which winch for a guy who doesn't like winches?

sixstringsteve

Yes, it has a 5300 lb capacity throughout whereas an spool only has its rated on wrap #1 hence the need to add a safety factor. On top of that, you can always multiply by using a snatchblock.

interesting... so you feel comfortable that the 5300 lb hand winch is safe to use with my 4800 lb truck?

What is the line strength on the ARB unit? I understand that adding a snatchblock will double my rating, but how much can the line handle?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Doubling with a snatch block doesn't change how much tension the line sees, you just have two lines pulling at 8000# (in my case) instead of one.

sixstringsteve

agreed. With a snatch block, the winch will handle twice the load with the same effort, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cable can handle twice the weight. So if I"m trying to move an 8000 lb rig, the mechanism can handle it if I use a snatch block, but I'm not sure if the line can handle it or not.

So I can pull 5300 lbs with a single pull.

Or I can pull 10,600 lbs with a snatch block doubling it. Can the cable support 10,600 lbs?

Kurt has a cool chart for calculating the extra weight of a vehicle when in mud up the the hubs, frame, etc. It's easy to double the effective weight of your rig in those conditions.

Last edited:

Cherokeester

agreed. With a snatch block, the winch will handle twice the load with the same effort, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cable can handle twice the weight. So if I"m trying to move an 8000 lb rig, the mechanism can handle it if I use a snatch block, but I'm not sure if the line can handle it or not.

So I can pull 5300 lbs with a single pull.

Or I can pull 10,600 lbs with a snatch block doubling it. Can the cable support 10,600 lbs?

Kurt has a cool chart for calculating the extra weight of a vehicle when in mud up the the hubs, frame, etc. It's easy to double the effective weight of your rig in those conditions.

I wouldn't want to be hand cranking a deal like that with the cable at my waste ready to break and cut me in half, no sir.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
each length of the cable still has 5300 lbs of tension. It's two cables with 5300 lbs that get you to 10,600. The snatch block will see 10,600 to it's mounting point though.

sixstringsteve

I wouldn't want to be hand cranking a deal like that with the cable at my waste ready to break and cut me in half, no sir.

I don't see it as any different than standing near the front of a vehicle with a remote. There's no doubt that an electric permanently mounted winch is the preferred setup most of the time. However, I've never needed to use a winch before, so for me, the pros don't outweigh the cons. With synthetic line on a hand-ratchet, I don't see any more danger than an electric winch mounted on the front of a rig.

Cherokeester

I don't see it as any different than standing near the front of a vehicle with a remote. There's no doubt that an electric permanently mounted winch is the preferred setup most of the time. However, I've never needed to use a winch before, so for me, the pros don't outweigh the cons. With synthetic line on a hand-ratchet, I don't see any more danger than an electric winch mounted on the front of a rig.

Only guys with death wishes stand in front of their winch, they come with long cables to get you away or even wireless remotes. Stand clear or be in your vehicle!

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I have to say I'm one for removable winches if you are looking to have multiple options and keep down cost. I had one on my Xj and it served me well. I had a receiver built in the trunk area of the truck to keep it tied down properly while not in use. On each end of the vehicle I had quick connects as well as receiver bumpers. The quick connects not only got used for the winch but for jumper cables and welding as well with a 16' lead I had. It was also nice because if I was just using it to drive around town I could take it out of the back to save weight and space. With those 16' leads I could put the winch into any vehicle that had a receiver. All this being said the next vehicle will most likely have a front and a rear winch instead of the removable setup I had before.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
each length of the cable still has 5300 lbs of tension. It's two cables with 5300 lbs that get you to 10,600. The snatch block will see 10,600 to it's mounting point though.

Correct and the ARB line is >5300lbs to suit the capacity of the winch head. The only downfall do snatch blocking is increased rigging time and line speed, both a non issue when considering the uses of the hand winch.

sixstringsteve

The only downfall do snatch blocking is increased rigging time and line speed, both a non issue when considering the uses of the hand winch.

The only other potential downfall is idiots thinking their winch (especially their cable) can now handle twice the weight. So they'll try things that their line can't handle, like tugging their big dually out of a ditch now that they have "twice the power."

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Only guys with death wishes stand in front of their winch, they come with long cables to get you away or even wireless remotes. Stand clear or be in your vehicle!

