Yota Mutt Build

dzeyer

K, first off, I've always just done my own thing and never really done a "build thread," but I'm pretty excited about this one. I started with an 83 short bed single cab truck that just ran... that was about it. I decide to do a cheap 1-ton build and wheel it. I've never done any "real" fab work before, I just knew how to weld from growing up on a farm. so here's the truck when I got it:
P8270057.jpg

Then Turned it into this:
IMG_0656.jpg

Now, it wheeled great! I was surprised that it actually worked... since I've never done a build before. But I wanted to be able to take more people wheeling... since it's awesome. So... bring on the 4 door cab and a vortec to move it along.

So that's what this build will be..
my 83 toyota (1-ton axles, 42" pittbulls)
2003 tacoma 4-door cab
early 90s 4.3 vortec on p-pane
a th350 auto
and yota t-cases

I already apologize if I do something on this build that you would have done differently... cause actually, it's my build so that's why I did it that way.

Now, on to the pics...

First was the tear down...
IMG_0028.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/dzeyer/the MUTT/IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0030.jpg

Now mocking up the engine,trans,tranny...
IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Weld up all the brace plates and mounts and extend the frame... (bout 18")
IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Clearance the tranny tunnel for the flat belly...
IMG_0054.jpg

Then fit it and build body mounts...
IMG_0056.jpg

Here's how it sits now...
IMG_0060.jpg

The cab will sit bout 2" higher than this pic (still need to add rubber bushings), but you get the idea.

So now I'm all caught up and will start from here. Thanks for checking it out and I'll try and keep it updated as much as possible.

dzeyer

Nope no blood, it's just writing from the wrecking yard. It will be about 128"... a little long, but it'll be worth it.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Awesome!

Will you be retaining the mini-truck bed with the newer DC Taco cab? Please say yes... :)

dzeyer

You bet! I'm gonna carry on the mutt theme and retro fit the front fenders/grill and bed sides from my 83. I'm hoping the end result will look like a 4-door first gen... more unique than just a regular 4-door taco.

dzeyer

Thanks a ton guys!
Yeah, the first version turned out great... and wheeled great too. But more people = more fun, in my book anyways, so... 4-door.

Here's the start of the tranny tunnel. It's an afterwork project, so during the weekdays, my progress is pretty small compared to the weekends.
IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

dzeyer

I guess it's good that I started a thread... it puts some pressure on me to get something done so I can post some progress (little as it may be).

Skinning the tranny tunnel: It's not pretty, but it'll do.
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg