all have little ticks like that, but tera is the closest and parts are readily avalible.
Just my .02

PLUS it would match your rear. An thats cool....:D
P.s. Did you get your t-case fixed? I thought you were going to get a stak?

Yes my stak transfer case is sitting down at TeraflexPlus right now. Went with the 3-speed. Can't wait to try it out.

Spidey

http://www.truehi9.com/
http://www.spidertrax.com/
In my opinion there are two ways to make yourself happy, either build a junkyard d60 on the cheap or if your spending money, spend it right. If you spend the money,dont joke around. Get the new mega hi9 and a spidertrax front with 3 1/2 tubes. twisted customs or ben hanks can put it together. The spidertrax knuckles are years ahead of kingpins or ball joints. If you study the mega hi9, a 60 looks like a little girl in comparison, and 3 1/2 tubes with a bit of trussing would be ridiculous.
Or you could get one of those shimmed specials that leak like crazy from that place around 53rd south.
Go big or go cheap. I dont think tera, solid, dynatrac, or currie is worth the money.

Last edited:

fire4j15

http://www.truehi9.com/
http://www.spidertrax.com/
In my opinion there are two ways to make yourself happy, either build a junkyard d60 on the cheap or if your spending money, spend it right. If you spend the money,dont joke around. Get the new mega hi9 and a spidertrax front with 3 1/2 tubes. twisted customs or ben hanks can put it together. The spidertrax knuckles are years ahead of kingpins or ball joints. If you study the mega hi9, a 60 looks like a little girl in comparison, and 3 1/2 tubes with a bit of trussing would be ridiculous.
Or you could get one of those shimmed specials that leak like crazy from that place around 53rd south.
Go big or go cheap. I dont think tera, solid, dynatrac, or currie is worth the money.

Cool. I will check it out.

fire4j15

Has anyone ever seen the Dynatrac Prorock Dana 80 front axle? Read about it in Petersons Offroad mag a while back. Looks awesome and BIG. Would it be to big? Or is there such thing as being to big?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If you're itching to just drop coin on an axle, why not. 80's are HUGE. Go see Ben Hanks Racing and their monster axles-- they're enormous pumpkins. There IS a thing as being too big, as in "wicked overkill for your tires". I would think that 80 will take whatever tire they decide to run on it... if that's what you're into.

I don't really understand spending 8trillion dollars on an axle for trail rigs-- but then, I don't have 8 trillion dollars to spend on them LOL Maybe I would if I did. For me it's going to be stock 60's w/alloys and flanges, and that's about it-- and that's still going to be pushing probably $3500 all told. :(

fire4j15

If you're itching to just drop coin on an axle, why not. 80's are HUGE. Go see Ben Hanks Racing and their monster axles-- they're enormous pumpkins. There IS a thing as being too big, as in "wicked overkill for your tires". I would think that 80 will take whatever tire they decide to run on it... if that's what you're into.

I don't really understand spending 8trillion dollars on an axle for trail rigs-- but then, I don't have 8 trillion dollars to spend on them LOL Maybe I would if I did. For me it's going to be stock 60's w/alloys and flanges, and that's about it-- and that's still going to be pushing probably $3500 all told. :(

Tacoma, just looking to cover all my options before spending my money. My plan is to buy the strongest front axle I can get and be done. Then I can go wheeling and enjoy myself without having to baby my Front Rubicon 44.

Spidey

IMO an 80 puts more stress than needed on the rest of the drivetrain. A mega high 9 spidertrax combo weighs almost half that of an 80. While it is cool, building a front 80 gets crazy. Ask Von. Many people think that a super heavy axle is always good. I think you still have to move all that weight and you can go overkill. When all is said and done, a spidertrax mega hi9 is stronger than the 60 but weighs 200 pounds less.
I prefer being light, others don't. I think this axle I speak of is the best in the strength to weight ratio category. The mega high also has a 40 spline option. Ok, I'll stop selling this axle.

fire4j15

IMO an 80 puts more stress than needed on the rest of the drivetrain. A mega high 9 spidertrax combo weighs almost half that of an 80. While it is cool, building a front 80 gets crazy. Ask Von. Many people think that a super heavy axle is always good. I think you still have to move all that weight and you can go overkill. When all is said and done, a spidertrax mega hi9 is stronger than the 60 but weighs 200 pounds less.
I prefer being light, others don't. I think this axle I speak of is the best in the strength to weight ratio category. The mega high also has a 40 spline option. Ok, I'll stop selling this axle.

that 40 spline option is that with a ARB? Weight is a factor considering I have the little 4.0 liter motor. But a V8 is in its future next year.

Spidey

that 40 spline option is that with a ARB? Weight is a factor considering I have the little 4.0 liter motor. But a V8 is in its future next year.

But the weight will still bear down on your drivelines and t-case.
I run an LS1 but still like it light.

The megahi is only availiable in a 5.40 gear ratio for now.
A regular truehi is still stronger than a 60, especially up front.
The truehi is availiable in many ratios.
The 40 spline is a spool only for now so not optimal for a front if you want to drive on road. The 35 spline is great. I have an ARB in my rear truspi9. My front is a truspi9 with a detroit and warn hubs. Though I am not finished with my recent improvements, I will be running 37's. I would be very confident running anything under a 42 inch tire with flanges.
If I where running 40's like you plan I would prolly opt for the ARB in front with flanges.
Keep in mind, 4 of the KOH 09 top 10 ran this truspi9 set up not to mention the winner. In the past three years, the majority of top finishes in W.E. Rock have driven truspi9. I have the 3" tubes, but wish I had the 3 1/2.

Last edited: