Who does your taxes?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
We finally got all of our W2s in the mail, now we need to find someone to do our taxes. Who do you use? Are places like Hewlitt-Jackson and H&R Block reliable? Or do you stick to a tradition accounting firm?

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
we have used turbo tax in the past. we tried an accountant but he could'nt get any more back than the turbo tax program could. and for me it is all about getting my money back. if I owned a business, then I would have one, but I haven't found one that could pay for himself in my case.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Our situation is kinda odd though. We each (wife and I) have two W2s from each having switched jobs this last year, plus my wife cleans the Provo FBI office twice a week and she's paid as an independent contractor so they don't take taxes out. Would Turbo Tax work that out?

Bart

Yes, you can enter multiple W2s for a person. It walks you right through it. You can also enter the info from the 1099 you get for the independent contractor. It's pretty easy.

My son has 8 W2s. It's a pain but it's very doable. Luckily it stores data from the previous year on them, so most the information comes over.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have 2 w2's, a form that shows income from sale of stock, 2 mortgage interest forms, 1 form that shows interest earned on investments, and a bunch of receipts (phone bills, vehicle mileage etc) that I need to claim...

That being said, should I find an accountant? I've always used turbotax but I was thinking that it might be worth the extra $$ to have a professional do them this year...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If I were you, I'd use an accountant. That is a pain in the rear dealing with all that stuff. That's when accountants are worth it. :D

Not that TurboTax won't handle it all, just depends on your tolerance for irritating, painstaking data entry, and wading through the forms just so.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I hate it. I did my taxes myself by hand a couple years ago....it sucked.

4 months later I got a letter from the IRS saying I had miscalculated my return and instead of getting $500 (or whatever) I was supposed to get $1200.

Needless to say, I'll never do them myself again. I figure a good accountant will probably pay for themself.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I got Turbotax this year and it has a search button that I hit and put in whatever the form says it is like 1099-Div and it goes to wherever I was supposed to enter it and I can put in the info. It's not too bad as long as you can figure out what form you have.

Bart

It will handle all that, but you may want to consider an accountant. There could be some additional expenses you could write off that you may not think about. You'd want the Premier verson of TT because it does a pretty good job of asking the right questions. It sounds like you have a business. Investment income is based on short term and long term investments, so you need to be careful you how enter the income. On mileage you should always keep a paper trail of dates and mileage, and destinations in case you ever get audited. I used to do a lot taxes for companies and people. I'm glad I just do my families now.

Bart

I hate it. I did my taxes myself by hand a couple years ago....it sucked.

4 months later I got a letter from the IRS saying I had miscalculated my return and instead of getting $500 (or whatever) I was supposed to get $1200.

Needless to say, I'll never do them myself again. I figure a good accountant will probably pay for themself.

Sounds like you missed the earned income credit. For some reason TT missed that one year. I knew about it and was able to add it on, but it did throw TT through a loop.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
If you guys are State Farm Insurance customers you can use turbotax for free and they will pay for your e-file for FREE!!

Go to www.statefarm.com and look in the margin on the lower right for the free turbo tax icon. You will have to generate a login to the state farm site but I used it yesterday and they e-mailed me a receipt for e-file and it was $0.00. They will do both state and federal for free and it is the full super duper version of turbo tax.

Ohms

'Poser Wheeler
A buddy of mine from the frat days now works in a well respected firm. He does my taxes for about fifty bucks and has saved/made me thousands of dollars. I went as far as doing Turbo Tax and getting a refund amount, then went to him and the refund amount doubled. I'll stick to Matt Smith& Associates:D

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Did it my self when I was younger (1040EZ) and stuff was simple.

Later used Turbo Tax, it worked but I stressed me out when I had stuff and did not know what to do with it or where to put it (sounds like a teenager loosing their virginity).

After a few years if stressing my self out I used H&R Block. Very expensive and really did not make things any easier. I had questions and they had some of the answers. And this was using their "premium" service.

For the last few years I've been using a accountant and its been smooth sailing. I send him a huge packet with info and he sends back a nice tidy binder and a note saying you will be getting $XXXX in the mail.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
the same accountant that messed mine up last year is doing mine again... he switched mine and my little bro's name with all of our tax info...

If he sucks this year, i'll be findin someone new for next year..