Who has a 6.0 Chevy

193kyle

Well I am in the market for a new truck, it will be daily driven and also tow my Toyota to the trails. I think i want a 2500 with the 6.0, just want to hear any pros and cons from anyone who drives one.

ALF

SURE!?
that is exactly what I've been looking at for a new rig. I figured my 97 with a 5.7 does alright so the 6.0 should be fine and I plan on getting one with the 5 speed auto.

moabrangler

I've got one. I have a 02 GMC 2500 HD. 4x4. I haul my Jeep on a 20' trailer with it . It does good but I think I'd like a little more power. I haven't done any eng mods yet, headers, intake, has a Magna flow exhaust. It does have a Hyper tech in it not really a noticeable difference for the bucks.

Last edited:

wildkid

...Jeepless...
Up until recently I drove a 2002 Chev 2500 with the 6.0 and auto trans.

I had added a Volant air intake, hypertech programmer and a Magna-Flow exhaust. It drove very well, had good power and towed with decent mileage (12-13).

I now drive an '05 Ram with the Hemi and has the same mods as the Silverado. The Chev's motor had a different power curve, which I actually like better than the Hemi when towing. That and the Hemi gets half the mileage towing the same load.

I'd definately get another Chev/GMC with the 6.0. What's even better though is the new 6.2 ;)

lewis

Fight Till You Die
My Bro in law had one and it had a big problem with piston slap and was told that it is a common problem on them.

great scott

My work truck is an 04 2500HD with the 6.0 and 4L80E. I keep the thing loaded to the gills with tools, parts, fuel and the like. As it sits it tips the scals at nearly 9000lbs. The only mod is air bags just to keep the r/h as it should be. Bottom line is it has been a great truck. I avrage only around 12mpg but remember its always under load, and even with a trailor the mpg has never droped bellow 10, and I can still pull most any grade at speed.

ID Bronco

I have one in a 2000 2500 Suburban. I think the 8.0 would be better since I get 12 mpg and 9-10 towing. Why not have the extra power with about the same mileage. The motor is strong, but not exceptional. No mods on it yet, but soon.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Personally I would go with a half ton with a 5.3 in it. I had one the same time my bro in law had the 6.0, the 5.3 towing a trailer with 5 fourwheelers did just as good as the 6.0 with four on a trailer. It also got 14-15 mpg towing and the 6.0 was 12-13. For a daily driver it was great getting 17-18 mpg. The only thing is that the a$$ end does sag a little more being a half ton. Not anything helper springs won't fix.

78mitsu

Personally I would go with a half ton with a 5.3 in it. I had one the same time my bro in law had the 6.0, the 5.3 towing a trailer with 5 fourwheelers did just as good as the 6.0 with four on a trailer. It also got 14-15 mpg towing and the 6.0 was 12-13. For a daily driver it was great getting 17-18 mpg. The only thing is that the a$$ end does sag a little more being a half ton. Not anything helper springs won't fix.

I have a 1/2 ton, with a 5.3, it's got plenty of power, but I don't think it has quite enough brakes to stop a big trailer even with trailer brakes, and it does give up carry capacity for ride quality. I've pulled 14,000 pounds with it, but it isn't something I would do all the time. I'm looking to upgrade to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton with a duramax, cheapest I've seen is 27,

skybob

I'd go with the 8.1 over the 6.0 any day. It's not that much worst mpg and it's A LOT more power. Oh and if it's a 8.1 it has the Alisson trans behind it :)

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Never owned, but drove one from Springville to North of Salt Lake somewhere, like head east before you get to Ogden and then back to S-ville.

Truck was loaded to the gills with Rebar, and it had been aftemarket enhanced in the suspension department and was towing a form trailer loaded to the hilt with Forms, I know I was at least 16-18,000 pounds, t and t.

Pulled 70+ all the way up, got 10, maybe. Coming back with just a truck load of rebar, heavy load of rebar and stakes, mind you, it did closer to 12 and felt like a hot rod, good motor, was happy with the loaded performance..

Houndoc

I would second the thumbs up for the 5.3 in a 1/2 ton. Tows well and probably can pick one up a lot cheaper. Made a run to Flaming Gorge over the weekend towing 22' boat (roughly 5k pounds) with a Yukon XL.

I didn't push the steep climbs too hard (whats the point?) and kept speeds comfortable (slowed to 55 or so on the long climbs on I-80 east of Evanston, could have been fasted if I felt like pushing the engine harder).

With the surge brakes on the trailer, stopping is very little different that when not towing. From Grantsville to Flaming Gorge and back to Moutnain View averaged 13 mpg.

As for the comments supporting the 8.1, I know a couple of people with them and they struggle to hit double digits on MPG, even without towing. That is roughly 1/2 on what I get with the 5.3.

If you can find one with reasonable miles for a fair price, the 6.0 2500 would be a great way to go. However, you should do fine with the 1500 with a 5.3 (tow rating in my Yukon XL is over 7,000 lbs).

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I just picked up an 02 2500 HD 48K miles with the 8.1/allison last week. I kind of walked in to it. I couldn't find any 3/4 tons used on the lots, and feared the high mileage ones in the trader. I wanted the 6.0 but the 8.1 was all that was on the lot. I didn't really shop a whole lot, I was afraid this truck wouldn't be there in a day or two since I was lucky enough to be on the lot when they cleared it from the service dept. A dmax was out of my price range for now, I'll try to get into one in 3-4 years.

I am going to use it to tow my 30' (8500#) TT. I haven't made a long trip with it yet. I did make about a 25 mile trip on I-15 with the trailer. The truck pulled good, but not nearly as strong in the 50-70mph as my chipped stroker was, but a stock gasser to a chipped diesel isn't really apples to apples.

A friend of mine has an '05 6.0 2500HD and pulls his 27' TT with it. Over the holiday weekend we went camping, he pulled faster and used less fuel than my stroker did. That tow comparison and the much improved ride quality over the Ford is why I traded my diesel in.

I'd vote for the 6.0 or 8.1 if you can find one.