why o why?????//

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My dad lives in Georgia and they celebrated on the 3rd. I guess there are a few mormons there as well, sounds like they are ruining everything everywhere. I guess I should say Utards instead of mormons even though that is what I mean.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
What bothers me the most about this state is the fact that Pioneer days are more important than the 4th. Every year it seems the celebrations are bigger on the 24th than they are on the 4th. Since when did a state holiday become more important than the national holiday celebrating the very thing that allowed the state to have their own holiday in the first place.

ID Bronco

July 4th or any other holiday should be celibrated on the day it falls on! That is one of the things that really bothered me about Utah.

I understand this position, but to many the sabbath day is very important, see the ten commandments on this one. So if some belivers choose to celebrate the sabbath (observance of it) on the day it falls on more power to them. Since our Country is divinely started by God I think we should follow him for his continued support and guidence. For me its a mix between celebrating the commercial part of it on the 3rd and I see Jacks opinion on no conflict for him. Everyone has their own perspective on this. Like Goat said it may be a mute point if it's economical on Saturday.

I don't personally believe the city fireworks or the parade are the celebration anyway. They are fun and do bring patriotic feelings which is awesome but Dads need to sit down with their families and explain the significance and blessing of this Country.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The independence of America was voted on July 2nd by the Continental Congress, the Declaration of Independence dated July 4th, and actually signed August 2nd. John Adams noted that July 2nd would be the date celebrated with fireworks etc.. So why then is it the 4th of July that is celebrated?

I don't know..

I do find it funny that the LDS church becomes the target when questions of, 'why are we not celebrating the actual 4th?', raise. Can the spirit of America's Independence Day not be celebrated on another day? After All, the actual day that was supposed to be the day of celebration, the 2nd, got the shaft..

If you truly loved this country, you would've been celebrating America's independence on the 2nd of July with me. Kool-aid drinking suckers. ;)

-Jason

Last edited:

Racer Xterra

"July 4th or any other holiday should be celibrated on the day it falls on! That is one of the things that really bothered me about Utah. " ....(Previous post above)

I think UTAH is great! A few years back in San Jose, CA the city didn't have funding for Independence day fireworks but they sure did spend a lot for their Cinco De Mayo Fireworks display. I'm happy to be living in a state that is patriotic.

Just my 2C.....

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Just in case no one knew I am a mormon. I joined the church in 1979 at age 49 and have never been happier by completely turning my life around. I was a drinker and had been married three times but had four wonderful children that stayed with me through all the turmoil. I have now been married to my ETERNAL companion Joan for 28 years. Any church is made up of human beings that have their free agency to accept or reject any or all of its teachings. Remember that your church can be yourself, money, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim or even four wheeling. We are all different but within RME we all have the common denominator of loving four wheeling in this free country "as long as we can keep it" to quote Benjiman Franklin.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If you truly loved this country, you would've been celebrating America's independence on the 2nd of July with me. Kool-aid drinking suckers. ;)

-Jason
I did celebrate on the 2nd... I went up to Logan and they had their fireworks on Friday. Maybe they just did fireworks on the night they will have the largest attendance and there wasn't a big conspiracy involved... or maybe that's just what they want you to think...:spork:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The tin foil hats also add a bit of protection from sparks and other firework projectiles.

CJ Matt

What bothers me the most about this state is the fact that Pioneer days are more important than the 4th. Every year it seems the celebrations are bigger on the 24th than they are on the 4th. Since when did a state holiday become more important than the national holiday celebrating the very thing that allowed the state to have their own holiday in the first place.

X2

I understand this position, but to many the sabbath day is very important, see the ten commandments on this one. So if some belivers choose to celebrate the sabbath (observance of it) on the day it falls on more power to them. Since our Country is divinely started by God I think we should follow him for his continued support and guidence. For me its a mix between celebrating the commercial part of it on the 3rd and I see Jacks opinion on no conflict for him. Everyone has their own perspective on this. Like Goat said it may be a mute point if it's economical on Saturday.

I don't personally believe the city fireworks or the parade are the celebration anyway. They are fun and do bring patriotic feelings which is awesome but Dads need to sit down with their families and explain the significance and blessing of this Country.

Many that came to country did so to escape religious persecution. I don’t know why nobody ever mentions that. That could be why our founding fathers wanted separation of church and state, not states that base their laws on religious beliefs.

The independence of America was voted on July 2nd by the Continental Congress, the Declaration of Independence dated July 4th, and actually signed August 2nd. John Adams noted that July 2nd would be the date celebrated with fireworks etc.. So why then is it the 4th of July that is celebrated?

I don't know..

I do find it funny that the LDS church becomes the target when questions of, 'why are we not celebrating the actual 4th?', raise. Can the spirit of America's Independence Day not be celebrated on another day? After All, the actual day that was supposed to be the day of celebration, the 2nd, got the shaft..

-Jason

It would still sometimes fall on a Sunday.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Many that came to country did so to escape religious persecution. I don’t know why nobody ever mentions that. That could be why our founding fathers wanted separation of church and state, not states that base their laws on religious beliefs.

I'd agree with you, but go back as far as you want, and law is based on religious beliefs. :cody: :D Still, I get your point. I think of this way: I would not move to Vatican City and complain about Catholicism. This is basecamp for the Mormon Church, that's how it goes. *shrug. I'm not LDS, but I try not to get too worked up about the peculiarities of living in UT.

4x4_Welder

I am LDS as well, and can see the point of not celebrating on Sundays for one simple reason: Here, with twice the per capita Mormon population of SLC, try finding a business that's open on Sunday. Sure, the chain stores like Wal-Mart are open, but none of the little shops downtown are, only one or two gas stations are, and I think Papa Murphy's is. None of the Subway shops, corner Sno cone shacks, or any of the other stuff is open on Sunday. Now, if you were to have the events on Sunday, staff would be asked to work extra hours, and attendance would be down simply because there are a lot of people who would go to church instead of to the parades, regardless of religion.
As far as police/fire/rescue on Sundays, I think it has been mentioned a long time ago: Would you not pull your ass from a pit on the Sabbath?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
As far as police/fire/rescue on Sundays, I think it has been mentioned a long time ago: Would you not pull your ass from a pit on the Sabbath?

yup, that is a moot point, this side of the cross. The idea is to maintain a day of rest for worship and reflection, not to slavishly do nothing because you were told somewhere not to. :D

CJ Matt

I'd agree with you, but go back as far as you want, and law is based on religious beliefs. :cody: :D Still, I get your point. I think of this way: I would not move to Vatican City and complain about Catholicism. This is basecamp for the Mormon Church, that's how it goes. *shrug. I'm not LDS, but I try not to get too worked up about the peculiarities of living in UT.

This is the only state I know of were the politicians meet with the church leaders every year before starting things off. I find that appalling. Utah is not the Vatican.

You are right that religion has given guidance on many things but when it goes too far you end up countries like those in the middle east. Luckily we are far from that.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed living in Utah even though there were things that bothered me.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I am not all that pleased with the close interaction between state and church either, but I am also not sure it's really any different anywhere else-- just here, the church is a major employer, business, AND spiritual presence than most churches, businesses, or employers are anywhere else, and that commingling is going to be a lot more obvious.