Which rv/5th wheel solution for full time?

Bart

What Steve said, there were lots of transport buses that came with the raised roof behind the driver. I can't imagine anyone taking on that kind of a massive mod, but you never know.

sixstringsteve

I can't imagine anyone taking on that kind of a massive mod, but you never know.

there are a few people out there crazy enough to do it.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/t...es-two-foot-roof-raise-big-tailgate-1564.html

000_0082P40.jpg

000_0109P40.jpg

000_0119P40.jpg

100_0962paint50.jpg

7455131726_f583b56d10_o.jpg

1344396120_0cb90950e8_oP25.jpg

100_0948_edited-1small.jpg

Last edited:

Bart

Like I said, you never know. But, I can see raising the whole thing over starting behind the driver seat, but "you never know". Looks like a Burning Man special.

sixstringsteve

Not bad! I hear the tag axle is sure nice to have. We're still not quite ready to purchase unless we found the perfect one. We're still a couple months out to purchasing. Thanks for thinking of us and posting it here though!

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Not bad! I hear the tag axle is sure nice to have. We're still not quite ready to purchase unless we found the perfect one. We're still a couple months out to purchasing. Thanks for thinking of us and posting it here though!

Although the tag axle is nice to have, the one listed above is on the older Ford F53 chassis which is also still using 16" tires/wheels. They used the tag on that model because the coach itself was overloading the axle, tire and wheel rating leaving very little CCC. These as well as the GM tag axle models were hard on tag axle bearings because of the scrubbing when turning. Personally, I would "steer" clear of the one above, but that is just me. Not saying it isn't a nice, well cared for coach, I just don't like the light duty tag axle units.

On larger diesel coaches with tag axles they are much, much more heavy duty and will withstand the scrubbing, plus they have either a liftable tag axle for low speed, tight turning/manuevering or have a steerable tag axle such as on the Newell coaches. When in a campground at low speeds, I merely hit a switch on my dash which raises my tag axle a few inches and therefore doesn't scrub my tires.

Mike.

sixstringsteve

Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm still a few months out before I'm ready to get one. We've got a lot to do.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Since Ive worked on a few of these . I though I'd give ya a heads-up on the interior's . Most RVs come with the cheapest foam they can put in the interior and some matierials also .
My brother lived in my dads trailer for 6+ months and by the time we kicked him out the kitchen area seats were all wore out (foam smashed) .
Also have a family member that travels the country for his work and we have redone his interior twice now . First all of the seating areas with new high density foam and materials then (2nd time) all that and a whole remodel (new different color materials).
One thing about the materials is try to stay away from cloth like materials with tiny strands or lines (best I can explain it)
they tend to fray near seams or high traffic areas. The vinyls and fake leathers hold up better . It may be better to just change Rv's every few years to keep from getting wore out. IDK . Just my experience on a few 5th wheels and RV's ive worked on in the past.

Also beware on buying used. We looked at a RV at general rv. Upon getting away from the sales guy (test drive) and having a closer inspection of it we found the step was rusted out when the frame looked all nice and black then looking in the generator area , behind it we noticed green overspray like the thing had be repainted. Looking in some of the storage under seats we could find water damage like water had pooled up from underneath. We walked from that one and found something better .Im sure you can youtube RV inspections and find a ton of info . Hope that helps on the interior side of it anyways.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

After being up in Skyline Drive this past weekend, I saw a TON of 5th wheel trailers. Seeing the roughish roads they were able to traverse was pretty appealing. Question: If I bought a big triple axle 40' 5th wheel toy hauler, but I didn't load it up with toys, would it ride terribly? It seems like they're meant for heavy weights back there, like a jeep or sxs. I worry that it'd ride insanely tongue-heavy. The idea of ditching a toad is pretty appealing, and 5th wheels utilize their space pretty well.

The reason a toy hauler appeals is that I could have a mini garage for stuff like a bike repair stand, maybe a haircutting station for my wife, or a place to store some basic tools and camping gear.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Not sure on the ride stuff, but another advantage I can think of for a 5th wheel over an RV, is what if you had a mechanical failure on your RV and it was going to be at a shop for repairs. If its down for a bit of time your out of your home until its fixed. If you have a 5th wheel and your tow vehicle breaks, you still have your home while its being repaired.

sixstringsteve

Good point. Also, it's going to be easier to find parts for a tow rig than for a motorhome.

If I did have a motorhome and it broke down, we'd just go camping for that week. :)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I can't say for sure about the ride, but if you think about it inversely, loading too much weight would make your pin too light.

Based on my observations and my scientific Assumption, I think you would be fine.

Toy haulers have their axles placed very close to the garage area to maintain as much of a balance between too much and too little pin weight, despite being loaded or unloaded. It would be nice if the trailer axles could be slid like my semi trailer can. I have to compensate most every day for different load types. I can slide them as much as 6' if I need to adjust my axle weights.

sixstringsteve

It would be nice if the trailer axles could be slid like my semi trailer can. I have to compensate most every day for different load types. I can slide them as much as 6' if I need to adjust my axle weights.

wow, that's awesome, I didn't realize they could do that.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
wow, that's awesome, I didn't realize they could do that.

Yep, look at the frame near the axles on a lot of box-type semi trailers, you may see a series of holes roughly 1.25" in diameter and spaced probably about every 3". They slide the axles back for the light loads and forward for heavy loads.

They can also slide their trucks 5th wheel plate to adjust the distribution of weight on their drive axles.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I built the parking lot at Owens Corning (the insulation factory in Nephi) and every semi that came in to get loaded slid their trailer axles as far back as they could go.