There is a Myth Busters episode just for you but admittedly the urban lore is much funner. With safe practices and protocol working near the winch or a hand winch has been a non issue. I challenge you to find a hand winch user it even come along user that is missing a limb. Many use hand winches on a daily basis all over the globe, military park service, etc. I'm about 150x more concerned with the danger of a hi-lift ;)

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
My <$300 8000lb harborfreight winch has never let me down in it's 5 years of use, I'm glad I got it. I don't wheel alone either but it's still saved my aas a few times. I've ended up using it in several situations where I didn't think I'd ever need it. Get a synthetic rope though, dealing with a heavy, sharp, steel ropein terrain you can barely walk on is no fun. With a synthetic rope you can just unspool it into your hand and throw it. It also saves alot on weight, I literally noticed a handling difference when I put the winch on my YJ even without the steel cable.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Steve, from your first post it seems as though you're avoiding an electric winch largly because you don't want to be judged as a mall-crawler.

Who cares? Do what makes sense with your setup and budget.

I've always been a fan of the 2" receiver and prewired winch hookups at both ends. Store the winch away in the bed and pull it out only when needed. Benefits: it's out of the elements, it can be left home during 98% of the time you drive the truck, only affects departure angles once hooke up, and nobody sees it and assumes you're a poser - of that's some thing that keeps you up at night. ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I ran a Mile Marker 9500 for years (now have a made in Chiwan version of the Warn which has been great too). Having a winch was a lifesaver when I use to do a lot of snow wheeling and I used it a LOT :cool: To this day I think the MM is one of the best winches out there. Its decently priced, it tucks away easily in a bumper and you can mount the solenoid box virtually anywhere (some winches don't have that feature) and it was very reliable. It would easily pull a freight train. however it was slower than a herd of turtles marching through peanut butter! lol. Because they are so slow they will drain a battery quickly if you're trying to pull in a full spool--half spool was no problem with a good battery.

As for wiring they are simple and the mechanics are simple as well. As for not working after sitting for long periods of time I have seen it happen but it was all due to neglect. As long as the connections stay clean and it hasn't been submerged in water for months on end I can't see a problem.

Cherokeester

There is a Myth Busters episode just for you but admittedly the urban lore is much funner. With safe practices and protocol working near the winch or a hand winch has been a non issue. I challenge you to find a hand winch user it even come along user that is missing a limb. Many use hand winches on a daily basis all over the globe, military park service, etc. I'm about 150x more concerned with the danger of a hi-lift ;)

I agree with you Kurt, I almost died at the hand (or handle) of a hi lift. They are the most dangerous things on a rig but I still have one. Yes it is hard to find winch failure and severed limb accidents yet is that reason to be careless and throw safety out the window? I must be getting old and more reserved because I still would not use a hand winch or come along if you paid me but that is just me. I have seen winch fests that rival the stupidity of a boat ramp on a Saturday afternoon and most made it out because they were lucky. Most winch accidents are losing fingers when the cable feeds into the drum and not from cable breakage. However, winch points come off of vehicles from time to time and that could turn into a death missle in a hurry.

Last edited:

GAR

I have a receiver mounted winch with hook-ups both front and rear. I am fortunate to have an awesome brother who gave me his old smittybuilt 10k for a wedding present (I think he mostly wanted to get a new Warn powerplant and this was a good way to justify it to his wife) otherwise I probably still wouldn't have a winch.

Here's how I feel about it,

Cons:
It's super heavy, mine ways 120lbs. This makes it hard to move around. specially getting it in and out of your bed
Where do you store it in your truck? strap it down? sliding around in your bed? do you have to dig around other stuff to get to it?
Running power cables long distances
Do you wait until your stuck to hull it out hook it up? This can be awkward if you're at weird angles, it's muddy/wet/slippery, in a tight spot where its doesn't fit

Pros:
It's nice to have front and rear pull capabilities
I leave it at home 99% of the time
Keeps weight of the front end
doesn't get road grimed/dirty

I think it would be a lot better if it lost some weight. If I used it a lot, I would make a new cradle that was lighter (handles don't need to be so beefy) use and aluminum fairlead and get some synthetic line. That's all time and money and I would rather spend it on other stuff

L1020880.JPGL1020882.JPG