YJ cages

amp713

Get technical with me and talk YJ Cages... I don't want to be spending some crazy amount but was looking towards the BTF, KOZ or the poison Spyder sets. Would love to have front and rear built up for EJS this year. Who's running what? Anyone on here building cages on the side? For those of you that have them did you tie in through the tub to the frame? I've heard that's a bit overkill sometimes. I'm no rock bouncer, Id rather crawl something and use a little bump if I need too....

Jeromy

I'm getting ready to do one in my yj hopefully by the safari too. Probably going to go with something pretty similar to the koz. Although the poison spyder A-piller kit looks interesting as well. The ebrake might need some modification to function with a tube right in-front of it. I will probably tie it to the frame. Also probably tie the seats and some 5 point harness into the cage as well.

We could probably work something out if you wanted to do them together.

1993yj

I used the poison spyder add in kit years ago. Haven't truly test it out, but it seems stout. I have added some additional bars myself though (door bars, rear spreaders, etc.). It is always wise to tie it to the frame, but that doesn't mean you have to drill a big hole in your floor and run tube through there. I sandwiched my floor by bolting a plate to the bottom side of the floor where the cage mounts in the cab and then running tube from there to the frame. Pretty popular method. You can google jeep roll cage frame tie in and see lots of examples.

For my ebrake I just had to turn the handle 90 for it to go around the cage tube.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've always thought that a daily driven jeep (I'm assuming yours is) should have a cage built to withstand a multiple rollover on the highway at speed. That's the most dangerous place your jeep will be. So if you think the most you will encounter is a lite flop on a trail, you may want to reconsider. Every jeep should have a stout windshield bar/A-pillar assembly to keep the windshield out of your lap. The stock set up will not keep that from happening. Anything with a removable top should be tied to the frame, one way or another. It's pretty easy to do on a YJ.
I've only dealt with a Poison Spyder cage one time. I was surprised at how low it was. I like cages to be right at the top of the windshield. This was 3-4 inches under that. I'm not familiar with the others.

amp713

Jeromy Id be interested if I was closer but I'm a ways off!

93yj that's how I wanted to set mine up but wasn't sure if it was worth the time or not...

unstuck I plan to have it built to handle a lot of damage without ever putting it to the test. That's interesting about the PS cage though. Was that causing low clearance at the seats at all??

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It got heavily modified and used on a cj8. I can't remember if we added height to it. I'm sure we did. It was stupid. Not only that but they used .125 wall tube. Try sleeving that with the .120 we get around here. Not fun.

larrybenny

larrybenny
I installed the Poisen Spyder pillar type in my 88 YJ. Never rolled it to see how it held up. I did not tie it into the frame as Poisen Spyder told me NOT to (I called them and talked to a rep.) I suspect that the reason is if the tub gets torn loose, the cage could crush you. But I always wondered if that was sound advise.

Jeromy

Jeromy Id be interested if I was closer but I'm a ways off!

93yj that's how I wanted to set mine up but wasn't sure if it was worth the time or not...

unstuck I plan to have it built to handle a lot of damage without ever putting it to the test. That's interesting about the PS cage though. Was that causing low clearance at the seats at all??

Probably several weeks away from starting. Got a few other big projects to knock out first.

amp713

I shot PS a message on pirate cuz they had the full cages on sell but he said the add ins arent discounted at all right now....

amp713

Thinking I will get the trail gear front half and look into a rear half... Hoping to order first part of next week.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Ryan (skippy) and Chance (Chocflip201) also build awesome cages but they are both super busy. I've never been impressed with the add-on cages and I also think built-in seat mounts and frame tie-ins are a must. My dos pesos

amp713

YA and that's one issue Im having. Everyone is way busy. I really wanted to get the cage done before EJS. I also went and looked at the synergy cage and think theirs is my favorite add in.... But it says discontinued, Im going to call and ask if they still have some for sale or if they have washed their hands of it already.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I would love to see a pic if you don't mind posting. i should be due for a front cage shortly.

I just remembered I have a few pics of it in my mesh top thread over in the General forum. Just bumped it so it should be close to the top.