windows 7

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
So, thinking about buying this. I've used the demo beta version and like it, other than the task bar and quick launch. But the demo I'm using is the 64 bit version.

So my question is:
When I look at the stores, I'm not seeing either 32 or 64 versions. Do they both come in the same box and you choose which to install during the installation?

And...

What are the differences between the versions - ie which should I get to run on a business laptop?

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
We put it on our mac.. and it was such a memory hog that we took it back off. Crazy slow the little fruity book ran with Win 7 cramming its 80gig Hard Drive.

All I have to add to this thread.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Works great, I like it a lot more than any other win version out there. I've been using ever since they released it to MSDN (so I guess that's since September? I can't remember...). It's not really a memory hog and plenty of people are successfully running it on netbooks which as you know are not highly spec'd.

No idea how they package the in-store versions but if you can run x64 I'd recommend that as well.

My old ass laptop runs it flawlessly too.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Works great, I like it a lot more than any other win version out there. I've been using ever since they released it to MSDN (so I guess that's since September? I can't remember...). It's not really a memory hog and plenty of people are successfully running it on netbooks which as you know are not highly spec'd.

No idea how they package the in-store versions but if you can run x64 I'd recommend that as well.

My old ass laptop runs it flawlessly too.

I think that's where I got my version, too, but I thought it was earlier - like June'ish?

Anyway, that's my experience with it - works great, fast, etc. I installed the 64 bit version and really like it. However, I don't like the fact some add ons for IE won't work with the 64 bit version :( oh well... Oh, and the weird new taskbar they have implemted...

But yea, I'd really like to purchase it now since the demo has worked otu so well, but I'd hate to buy a non 64 bit version.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I think that's where I got my version, too, but I thought it was earlier - like June'ish?

Anyway, that's my experience with it - works great, fast, etc. I installed the 64 bit version and really like it. However, I don't like the fact some add ons for IE won't work with the 64 bit version :( oh well... Oh, and the weird new taskbar they have implemted...

But yea, I'd really like to purchase it now since the demo has worked otu so well, but I'd hate to buy a non 64 bit version.

You are probably running the public beta from June. IE 64 bit is nice but even the most common plugins like Flash don't come in 64 yet... for web browsing, using a 32bit browser is no big deal IMO.

The final version is even much better than the public beta you are running, which in itself was incredibly stable for a windows beta release. :cool:

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
From what i saw a Costco with the windows 7. it does come with both and you decide what one you want install... at oleast that is what the pkg said.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
You are probably running the public beta from June. IE 64 bit is nice but even the most common plugins like Flash don't come in 64 yet... for web browsing, using a 32bit browser is no big deal IMO.

The final version is even much better than the public beta you are running, which in itself was incredibly stable for a windows beta release. :cool:
yes, it was a beta version. Good until next October or something? But very nice to know that the release is even better :D So... Is the taskbar in the release the same as beta? :D
And I agree, 32 bit is fine for browsing. But I only installed the 64 bit version, so I was dissapointed when I had to downgrade.
From what i saw a Costco with the windows 7. it does come with both and you decide what one you want install... at oleast that is what the pkg said.

Good to know! :cool: It makes sense, because even on the MS website they don't really say any are 32 or 64 bit, just that 7 works on both kind of thing....

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I just picked up a laptop last night that has Windows 7. I like the new task bar. It's clear what programs are running, and the little preview when you hover over the icon is nifty.

Best windows yet, from what I can tell so far.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm running it in Parallels and really like it. Not as good as XP, but a huge step over Vista. I'm quite impressed with it. Still no OS X, but good.
I believe that they both come in the same package. But whose paid for Windows since, well, ever? Would anyone like to see my 5.25" disks of 3.1? :D

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have an old ibm t42 laptop 1.5mhz processor with 1 gb of ram and 320 gig hard drive and when a friend of mine said he had windows7 ultimate I could have I jumped on it...

