Whole House Fan install

I will say at some point I need to add some more roof or attic venting to the outside. I can only run the whole house fan effectively on low. On high, there isn't enough roof vent to let the air out.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I saw that Rocky Mountain Power is offering a $125 rebate on whole house fans. Looks like there are some rules to follow (including having it installed by a program certified HVAC contractor), but figured this might help someone out on here.

astjp2

Ridge cap vent is the best type of venting and will move a lot of air.
I will say at some point I need to add some more roof or attic venting to the outside. I can only run the whole house fan effectively on low. On high, there isn't enough roof vent to let the air out.

Brad J

That's good to know about the mosquitoes. Did you put the mesh on the end of the fan itself?

Edit: What's the shiny stuff against the roof? Do you have insulation up on top there or something? Mine just has nails to catch a shoulder, head, or unsuspecting hand. ;)

I tried to make a big ball at the end of the unit and wrapped it with masking tape and wire. Hoping that it wouldn't put as much strain on the fan with more surface area to get the air past it. It looks like there is about 20 dead mosquito's that got sucked up in there when the fan was on from inside the house.

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

The shinny stuff is a Radiant Barrier. It dropped the temp in my attic by about 20 degrees if I recall.
https://www.amazon.com/RadiantGUARD...ywords=radiant+barrier&qid=1568659970&sr=8-10

Brad, that is an awesome thermometer setup you have.

Is it wireless? Do you have a model or link?

Yep that is the one. Wireless transmitters that seem to work great. I hit the light button for the pic to see it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAA

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I saw that Rocky Mountain Power is offering a $125 rebate on whole house fans. Looks like there are some rules to follow (including having it installed by a program certified HVAC contractor), but figured this might help someone out on here.

It says "Work must be completed by a Program-Eligiable HVAC Contractor or may be self-installed "

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Installed my fan today. Not too bad at all, even though the workspace is naturally cramped. Wiring comes next--but for now it's running on an extension cord running up through my attic access. :rofl:

I can tell already that I'm gonna like having this thing. :cool:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Installed my fan today. Not too bad at all, even though the workspace is naturally cramped. Wiring comes next--but for now it's running on an extension cord running up through my attic access. :rofl:

I can tell already that I'm gonna like having this thing. :cool:

How do you plan to wire it? Switches or wireless?

For the mean time you could run the extension cord to a WiFi outlet to have some control.

While I used a wireless controller, I utilized the 3 prong cord so that in the event of a power outage we could still plug it into the generator and have some "A/C".

I'm glad you are liking it, I think my wife like ours more than I do. She does a great job kicking it on when the temperature allows or when she's cooking, using chemicals/cleaners.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I got my $125 rebate from Rocky Mountain Power yesterday. :cool:

We're past the main time to use the fan, but we REALLY REALLY like having it...looking forward to springtime fan usage again. :D

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So I jumped on the fan band wagon today. Sort of. I really like the idea, but I also really like not spending money.
we installed central air over the winter. We have 4 of the bonaire swamp coolers. I cut the oldest one up and used it for parts.
we replaced our roof a few years ago, and all the old roof top swamp cooler stuff is still in the attic.

This is what I started with:

64A6758D-7152-4FC8-BE5F-68498713F1DB.jpeg

I took the square fan part out of the swamp cooler.

EC28DEEB-CD11-47BC-8FD6-6D7E30F80083.jpeg

I removed the cover and insulation pad from the old roof mount swamp. This is in the hall above the stairs on our second floor. Seemed like the best location, even without the perfect hole already there

A7B77AAB-9301-4581-A1C1-1FC0EC7F2E9B.jpeg

At first,,I was trying to set my fan up into the metal ducting that was already in place, but after I climbed into the attic for the first time, I realized I could do it all with just the swamp fan and the round vent already in the attic. I pulled it all out, stuck the vent tube on the swamp fan and stuck it back in the hole. I stretched the vent back out a ways and secured it to the rafters.

8875B1BA-1336-4EFC-9683-153B0E1CC1FD.jpeg
C105ED50-3405-417F-AD2D-7615D1662A04.jpeg

By the time I got to this point, hardware stores are closed, and the minimalist in me has thrown away all the electrical parts I used to hoard. I need a switch to replace what was previously the swamp cooler control, and a junction box and plug for up in the attic.

68D6ED12-A563-4C50-BEE7-4881BA22268F.jpeg

I wanted to try it out, so I ran an extension cord into the attic. The fan did a great job, and cooled the house 7 degrees in 1.5 hours.
I will have to buy/make a cover for it now to make it look better, and be able to prevent unwanted flow.

With the fan off, and nothing else in the house on, it is interesting to watch the fan spin on it's own from just the heat rising through the attic.
A few down sides to doing it this way is that the fan is on the ceiling, not in the attic, so I am sure it is louder than a normal WHF. It's not any worse than when it was used as a swamp cooler through the window though. It will also require some effort to make the cover I think.

A few positives about doing it this way are that it has a variable speed motor that I can change if I want a slower fan speed. Also, I am into the project about 3 hours including all clean up so far.. and a total of about $0.89 after I buy a switch and junction box on Monday.

Pretty happy with my redneck solution so far. After all, 'Fixed is Fixed', right?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Nice repurpose.
I'd be interested to see how a ceiling fan remote works on one of these. It is awesome to have control from bed or be able to set a timer/temp threshold.
I don't know if this would exceed a ceiling fan current rating?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Nice repurpose.
I'd be interested to see how a ceiling fan remote works on one of these. It is awesome to have control from bed or be able to set a timer/temp threshold.
I don't know if this would exceed a ceiling fan current rating?

The cooler does have a remote.. I'll have to see if it will work from my bedroom.. could be convenient.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We’ve been using our fan every evening for most of the month. We leave it on till after midnight or so. It gets cold enough in the house that we are under multiple blankets. This also keeps the house cooler for longer during the day. We have not yet turned on our A/C a single time. There has been a couple days I was tempted.. but we were only an hour or two until dusk, so we held out until the temps dropped.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
We’ve been using our fan every evening for most of the month. We leave it on till after midnight or so. It gets cold enough in the house that we are under multiple blankets. This also keeps the house cooler for longer during the day. We have not yet turned on our A/C a single time. There has been a couple days I was tempted.. but we were only an hour or two until dusk, so we held out until the temps dropped.
Same. :D