won't idle?

jedi

aboogadaboogadaboogada
I have a 97 zj with the 5.2, I recently cleaned the k&n air filter and changed the fan belt. Now the thing won't idle. probably just coincidence. It will start, and if you stay on the throttle it runs, but you let off and it dies instantly. any suggestions?

jedi

aboogadaboogadaboogada
I did remove the air filter, didn't make a difference. I will look closer tomorrow for any broken lines.

How am I supposed to generate 1.21 jiggawatts?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
how will this effect the idle?? the hose runs from the valve cover to the air box

I was referring to hoses in general, but I know that I get a rough idle on the Jeep and my other cars if the PCV hose is cracked or disconnected. And he was messing with the air tube which is connected to the PCV line, so the hose or the PCV itself is worth checking.

R

rockdog

This is a mass air motor, no? I know of cases where oil from the k+n has ruined the mass air sensor. How close is it to the filter? My guess is this is whats causing you grief if it idled well with no problems before you did the things you have mentioned.
Check it out. Might be your culprit.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
This is a mass air motor, no? I know of cases where oil from the k+n has ruined the mass air sensor. How close is it to the filter? My guess is this is whats causing you grief if it idled well with no problems before you did the things you have mentioned.
Check it out. Might be your culprit.
if you over oiled the K&N filter it is all to easy for the extra oil to dirty the MASS sensor, and sad to say most the time u have to replace it

dirtydog

I have a 97 zj with the 5.2, I recently cleaned the k&n air filter and changed the fan belt. Now the thing won't idle. probably just coincidence. It will start, and if you stay on the throttle it runs, but you let off and it dies instantly. any suggestions?

Check the idle air control (IAC). Not real common for them to just fail, but it does happen. Usually they get gunked up and sluggish and cause an uneven idle.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
did you disconnect the battery when you were doing the work? there is a short computer relearn after the jeep is restarted. holding the throttle party open to keep it running for a couple of minutes should do the trick. if that doesn't work i'd try cleaning the throttle body then move to the idle air control valve

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Check the idle air control (IAC). Not real common for them to just fail, but it does happen. Usually they get gunked up and sluggish and cause an uneven idle.

I have noticed that the some of the K&N setups allow alot of dirt to get by them and I have seen the IAC get gummed up. If the IAC is not working properly it will do exactly what you describe.

jedi

aboogadaboogadaboogada
I haven't had time to mess with it much. After I cleaned the filter I drove it for two days before oiling it. The second day it started idling rough and dying. Then I oiled it. About two days after that it started again. Now it won't idle at all. I'm going to look at all closer Saturday.

YOUKNOW

Would this be true on an 04 TJ? I went through a mud puddle yesterday with my son egging me on. Now I have a rough idle. I have no idea what it is. This afternoon it just died on me in a parking lot. Any ideas?

jedi

aboogadaboogadaboogada
well I tinkered around with things, disconected the map and the other plug on the throttle body. took the k&n tubing off( i took off before and put some spacers on upside down, probably part of the problem, fixed that) disconnected the battery for a couple days. It fires up and seems to run great, haven't ran it for very long though. Now the BIG problem is it wont turn off. I can turn it off and take the key out and it still runs? What do I do with it? I pulled the starter relay and pulled the negative battery terminal to kill it. Something is pulling strong on the battery. It sparks when I go to reconnect it, not bad but it happens.