Been running it for about 2 months now and I do like it.... I just hate when I go to use the windows explorer and it doesn't show me what I really want... I am sure I could change a few settings and get it the way I want it just haven't played around with it...

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
I work at a computer service center and I have yet to hear a complaint! DO go with 64 if your system is capible of more than 4gig ram.... I have had ultimate version for about 6 months and its pretty good... And YES some netbooks strugle with life regardless of OS.. Dont be Too Cheap on choosing one.

Caleb

I've been running it since the MSDN was released (August). This is actually the first version of windows that doesn't drive me nuts. IMO, it's more efficient with memory then XP was and there's no comparison between it and Vista. My work laptop was starting to struggle a bit with XP (it's a Dell, what can you expect :p) but I loaded Windows 7 on and now it's running like it's a new machine. I actually liked it enough that I BOUGHT a copy of it (granted it was purchased with a student discount so it was only $40 :D). I'm running my copy on my Mac via Parallels without any problems, I've also ran it under Fusion with out any issues too. I'd definitely get it, especially if you're running Vista.

As far as 64 vs. 32 bit. I don't know what comes in the package, I got the 64 bit version when I purchased it (it's specifically 64 bit) and the MSDN allows me to download whatever version I want. (Two separate downloads).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I work at a computer service center and I have yet to hear a complaint! DO go with 64 if your system is capible of more than 4gig ram.... I have had ultimate version for about 6 months and its pretty good... And YES some netbooks strugle with life regardless of OS.. Dont be Too Cheap on choosing one.

But when you buy the version and go to install, does it give you the choice between 32 and 64 bit? or do you have to specifically buy a 64 bit version? Because if it's the later, I haven't seen one at Costco or even online at MS. But like I said before, I'd hate to assume it's both and then be stuck with a 32 bit version or something.

This is going on my Dell D820, which is Vista compatable, but I've always ran XP on it becuase Vista sucks.

I've been running it since the MSDN was released (August). This is actually the first version of windows that doesn't drive me nuts. IMO, it's more efficient with memory then XP was and there's no comparison between it and Vista. My work laptop was starting to struggle a bit with XP (it's a Dell, what can you expect :p) but I loaded Windows 7 on and now it's running like it's a new machine. I actually liked it enough that I BOUGHT a copy of it (granted it was purchased with a student discount so it was only $40 :D). I'm running my copy on my Mac via Parallels without any problems, I've also ran it under Fusion with out any issues too. I'd definitely get it, especially if you're running Vista.

As far as 64 vs. 32 bit. I don't know what comes in the package, I got the 64 bit version when I purchased it (it's specifically 64 bit) and the MSDN allows me to download whatever version I want. (Two separate downloads).

I feel the same way! My only issue is one program I use has issues on Vista, so I'm sure it would on 7 as well - HPTuners. I've been tuning a lot of PCM's for guys lately and don't want to loose this... I haven't tried it on my beta version yet, but I assume I can force it to use XP mode?

Caleb

I feel the same way! My only issue is one program I use has issues on Vista, so I'm sure it would on 7 as well - HPTuners. I've been tuning a lot of PCM's for guys lately and don't want to loose this... I haven't tried it on my beta version yet, but I assume I can force it to use XP mode?
Yes, you can force the program to run in Compatibility mode.

I've yet to find a program that won't work with it...and I have to run some OLD crappy programs for work.

Also, my crappy work computer is a Dell D820 :p

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 12

Caleb

Holy crap! We got Caleb on board! :D
:rofl: I'm on-board as much as I'll ever be :p I use it for work (I leave my laptop at work) and I use it at home so I can test across multiple platforms (I test against Windows, OS X, and Linux all from my Mac). As long as Windows exists, it's going to be a factor in my life as an Admin :D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

OldGeezer

It lists 32 and 64 bit versions - argh! Why is this so difficult?!

Those are meant for System Builders.
"Disclaimer: Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows"
The retail version has both so why not get it?