Windpocalypse

airmanwilliams

what I hated about going home lastnight after school is I drove from 2600 south in bountiful all the way to centerville and no stores were open but walmart and then the only gas stations were the chevron and sinclair on I think 500 north. when pulling in the gas station I was so hoping they didnt raise prices due to being the only ones open and was so glad they didnt.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I drove to north ogden yesterday. On my way up I saw 12 over turned semis. I-15 was closed at bountiful 5th s with an overturned semi. Lowes in Btown had 2 or 3 semi trailers on their sides in the back lot. Lagoons fences are trashed. Street signs down. Every semi from bountiful to riverdale was sidelined.I saw an overturned snowmobile enclosed trailer on its side, holding a 1ton diesel side ways on two wheels!
I also saw Devil in his truck at some point. My customer office had their 60ft pine go down. The old kmart on 12th st lost their huge sign. Most of my calls had closed their offices because they had no power. Power was out from 12th st north and from Quincy to wall. Part of the east side still had power south of 36th. One house in layton had one whole side missing all of their vinyl siding.

Drove home on 89. No power at the lights and saw at least a mile of downed power lines in front a fruit orchard. And 3 more overturned semis on 89 alone.

I counted 21 over turned semis and many sideways smaller trailers. And at least 200 sidelined semis.

IMG_20111201_102746.jpg

IMG_20111201_102904.jpg

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Actually, most piney type trees don't grow deep roots. They grow shallow and wide, and are meant to intertwine with other piney-type trees... every storm, we'd be out chopping up uprooted pines and split cottonwoods.

Stupid mother nature not designing trees to withstand wind and messing stuff up for us and junk.

neagtea

Supporting Member
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Now that there is funny.
I am in the 70 degree San Diego area, The wife tells me we have major carnage at home in farmington. I am directly lined up with the farmington canyon wind tunnel.
All that work re-doing the fences this fall for not, posts snapped right off. siding and soffet hashed. couple windows scratched from shingles truck fender damage from someones fence. I guess our neighborhood doesn't have too many fences left standing. I hear two neighbors lost chimney's.
Last time major wind hit the neighbors shingles turned into projectiles and took out windows and siding on east side.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

sorry to hear about everyone's loss. We usually get crazy winds at my place. Hoping for a speedy recovery to those who were affected.

rdneckride

Was on my way home from Wendover from 2am-6am. We saw sage brush bushes the size of VW's rolling across the road. Had a number of them stick to the front end and just had to slow down to 50 for them to blow off. the drive took an extra long time due to driving only 60MPH and stopping twice for 20 minute power naps. I hoped that I had no damage to my newly laid roof at home (was just finished Tuesday). Upon arriving at home in Spanish Fork everything was as I left it. Sorry to hear about the damage up north.

Chevycrew

Freeway storage lost most of the roofs off of the old units, bunch of it was piled up around my truck and trailer in outdoor storage. Luckily I didn't even notice and new scratches.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Got a call from a disaster relief team I'm on, they are putting together a team for this weekend to help chainsaw all these trees out of people's yards. Sadly, I can't go due to my shoulder surgery. But they're getting out there. :D

spencevans

Overlander
from my travels today Farmington seems like it was hit the worst. Destruction everywhere. I bet more than half the trees at Oakridge country club are down, apartment complex getting framed collapsed, semis on their sides. Looks like everything in the path of Farmington canyon might as well got hit by a tornado.

I hope everyone is ok.

I saw DEVIL with his big rig tow truck trying to upright a semi.

I got to the house I am working on and the power was out so I came home.

I drove up and down the wasatch front yesterday and today and the worst of it was definitely in the Centerville and Farmington. I know the NWS says winds were stronger in Centerville but the eye test says Farmington got the worst of it. In Centerville the freeway signs seemed to be in good condition but at Farmington they were all destroyed. Other things I noticed were all the stop signs and street signs that were down in Farmington. I did not see thiss in other areas. While alot of areas sustained a lot of damage to vinyl fences, in Farmington I notice not even the chain link fences were impervious, shich was shocking to me.

airmanwilliams

any of you in the bountiful woods cross area need help clearing stuff tomorrow morning? I have to go to work at willey honda at 12 but anytime before im free.

pELYgroso

'Merica
If anybody needs roofing help, let me know! I've been up in Davis County all day every day since the storm dealing with claims and repairs! We'll probably be working up there for the next 2 or 3 weeks doing re-roofs and repairs. If you need a bid or whatever, let me know and I'll take care of you! (licensed and insured, of course)

give me a call! RME roofing discount! Bundle it with parts from Alljeep for further discounts! haha

Tyler
801-921-9849

DAA

I think all my shingles survived, but I lost some facia that needs to be replaced. If you do that, then heck yeah, I need an estimate (for insurance) and then the work done once insurance signs off.

- DAA

DAA

I guess while I'm thinking about it, and RME'rs that do vinyl fence and/or siding? Happy to give you RME preference points on doing the work if you want to come out and give me an estimate for insurance. I have an approx. 14.5' gate that needs replaced, including both corner posts (set in concrete - will need cut etc.) and some siding that needs to be replaced.

And as long as I'm on the subject, my truck is going to need some body and paint from shingles hitting it. Looks to me like the hood needs painted, one small dent in the rear fender pulled and probably most of one side painted. Unless maybe those scratches will "buff out" better than it's looking like to me. Anyone on here that wants to give me an insurance estimate on that I'd be happy to give you first crack.

- DAA

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
A little late but.....

My oldest daughter's school was shut down shortly after class began Thursday morning. She carpools with 3 other kids from the neighborhood. She calls me and ask if I can come get them, and another neighbor girl that needed a ride home. I was in my Honda and didn't have enough room for 5 girls. One of the other girls mom calls me and asked if I knew what was going on and I explained to her I was trying to get my wife's Pathfinder so I could get all the girls home. She tells me not to worry, that she would go get them in her minivan. Cool!!!

Well here's the results of the wind storm on her minivan with 5 little girls and a 2 year old boy inside said van sitting on Harrison at 12th st. in Ogden heading North.
IMG_20111201_101147.jpg

IMG_20111201_101207.jpg

IMG_20111201_101133.jpg

IMG_20111201_101139.jpg

She's not sure what happened. Pressure? Debris? Everybody inside was covered in small shards of glass and needed to be cleaned off when they got home. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

A side note; I had to print pictures so the kids could take them to school the next day for proof of their totally cool story they had to tell. :D