XJ lift question

SubLime Time

A Study in Black & Green
So we put an 8"-ish lift on my husbands '00 XJ last weekend. Now, the point where the drag link meets the tie rod is hitting the bottom of the sway bar.

Does anyone know if a High Steer will help this?
Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

M

muddyjeep

Sounds like you need a different steering setup...
Here is what Im running on mine with 8".
It works great, but it does need a longer draglink.
Ram Mount. 002 (Medium).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
So we put an 8"-ish lift on my husbands '00 XJ last weekend. Now, the point where the drag link meets the tie rod is hitting the bottom of the sway bar.

Does anyone know if a High Steer will help this?
Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Post a picture of your steering from the front with the wheels on and on the ground. Also post a pic of the front of your rig, again with the wheels on and on the ground, from the side. Axle location after your lift might be the problem. :confused:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
On the XJs that we have lifted the rub point is usually between the tie rod connection point and the track bar not the sway bar. Did you install an adjustable track bar ? If not the axle is most likely not centered correctly. Lifts of that height will also require a drop pitman arm. You can use a stock ZJ pitman on the XJ which will drop the pitman down. If you were to do high steer you would need to change the track bar mount location or you will get bump steer. High steer also usually requires a change of sway bar mounting points.

XJEEPER

Here's how I did my XJ hi-steer, with 6" of lift. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&highlight=XJ+Buildup&page=9
JKS trackbar relocation axle bracket and relocated swaybar endlinks (Currie Antirock) WJ knuckles and brakes.

8" of lift is a lot for an XJ and way outsite the operating range of stock steering angles and components.
Drop pitman arms just overload the steering box, IMO.

The right way to correct the lifted XJ steering is with the WJ (Grand Cherokee) setup, which also gets you bigger brakes that will stop 33-35's. I've run other modified steering setups on XJ's, they were all compromises. The WJ steering/brake setup rocks.

Last edited: