Yukon XL vs Suburban tow ratings

Houndoc

I noticed in my shopping that the tow ratings for a Chevy Suburban is 400 pounds higher than a GMC Yukon XL. Holds true over most engines and both 1500 and 2500 models.

I assume it must be due to a softer suspension on the GMC. True? If so, I can still go with which ever I find the best deal on and replace rear shocks +/- springs.

Any thoughts on the two?

Cory

Houndoc said:
... the tow ratings for a Chevy Suburban is 400 pounds higher than a GMC Yukon XL.

Are you going to be towing something so big that 400# is going to make a difference? If you are that close to maxing out the tow capacity then maybe you need something with a higher tow rating.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Houndoc said:
I noticed in my shopping that the tow ratings for a Chevy Suburban is 400 pounds higher than a GMC Yukon XL. Holds true over most engines and both 1500 and 2500 models.

I assume it must be due to a softer suspension on the GMC. True? If so, I can still go with which ever I find the best deal on and replace rear shocks +/- springs.

Any thoughts on the two?

Something about the Yukon weighs 400 pounds more.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I think either one would do the same job, but longer is always better for towing.

I wouldn't settle for a 1500 in either model. Stay with the 2500 for the stronger axle, and slightly better braking.

Both would need some work on the spring end to tow properly. Air bags are your best choice. Wont effect the ride when not towing, but pump em up and tow a house if you like.

Houndoc

I don't think my towing is such that 400# is that critical (will be towing a 2-3 horse trailer, plus horse of course. Estimate 6k), but since the vehicle is generally the same, (body, frame, engine, tranny, axle etc) the diffrence is odd.

I suspect the suspension (when I have a minute will look up total weight) since the Chevy versions test better off-road due to suspension. But that is not the primary concern in this case (either is more capable than the mini van it will replace.)