Will I be to high?

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
So our project build is running full width axles dana 60 front 14 bolt rear. I am doing the XJ rear stretch going for the 6-7 inch mark, F Rear Bumper or a custom one similar. In front I am running the MORE full width kit which is a shackle reversal and also is set up for 1.5" stretch.

My biggest concern is getting to high at this point, but I want to run 38-40 tires at least.

That being said the springs I am selecting for the lift are:

Rear: Old Man EMU 2" medium duty XJ springs

front Rubicon Express 1.5" SOA Wrangler Springs

With the spring over will that be too much considering I am runn gm full width axles and doing about 9" total Stretch?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You'll be taller than my Jeep with those springs. Mine's at 25" at the belly. I'd rather be lower but it'd take a fair amount of work to keep the leaf springs and still be lower than I am. I'm running stock replacement XJ springs front and rear. I like the 9" stretch idea, but I'd stay away from the lift springs.

I wouldn't bother with the shackle reversal but that's a whole other thread :D

IMG_9424%20%28Small%29.JPG

kgb

Yes is the short answer, the long answer is the frame gets I think 22 inches measured at the door. Which would mean your frame, on a true 40 inch tire, would have to be 2 inches higher then the mid line of your axle. I presume you are talking about Utah lift laws

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
Yes is the short answer, the long answer is the frame gets I think 22 inches measured at the door. Which would mean your frame, on a true 40 inch tire, would have to be 2 inches higher then the mid line of your axle. I presume you are talking about Utah lift laws

Sorry not worried about the law, just worried about Center of gravity etc... I am in Colorado and for all intents and purposes will be running this thing all trail, or almost all trail....

I am thinking more about top heavy. So that I am not over top on my side a lot, etc.

thanks a bunch...

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I think Marc's is a skyscraper ;) 21" belly here. I say ditch the lift springs, They say a higher belly is nice for trails like in Montrose and Indy but 23-25 is plenty

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Sorry not worried about the law, just worried about Center of gravity etc... I am in Colorado and for all intents and purposes will be running this thing all trail, or almost all trail....

I am thinking more about top heavy. So that I am not over top on my side a lot, etc.

thanks a bunch...

Your unsprung weight (D60 and 14 bolt) will help keep you stable. I like the predictability of the leaf springs.

I think Marc's is a skyscraper ;) 21" belly here. I say ditch the lift springs, They say I higher belly is nice for trails like in Montrose and Indy but 23-25 is plenty

I'd like to be around 22-23" at the belly. I don't see that being super possible without linking the rig? I might get an inch or so out of frenching and some other leaf tricks, but why do that much work and keep the leaf springs?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!

I completely agree with this. Unless you are only driving on the road, there isn't much need a for a shackle reversal... ;)

Now you guys are making me go home tonight and measure my belly pan height. (Jerks :D)

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
My YJ is stretch a total of 11", 2 forward and 9 in the rear. I am using rubicon express 2" up front and stock cherokees in the rear with a 1.5" add-a-leaf (which rides like a brick.) and with 39.5" rockers aired down to 4-5 psi my belly height is right round 23 1/2 give or take of an quarter inch. also using stock shackles in the front.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I think you will be to high here is a picture of my YJ with stock leaf springs in the front and linked out back sitting on 42s. Since this I have linked the front and went to airshocks and lowered the whole rig about 3 more inches

Resampled_2011-06-03_18-18-59_659.jpg

Last edited:

thenag

You will be lower than me, and I am only on 37's.

leafs are cool for the cheapness and the built in anti-roll, if you go coils in the rear you will need at least anti-rock, or sway loc or similar. (coils put way less stress in the uni-body which can be important for the longevity of an xj)

nathan
99 xj d60, gm 14 bolt and other stuff
build thread here;
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

*edit*

Sorry I missed that this discussion was about a YJ, should have picked up on the "SOA" in the original post...

Last edited:

DevinB

I like traffic lights
You'll be taller than my Jeep with those springs. Mine's at 25" at the belly. I'd rather be lower but it'd take a fair amount of work to keep the leaf springs and still be lower than I am. I'm running stock replacement XJ springs front and rear. I like the 9" stretch idea, but I'd stay away from the lift springs.

IMG_9424%20%28Small%29.JPG

How much lift do stock XJ springs provide over stock YJ springs? I'm on stock YJ springs with 37's and don't want to go any taller if I can avoid it, but I want the stretch that XJ springs provide.

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
My YJ is stretch a total of 11", 2 forward and 9 in the rear. I am using rubicon express 2" up front and stock cherokees in the rear with a 1.5" add-a-leaf (which rides like a brick.) and with 39.5" rockers aired down to 4-5 psi my belly height is right round 23 1/2 give or take of an quarter inch. also using stock shackles in the front.

Can you give me a pick on flat ground? Also any more specs? I am looking at options now and going to be ordering my springs soon. Did you move your spring hangers in the rear? If so how far?

Thanks just want pics. I am thinking 1.5 SOA up front and factory XJ in rear with a waggy spring helper or HD factory height rear.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Can you give me a pick on flat ground? Also any more specs? I am looking at options now and going to be ordering my springs soon. Did you move your spring hangers in the rear? If so how far?

Thanks just want pics. I am thinking 1.5 SOA up front and factory XJ in rear with a waggy spring helper or HD factory height rear.

Yup ill get some tommorow. i didnt cut any of the rear mounts put i do have a modified mountain offroad enterprise shackle reversal kit up front, just widened out for the one tons. but the rear is stretched by the cherokee leafs which is 7" from stock then made longer spring perches and drilled them forward 2" for center pins.

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
Yup ill get some tommorow. i didnt cut any of the rear mounts put i do have a modified mountain offroad enterprise shackle reversal kit up front, just widened out for the one tons. but the rear is stretched by the cherokee leafs which is 7" from stock then made longer spring perches and drilled them forward 2" for center pins.

Coool your set up sounds exactly what I am hoping to do. Can you get pick od shackle hanger set up? I am running a more full width shackle reaversal u
p fron so it will be similar to your and want to run the XJ rears.... Thanks for info and help....

cheepin

Like I was telling you.Skip the XJ springs and run stock YJ's.Heavy duty 6 leave.Or you could use the waggy fronts.Then fab your own hangers and put them where you want them to get the stretch you want.You will need tube fenders or atleast cut the fronts flat to clear 40's.Rear will need chopping also.You should swing by and take a look at my crawler.I am 22" to belly on stock Chevy front leaves(Stiff need changed out) and homebuilt YJ rears.On 39.5 swampers.
Running flat springs will let you run a steep shackle angle giving plenty of drop and helping in keeping it low.Bumpstop it so you have maybe 3-4" of up travel.This will make it stable for side hills.

Last edited: