Your Pic of The Day

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Not today, Thursday and again Saturday, my new friend dropped his skid steer off the side of his driveway. Thursday I responded with the Utah Off-road Recovery Team. When he got stuck again Friday he reached out to me directly because his house is right by my family property and knew I was heading back up per our conversation Thursday when we pulled him out.

Thursday we used a Spanish Burton to initially pull him about 4 feet, then repositioned and used 2 winches setup with 2:1 pulls. That freed him easily. It took longer to position the vehicles on the slick hill than to pull him out.
IMG_7255.jpeg

Spanish Burton setup.
IMG_7197.jpeg

Double line pull by 2 winches with the trucks positioned higher up the hill.
IMG_7200.jpeg

And he's free! He was low on hydraulic fluid so once free he refilled it and once again had full power from the machine.
IMG_7201.jpeg

Friday he was blowing snow and couldn't see where the edge of the road was so he drove off the side of a culvert.

My buddy Joel ran up with me and helped Saturday morning. We tried to do a pendulum manuver and pull him forward. This didn't really work as desired so we repositioned behind the skid steer and pulled him out backwards. This went as smooth as butter and he was once again free.

The failed pendulum setup.
IMG_7221.jpeg
IMG_7223.jpeg

The hole under the track.
IMG_7238.jpeg

Repositioned behind and setup with 3:1 pulls by each winch with the Ram anchoring the Jeep again.
IMG_7246.jpeg
IMG_7251.jpeg
IMG_7250.jpeg
Fun times!

And yes @DAA , we used traction boards each time to position the trucks and prevent some sliding...

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
This Kia Sorento found its way onto my trailer and into my driveway.

View attachment 168881View attachment 168883

It actually runs just fine. But I can only drive one car at a time, and my wife was unavailable to go get it.

Needs a few things, and a really good cleaning. But I think it will be a fine car.

However.. I’m an idiot. I thought they were all 4 wheel drive. Nope. This one is rear wheel only. 🤦🏼‍♂️
At least it's got a solid rear axle! I knew you wouldn't make that mistake again. ;)

Just think - the next vehicle you buy might have a solid rear axle AND be 4 wheel drive! :rofl:

Seriously though, a Sorento is on my list of cool and under-appreciated vehicles. At least the first gen body-on-frame ones (with transfer cases...)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
But you beat Logan in UMORA, so does that mean you are faster than the guy who won USRA?
I beat him in NHHA too so maybe 🤔
The UMORA races were definitely harder than USRA last year.

UMORA, USRA, NHHA
Curtis went 1-1-6+?
Logan 3-1-3
Me 2-2-2

I definitely had more consistent finishes and safer racing (Kerry said, "you can't win on the ground").
Maybe that counts as something? 😂

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I beat him in NHHA too so maybe 🤔
The UMORA races were definitely harder than USRA last year.

UMORA, USRA, NHHA
Curtis went 1-1-6+?
Logan 3-1-3
Me 2-2-2

Definitely more consistent finishes and safer racing (Kerry said, "you can't win on the ground").

8207fad6-ee09-41bd-aa1a-262f2a4b8449_text.gif

Thursty

IMG_2852.jpeg
A Bald Eagle took up residence for a moment across the river from the museum this morning. Not the best picture by any stretch, but it reminded me of the time I was patrolling the La Sal Loop Road near the Pinhook “Battlefield” on a stormy January day a few years ago. On that day I caught sight of a Golden Eagle perched in a tree. With the only sound being that falling snow I enjoyed the view for a few moments when a coyote crept near the base of the same tree hoping for some scraps from the Eagle’s meal.
IMG_2176.jpeg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Definitely more consistent finishes and safer racing (Kerry said, "you can't win on the ground").
Consistency is king. In 13 (4th overall), 14 (6th overall) I did it with consistent top 12 overall finishes. Usually between 8-10, but the younger faster kids were often times behind me or DNF from crashes or bike failures.