Willys Crawler 2.0 aka The Bastard

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You ever seen the movie Groundhog Day? 🤪

Most of you will recall my Willys Crawler project that I started a few years ago, then sold. I guess I missed having a project like that, so yesterday I dragged home a body so I can start all over again. :rolleyes: I'm calling this one 'the Bastard', because it's a cut and stretched CJ3B (high hood) tub, with a CJ2A hood and grill. The CJ3B cowl sits 4" taller than a CJ2/3A, which means there is more height and head clearance for a tall guy like me.

The hood on this thing has also been cut and stretched about 3", the door opening has been stretched 8". With all that done, it'll be much easier to fit myself and some suspension seats... and my head won't stick out the top like it does on my stock-ish CJ2A.

The body work is pretty much all done, the previous owner did some great work putting it together. He also added body protection to the rockers and quarters. The rear has been comp cut and while I'm not the biggest fan of the look, it'll work for my needs. It came with the cage that is sufficient, but lacks triangulation. At some point, I'll build a new roll cage that's more appropriate.

Far as the rest of the build, I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do... but plans may change. I need to build a frame for it and go from there. I really want to keep it pretty low, run Dana 60's (rear 14 Bolt, shaved??), etc. I have another GM Vortec 4.3 in the shop, along with a Dana 300 that will get some upgrades. I'd run a 4L60E transmission for it's deep 1st gear and overdrive. I want to run 37" BFG Krawlers and possibly 39's down the road. Shooting for 102"-104" wheelbase.

I have a bunch of parts that I was going to use for another build and I'll probably use many of those pieces. One thing I'm on the fence about is the front suspension. I have a pair of Rubicon Express 1444 1.5" SOA leaf springs and would like to use them since I have them, was thinking about using them SOA with a slider shackle, to keep it as low as possible. I'm not totally sold on the leafs though, a linked front suspension would work so much better and probably be easier to get setup lower. The rear would get 4 linked, running either coil overs or air shocks.

It's still on the trailer, but here are some pics to get this started... that chrome windshield frame has to go!

i-vdCXdMR-X2.jpg

i-WxkmJRg-X2.jpg

i-wLmvLz4-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
Chrome got you home, though! I vote to keep the chrome windshield (I'm not contributing any funds though so my "vote" isn't worth much)

So the windshiled frame, tub and roll cage used to belong to a friend from CO that is pretty well known in the offroad & racing community, he's a member on RME as well.... John Rants. He sold the 3B complete to Robert, who did a lot of work over the last few years. I'm sure John would appreciate the chrome staying, as a throw back to his original high hood.

i-9pcXgSX-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
Everybody's got an opinion about the windshield :D, if you need an opinion about something else I'd say link the front since the back will be a 4-link.

That's a great discussion I'd love to have!

The ONLY reason I'd run the Rubicon Express leafs in the front is because I have them. I'm not sure if that's reasonable logic though, I'd have more tuning options by linking the front, can adjust height easier, not worry about beating up a spring and hanger in the front, etc.

If I do link it, I'd probably run coilovers and air bumps. It would be a lot more fun to bomb around in, compared to leafs in front.

Greg

Admin
I like the coil overs and links idea... kind of a “go fast” but crawly old school unit?

Yeah, that's the hope.

I don't know how 'go-fast' it'll actually be with around 100" WB, 37-39" tires and a V6, but I think with CO's and air bumps, it'll bash around decently well. I'd love to have 4-5" uptravel, with 3" air bumps... the question is if I can keep it low, too.