Windshield inspection???

bretto

Willytime
What are the specs that an inspector will pass in reguards to crack in your windshield? Or should I say what won't they pass? Also has anyone ever replaced their own glass at home. I'm not afraid to try but if it is horrible, I'll pass. I can get glass at cost that's why I ask.Brett

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I belive it's no cracks over 24 inches and they cant be in the drivers view/side

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Nope,

No cracks in the "acute area" larger than the size of a quarter. You can have as much cracking/shattering as you want outside of the "Accute area" You find it by measuring 6" from the edge of the windshield, anything 6" or less away from the edge is ok, anything above that has to be smaller than a quarter...

bretto

Willytime
Klif01 said:
Nope,

No cracks in the "acute area" larger than the size of a quarter. You can have as much cracking/shattering as you want outside of the "Accute area" You find it by measuring 6" from the edge of the windshield, anything 6" or less away from the edge is ok, anything above that has to be smaller than a quarter...
So that 6" margin is around the whole windshield? A square donut of sorts. Do you work at an inspection station?

Caleb

Klif01 said:
Nope,

maybe on the driver side of the glass, I know my passenger side has a huge crack that runs from middle of my windshield all the way to the passenger edge and it passed just fine, in fact they didn't even make mention of it (and this was at a Jiffy Lube that also has a glass repair person there).

Houndoc

It used to be that you could have no damage what so ever (even a repaired rock chip) in an area directly in front of the driver, roughly the size of a diner plate. On the rest of the windshield there was a limit, perhaps the 24" mentioned?, on total other cracks.

I have not worked in a shop for many moons, so don't know if that still holds true or not.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
bretto said:
So that 6" margin is around the whole windshield? A square donut of sorts. Do you work at an inspection station?

Ya.....I work at one....thats just referencing what it says in my safety inspection book....and the course I just had to take!

lilsamiman

Stupid TV, be more funny!
sometimes I think that is comes down to the inspector too. A few years ago I helped with saftey and emissions tests. And last I heard was in the drivers side no more than 6 inch long cracks and 24 in the pass side.

Or hell pass em a 20 or something??? and give em a wink

Klif01

Do I bother you?
lilsamiman said:
sometimes I think that is comes down to the inspector too. A few years ago I helped with saftey and emissions tests. And last I heard was in the drivers side no more than 6 inch long cracks and 24 in the pass side.

Or hell pass em a 20 or something??? and give em a wink

In past years, the laws were a little vague, it has recently been updated...

wr250

insert lame comment
UHP safety inpsection manual:

PLT Safety Inspection Manual Revised January 1, 2006 63 VEHICLE WINDOWS - Continued Windshields are designed to support the roof of a vehicle and keep the driver and occupants protected in the event of a crash. Cracks in the windshield may cause a visibility problem. Cracks may be repaired in the acute area when the damage is one inch (1 ) or less in diameter, a size equal to a quarter coin. *NOTE: Architectural glass and Plexiglas is prohibited.
A. WINDSHIELD 1. Check windshield for appropriate AS number. a. REJECT when:
1) Windshield does not have AS1, AS10, or AS14 marking.
2. Visually inspect windshield for scratches, etching, or other marks. REJECT when:
1) Windshield glass is scratched, discolored, clouded or marked to the point vision is obstructed.
2) Windshield has decorative etching that is not OEM. 3. Check windshield for breakage.
a. REJECT when:
1) Windshield has outright breakage; glass shattered either on the inside or outside surface and/or broken glass leaving sharp or jagged edges.
2) Windshield cloudiness is more than 1 inch in from each side edge, more than 4 inches down from the top edge, or more than 3 inches up from the bottom edge.
3) Damage or repairs in the acute area that is more than 1 inch or larger than the size of a quarter coin.
PLT Safety Inspection Manual Revised January 1, 2006 64 VEHICLE

WINDOWS - Continued
4. Crack(s) from the 6 border area that extends into the acute area more than 1 inch. *NOTE: With the new rule regarding the acute area, multiple single cracks may be in the 6 border surrounding the acute area.
5. Check for unauthorized tinting, signs, posters or other non-transparent materials.
REJECT when:
1) Windshield allows less than 70% light transmittance and signs, posters, or any other non-transparent materials are MORE THAN 4 inches down from the top edge of the molding on the windshield or below the AS 1 line, whichever is Lower. *NOTE: All measurements are taken on the outside of glass from the edge where the glass and the molding meet.
The acute area (measured on the outside) of the windshield is defined vertically by measuring six inches (6 ) down from the top edge of glass where it meets the molding, six inches (6 ) up from the bottom edge of glass where it meets the molding. Horizontally, by measuring six inches (6 ) in from the left side edge of glass where it meets the molding and six inches (6 ) in from the right side edge of glass where it meets the molding. WHEN THERE IS ANY DAMAGE WITHIN THE ACUTE AREA, LARGER THAN ONE INCH (1 ) THE WINDSHIELD WILL BE REJECTED AND REPLACED.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I had a crack that went across the bottom of my windshield - even lower than the wiper blades. Last year it passed without question, this time they rejected it, citing a new law that passed in July? if I remember right. So I went down to my local glass guy and asked, and said it failed but it passed last year. He then cited the same law, without any cue from me. He put in a new piece of glass for $150 out the door and I went and had it reinspected.

This was the same inspection station I used last year, and the same guys were working...

FWIW the glass guy is here in PG on State St, next to Artic Circle. Nice guy...Clean shop, good work, and fast. He changed mine out while I had lunch at AC, it was already outside when I finished eating. :cool: