• Dana 44

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Ford 8.8

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Just curious to see everyones opinions on this subject. I already have a 44 in my CJ so I won't change it, but I am still curious to see which side of the fence everyone rides on?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the 8.8 was fords replacement for the 9 inch. it has a super beefy ring and pinion and good sized shafts. you can get ARB, detroit and a couple other lockers for it and factory disc brakes are a total plus!! forget that D-44 crap if you can find an 8.8 from a 05 or newer explorer.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I do not understand why people like 8.8's so much. Most Ford builders toss them for a 60 or a 9". In stock form an 8.8 has c-clip axles, uses the shaft as the inner race for the bearing, is prone to bending the housing. The disks and r+p are good.
Sure you can build a bad A 8.8, but it will cost you. The only reason I see to build an 8.8 is if you need the abs sensor in it.

44's have more ratios, pressed bearings, more diff options, tons of bolt brake options, etc.

I havereplace many 8.8with 9"or 60'sfor customers in the past.

JMHO

Marc

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I agree with Marc, I'll never get over the c-clip thing, and don't tell me the calipers will hold the shafts in, that's not very comforting.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Ford replaced the 9" with the 8.8 to save money not because it is stronger. The only thing the 8.8 has that is better is the higher pinion.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
[pouting] fine....whatever.....I don't have anything negative to say about the D-44.....screw you guys....I'm going home[/pouting]

:p

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by Jeremy
I agree with Marc, I'll never get over the c-clip thing, and don't tell me the calipers will hold the shafts in, that's not very comforting.
Yeah, that is the thing with me too. everyone with an 8.8 says "If it does break an axle, THE CALIPER WILL HOLD IT IN" oh that's great. real reassuring. And how long do you drive with your rotor shoved into the brake pad for?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
OK....I'm in for the 8.8, assuming it's a lighter rig running 35" or under tires. If it's bigger tires than that, I don't think I'd run either the 8.8 or the D44. (I run a D44 and am pretty happy with it, though--isn't the grass always greener :D )

What about a Toy rear axle? Similar size and weight as the 8.8 or D44. Carl {That Rocklogic guy, you know} was telling me about 2WD 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern Toys......grab an electric locker out of a TRD and you've got something pretty cool, IMHO.

What if you break an axle on the D44? I'm not driving it very far, as the axle will have to 'wobble' within the housing if it breaks up near the carrier. That can't be a good thing to run very far as it will contact the inner tube and at least score it up pretty good (probably nothing serious, but nothing like a full float type of deal that you just pull the broken axle and go on your merry way). You can probably run it up the trail to a more 'convenient' spot to change it, but I think you'd be in a similar place with the 8.8.

Marc brings up a good point about housing strength, though. I've got the XJ D44 (and it seems smaller tubed to me than 'normal' D44--same u-bolt size as the D35 that came out) and helped Wayne put in an 8.8 and he's got larger diameter axle tubes than I do (I don't know if they are 'thicker' material, however) and the aforementioned disc brakes.

I'll follow this debate, as I don't know all of the 'points' and I hate c-clips as much as the next guy, but I'd tip the way of the 8.8 in an XJ or lighter Jeep, Sami, etc.

94rodeo

The stock 44 on my rodeo came with disc breaks. It also has some beefy shafts in there. I know of a bunch of 5 lug full floater 44's at a friends work. They are headed for the junk yard from what he told me. So i know you can get disc breaks and a full floater 44. If I were to go for a axle swap I would do the 9 inch and put disc breaks on it like my friend did.

Troy

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by 94rodeo
The stock 44 on my rodeo came with disc breaks. It also has some beefy shafts in there. I know of a bunch of 5 lug full floater 44's at a friends work. They are headed for the junk yard from what he told me. So i know you can get disc breaks and a full floater 44. If I were to go for a axle swap I would do the 9 inch and put disc breaks on it like my friend did.

Troy

What are 5 lug, Full float D44's from?

94rodeo

they are out of vehicles used in the mines. Bahmas i think. I will talk to them tonight if i can. Call me and i will let you know what is going on 435-381-2695. I might not get to asking right away as we are expecting a baby any day now.

Troy

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by 94rodeo
they are out of vehicles used in the mines. Bahmas i think. I will talk to them tonight if i can. Call me and i will let you know what is going on 435-381-2695. I might not get to asking right away as we are expecting a baby any day now.

Troy

Cool! Best of luck on the baby....

xjc

I give up :(
Speeking of rodeo axles, anybody know what the wms to wms on a rodeo 44 is. I know the new ones are coil sprung but unless I am mistaken, the pre98 or so ones were leaf.

Just wondering if the would be a suitable swap to a cherokee???

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by xjc
Speeking of rodeo axles, anybody know what the wms to wms on a rodeo 44 is. I know the new ones are coil sprung but unless I am mistaken, the pre98 or so ones were leaf.

I seem to remember that they are great swap candidates with the exception of the wheel bolt pattern.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by xjc

Good candidate to match with a 6 lug D44 Wagoneer front.

94rodeo

they are 6 lug. I have a 44 from an old cherokee and it is about 3 or 4 inches wider than the rear 44 on my rodeo. The pre 98 rodeo's are all leaf sprung rears. i can go measure my axle if you really want

Troy