wrangler Build

mikeh

im building a wrangler for a buddy and he wants the tires to be 1 or 2" in front and back of bumpers. that puts the wheel base around 114" should i just make the links longer. ALL HELP ON THIS ONE WOULD BE GREAT: Thanks mike

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
full hydro steering will help on the front end, just moving the axle forward will screw up steering angles on the stock steering.

mikeh

got a full hydro steer ordered up yesterday.he just brought me some 2.25" DOM for the links pretty gnarly stuff.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
your gonna need to relocate the gas tank or get a fuek cell for the links and axle to clear the rear, not to mention what kind of suspension are you going to use. Might have to deal with axle width and placement.

mikeh

I all ready got a fuel cell put in. Putting full width 14 bolt & dana 60 hp. suspension will be 16" fox air shocks. can i leave the brackets in place and just make the link longer.Havent gave much thought to the shock hoops yet.

mikeh

thats kinda what i that about the clearance on it to but just dont quite know how far to go.Going to tear in to it big time tomorrow.hope it goes good.

mikeh

Finally got to it today. got front cleaned up and old brackets cut off. just wondering what would be the best place to put the the tabs on the axle. I was thinking about center or alittle to the bottom.but dont know for sure. kinda like the squirrel build front.Iwill try and get some pic. OPPS!! camera fell off bench i think its broken .wife dont know yet!!!opps

mikeh

Here are some pictures of the front end and links.

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

mikeh

ya had some laying around so i put them in for tempary tell i get the ones the owner orderd should of bin here a weak a go. I thought some one would get a good laugh out of the tractor links but i dont think your going to brake one .just wondering if the angles look ok. maybe should re name it redneck build??

Last edited:

mikeh

it is 1/4" but it will be faced in with 3/8" plate and a couple braces in the back. do you think that will be ok. or better off to cut it off and go 1/2" I work at a steel mill. so what ever steel i need dont cost much.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
it is 1/4" but it will be faced in with 3/8" plate and a couple braces in the back. do you think that will be ok. or better off to cut it off and go 1/2" I work at a steel mill. so what ever steel i need dont cost much.

I'm sure it will look better with reinforcement, but as-is, it looks weak IMO. There seems to be a good deal of flat surface, which should be reinforced. Personally I'd use 3/8" for the bridge, but I've been known to over-build. ;)

mikeh

When I started the bridge i wanted to go 1/2" but the owner said 1/4 would be fine im like you I like to over build stuff.I will talk him in to 3/8 or 1/2. I would fill better about that .