Jeep Willys ground-up build

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I wish I could see the pics. stupid photo bucket.

Your steering heims should be here today or tomorrow:cool:.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That is a really really cool solution, Carl. I didn't get that you were planning on putting the box on it's side, that's great!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Update WHAAAT?!?

Since the last update, I've finalized most of the steering (back to the steering box, still need a column...), finished up most of the front-end tube work, made coilover mounts up front, started the radiator mounting, sold my 14" coilovers and bought 12" ones instead, re-made the passenger side motor mount (for better upper link clearance), moved the rear cantilever tube 4 or 5 times, made rear shock mounts, and probably a couple other things. All through this time I've taken exactly zero pictures. :p Today I got it far enough that it's sitting on it's own suspension both front and rear for the first time. :tara: I rolled it out of the shop to get some air and sun, and so I could sweep under it.

Sharp eyes will see the rear coilovers behind the tire. Getting those to fit in there, without getting into the tire when it articulates, was the reason for all the repositioning of the cantilevers and shocks. There's less room than you'd think, even with the shock laying horizontal.

Front view:

Rear view: You can see the "top" of the shocks here.

Next up, is probably either tackling building the fuel tank, or maybe working on the steering column and pedals. Or maybe both, bouncing back and forth until my next update, 6 months from now. :greg:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Awwww man an update? I like to forget about how awesome this thing is cause it makes it easier to deal with it not being done. Ryan and I have discussed coming over and berating you until you finish it. The way I see it if I come over and talk about XJ's enough you'll finish it just to get me to leave. Consider this a warning.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Hol-ee crap. I was thinking about this yesterday, wondering if I should call you and remind you that it's still in your shop. Glad to see you found it again! Looking good, as always!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Awwww man an update? I like to forget about how awesome this thing is cause it makes it easier to deal with it not being done. Ryan and I have discussed coming over and berating you until you finish it. The way I see it if I come over and talk about XJ's enough you'll finish it just to get me to leave. Consider this a warning.

I am suitably warned. And frightened--that sounds like a nightmare. :eek:

Wo wo, apparently we are not giving you enough parts to cut, slow down Carl. Looks good

I work on this only when I'm not either being lazy, or getting something productive done. That doesn't leave much time to pick away at it. :)

Hol-ee crap. I was thinking about this yesterday, wondering if I should call you and remind you that it's still in your shop. Glad to see you found it again! Looking good, as always!

Thanks!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I checked it out yesterday. I gave it my seal of approval. Not that that means anything.

We may have to race... see who can finish first. You have a HUGE head start already.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Over the last couple weeks, I got the fuel tank designed, cut, bent, and gave to my friend (Bob B) to weld for me. (because it's aluminum, and I'm TIG-tarded) I'm really excited to see how it turns out, since it's more complex than I originally envisioned. :p You can see the notch on the front/bottom (right side in the pic), which will rest on top of my cantilever pivot tube. The recess in the front is to clear the diff, the bottom rear is cut at a 45 degree angle for better ground clearance, and the rear top has a recess to clear the receiver hitch on my rear bumper. Plus a baffle in the middle. :greg:

Anyway, Bob just sent me this in-progress pic.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank.jpg
    Fuel Tank.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 67