Which rv/5th wheel solution for full time?

sixstringsteve

If I can make the bikes fit in the back easily, or if I can find an alternate solution, a ZJ is a very strong contender. It looks like the v8 models weigh in just under 4000 lbs. That should be fine for my needs.

Between the 5.2 v8 and the 5.9 v8, which is more reliable?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I've been doing a little researching to see if I could fit the bikes in the back of a ZJ. Here are a few cool images I found (with some XJ love mixed in). Looks like a tight fit. Add that I have one of the longest bikes on the market, extremely wide handlebars, and 27.5" wheels, and I'm not sure it'd fit. Anyone near Lehi have a ZJ I can test fit my bike with? Or if anyone has a zj/xj, could you measure from the back of the drivers seat to the back window? My bike has a 46" wheelbase, which means 60" from the back wheel to the forks.

4263486729_123fc71fa0.jpg

cacad6f8.jpg

bcsp6.jpg

PICT0788.jpg

i love this solution, but I"m pretty sure it's a WJ.

2598098664_5b38052b5f.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

it looks pretty tight back there. Honestly, if I could find a different solution for storing the bikes, I think a ZJ is at the top of my list for a toad.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
If I can make the bikes fit in the back easily, or if I can find an alternate solution, a ZJ is a very strong contender. It looks like the v8 models weigh in just under 4000 lbs. That should be fine for my needs.

Between the 5.2 v8 and the 5.9 v8, which is more reliable?

Steve, I don't think reliability wise there is really any difference between the two. The 5.9 was a fuel hog compared to the 5.2. The 5.9 was only offered in the "Limited" and is quite rare. The 5.2's are very popular and thus more readily available. With my ZJ on 31's and 4" of lift I was regularly getting in the 14-16 MPG range and a guys Limited that I did some work on told me he was in the 10-12 range. His was running 30's and 2" of lift but I don't know what his driving habits were so may not be a fair comparison.

it looks pretty tight back there. Honestly, if I could find a different solution for storing the bikes, I think a ZJ is at the top of my list for a toad.

My son's was tight with one but his is a 29er so with the front wheel off and rear wheel on it had to go in at a slight angle to get the rear gate closed. Two would have been possible I think, but you're right, it is tight back there.

Mike.

Caleb

Something to watch for on the ZJs, it seems every one I've worked on, rode in, or been around have had door problems. The sheet metal around the hinges begins to tear. I've patched it on my brother's but it was always a pain. It may not actually been a wide spread problem on them but in my limited experience with them it seems like it is.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Something to watch for on the ZJs, it seems every one I've worked on, rode in, or been around have had door problems. The sheet metal around the hinges begins to tear. I've patched it on my brother's but it was always a pain. It may not actually been a wide spread problem on them but in my limited experience with them it seems like it is.

I did not know that. I haven't seen that on any of mine but door jambs are one of my pet peeves. I clean and wipe them down thoroughly when washing my vehicles and I usually lube door hinges as part of my PM's on my personal vehicles. I haven't paid that close attention on any of the ones I have worked on, maybe I should start looking and seeing if there is a pattern.

Mike.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Like said bikes wl fit with the back seat down and front tire off but it is tight. You are right Steve that ZJs have the nicer interiors than Xjs. Good luck on your search.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Good call on the space but the Commander will weigh more.

Not much at all, if any. The Commander is very similar in weight to the same year GC. The differences between the Commander and GC are all in the body. The Commander is only 2 inches longer than a GC, all the extra room comes from it's shape. The curb weight of both is between 4,700-5,100 lbs depending on how it's equipped.

sixstringsteve

I think a zj is closer to 3900-4100 lbs. Does a commander have the same engine and reliability?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

we have been renting a 30' class c this weekend. We are on day 3 right now, and we have learned a lot.

I'm really tempted by the school bus option again, provided I can find a reliable model. I think I could get by without propane, which would simplify the build a little. 600 watts of solar, many batteries, and if I got a front engine I could have a garage in back.

sixstringsteve

We are pretty sure we're going to build a school bus for our RV. The commercial RVs are out of our price range, and a lot of them just aren't built that well. Plus we don't need a microwave, propane stovetop, oven, or blackwater tank (we'll be using a composting toilet). Looking at busses, it looks like the ideal combo is a DT466 with a MD3060 with the 6th gear right from the factory. I'd like to get one with the rear emergency exit so I can build a little garage in the back for the bikes.

The crazy part is that my wife is even more excited about this than I am, and she wants to help build the bus. I have a LOT to learn about electricity, water pumps, and busses.

Last edited:

jentzschman

We are pretty sure we're going to build a school bus for our RV. The commercial RVs are out of our price range, and a lot of them just aren't built that well. Plus we don't need a microwave, propane stovetop, oven, or blackwater tank (we'll be using a composting toilet). Looking at busses, it looks like the ideal combo is a DT466 with a MD3060 with the 6th gear right from the factory. I'd like to get one with the rear emergency exit so I can build a little garage in the back for the bikes.

The crazy part is that my wife is even more excited about this than I am, and she wants to help build the bus. I have a LOT to learn about electricity, water pumps, and busses.

Awesome, a buss would be very cool indeed to build. If you need help, don't hesitate to let me know.
Curious, why do yo think you will not need or want propane? I know you have the induction top, but why are you thinking no propane?

Last edited: