yz250 tuning

74highboy

i bought a yz250 a couple weeks ago for something to play with when i got it the top end was in a box i now have it all back together but need some help tuning it is their anyone that can give a hand with this

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I pride myself in tuning 2T carbs and I'd be happy to help, but there's a bit of a drive between us :-\ What year is your YZ out of curiosity?

i bought a yz250 a couple weeks ago for something to play with when i got it the top end was in a box i now have it all back together but need some help tuning it is their anyone that can give a hand with this

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
94 should be a runner. That was a good year for YZ's in the day :cool:

I like to keep the mix between 32:1 and 40:1 depending on what oil. I run Klotz super-techniplate but any good/high quality oil should be ran with modern power valves.

Standard jetting should be:
Pilot: 40-45
Main: 350
Needles are usually in the third clip (from the top) and fuel screw should be between 1 and 2.5 turns out meaning less or more is out of its operating range.

Does it smoke a lot on top or bottom? How are cold starts? This is a great way to make sure you have the pilot circuit nailed: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/823120-selecting-the-correct-pilot-jet-and-setting-the-fuel-screw/

Remember a bad crank seal on the wet side can cause the motor to run very rich along with a weird idle. Hope this helps,

Andrew

Last edited:

74highboy

it starts pretty easy it smokes alot at pretty much every rpm

i dont have alot of time to mess with it so it may take me some time to get to it

thanks for all the great info

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
32:1 seems really rich to me. I run 40:1, but only because I don't trust the 50:1 or even 100:1 that synthetics claim can be done. I run a 2000 yz250. My buddy rides an 05 yz250, and ran 32:1, he smokes a lot, and was constantly fouling plugs. I have not fouled a plug in 5+ years.

74highboy

this is my second yz250 first one was a very well built 2002 yamaha recommends 32:1 thats what i ran in the 02 after having a buddy tune it never fouled a plug again sad to say i sold that bike to get my now ex wife a car

74highboy

i had some free time today pulled the carb out and found the needle clip was all the way at the top put it on 3 ran a little better and was able to ride it still has a lack of power but it didnt want to just stall