ZJ/JK Rubicon 44 build.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Parking brake cables are connected (it's weird how cool it felt to set the park brake... like a milestone or something). They were a snug fit between the brake cable hanger and the LCA tabs, but they went in, and operate smoothly, engaging well, and disengaging completely. I also got the rear brake lines routed on the axle, and got a little bit lucky.
I had to weld on two little pieces of plate with nuts welded to the back to provide a place for the brake lines to bolt on near the wheel. I left two notches in the top of each of my LCA brackets, hoping that they might work to retain the brake lines, and the will. With a couple of bends taken out of the hard lines, they meet the extra width of the JK axle, and still put the bends in the right place to go up and over the D44 pumpkin from the AL D 44 that the lines came from.
I had to trim 1.4” off the placement fins from the new calipers, but the banjo bolts are the correct size. I trimmed the calipers using a manual hacksaw and a file (no power tools on calipers for a street driven vehicle for me… I’d rather spend a little extra sweat and time than make an expensive mistake…) I welded a nut to the axle tube to mount the hard line distribution block and soft line to the chassis. The hole in the OEM axle was at the 12:00 position. I could have done this, and had the lines rout around the Clayton’s truss, but I opted to put it further toward the front of the jeep (if viewed from the driver side tire, it would be about the 10:00 position on the axle tube). This will allow better clearance with nothing touching or rubbing against the Clayton’s truss, combined with a little straightening on the chassis side hard line, and re mounting the hanger on the chassis side, this will give me more than enough line travel for suspension movement without needing an extended rear line.
I also got my rear shock brackets partially made from some 2x6 rectangle tube. I used the same templates that I used for my LCA brackets, just positioned a little differently as to no interfere with the LCA bolt hole, and provide room for shocks behind the axle rather than room for the LCA busing in front and below. Like the LCAs, the shocks will mount a little higher than they did initially, which will translate to a little better clearance under the axle. The shock brackets will weld to the axle tubes, and to the LCA brackets. Then I plan to add a piece of plate on each side to box the rear portion of the LCA bracket, and tie it into the shock brackets for a little more load distribution (not that the LCAs need it with the overkill brackets they are in…

Anyway, this is where the jeep will sit for almost the next month, un touched. I’ve got a mini family vacation this weekend, and I leave on a 2.5 week business trip on the 13th. I’ll be spending time with my kids prior to leaving (despite what my wife might think at times, I do love my kids more than my jeep… most of the time). I’m really down to the nitty gritty stuff. The two unknowns I have left at this point are the exhaust and the front sway bar. I have the Kolak 3” cat and back system. I’d like to keep running it, but I know I’ll need to make some mods. I’m planning to move the cat and muffler as far forward as I can… I think I can get the cat in front of the cross member, weld the hanger back on to the system between the cat and the muffler, and have the flow master sitting about where the cat used to sit. My concern is behind that. With only 4.5” springs and heavier than stock bumpers, I don’t have much room between the upper control arms and body, and even less between the UCAs and the heat shield material on the passenger side. I won’t be needing bump stops any time soon, and I’m betting the UCAs do a little body work for me… I’d like to run the exhaust all the way out to the tail, for both legal and safety reasons. My two boys ride with me quite often, and I don’t’ like the idea of the exhaust dumping under the jeep where it can float up through the windows etc… I’m just not sure it’ll fit. I’ll cross that bridge when I get home from my trip. Right now I’m just happy to see the jeep sitting on all four matching tires, with the suspension completely finished, and knowing that I only have a huge laundry list of little boring things left to do.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
jeepwash2.JPG

Thats washing the two inches of dust off it...

Almost done, but driving.
I haven't put the front shaft in yet, and I still need to wire the lockers, but she is running driving and doing well.
I have a slight vibration on acceleration that I can dial out with pinion angle, and I want a quieter muffler. Hopefully a smaller muffler.
I had to run a turndown off the Flowmaster, and it is a little louder than I'd like. I'm hoping to get a smaller muffler when I replace it. The clearances between the driveline and rear CA bracket are rediculously tight. Under certain throttle conditions it hits, and is REALLY FAWKING LOUD!. I have confirmed thats what the sound is...
Driving is great. I do need to add material to the steering stops. the tires hit the CAs prior to lock, and the Mickey MTZ sidewall lugs grab. I'll put it up in the air and figure out where I need it to stop. THis should also improve the life of the joints... and turning is tighter than it was even without going to rub land. I won't lose any functionality over the previous axle even limiting the steering throw.
It feels controlled... the rear end feels a little... different. Not loose or rolly, but a little off what I remember it being. I do not plan to add the rear sway bar. I do want to swap the springs side to side... it sits low on the driver side, I think I swapped the springs side to side when I reinstalled. The drivers side has the spare and my fat ass in it, so I want the taller springs on that side. I may just add some spring isolaters to the driver side to level it out. Not sure yet.

I have some additional pics, but they aren't uploaded yet. More to come.

Oh yeah.. I'll start another dedicated thread on it, but my muffler is an FM 50, 3" in and out, offset outlet. The case measures 4" X 9.75" X 17".

I's like smaller and quieter, but hopefully not loose much power. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I need to say a big thanks to Wayne at AllJeep.com, Mike at Summit Machine, CarlPlus at Tera, and a super huge thanks to Josh at Miller Jeep. I'm really happy with the results overall, and I can't wati to finish finshing it, and get out and wheel.

Last edited:

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Will do Joe... do you guys have any solutions for the locker wiring yet? I'm tempted to solder some wires to the leads on the axle harness, apply some silicone and make my own. $80 for two plugs and a foot of wire seems a little supid to me.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Will do Joe... do you guys have any solutions for the locker wiring yet? I'm tempted to solder some wires to the leads on the axle harness, apply some silicone and make my own. $80 for two plugs and a foot of wire seems a little supid to me.

Do it. We usually buy the factory plug then wire from there, but if you aren't scared I'm willing to risk it. :)

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Update:
Magnaflow GOOD.

I was able to get the full exhaust back in using the magnaflow muffler. I ran it all the way back, and capped it with my OEM 5.9 limited tip. On startup I was kind of frustrated... it was really loud. it was running at high idle from being off all day and cold, but it was louder than it had been with the flowmaster. I took it for a spin, and was happy that my rattles were gone, and as I drove it it go a little quieter. I also noticed that it was MUCH quieter in the cab than the flowmaster had been, and there was NO resonance. I got it up on the freeway, and it wasn't bad... it also seemed to get quieter as I went. I loaded up the kids, and started it up, and it wasn't bad. I thought I had just gotten used to it, but it did get quieter... I've since read that that is pretty common with magnaflow mufflers. Driving home from my dad's place, it was nice. It has a good rumble to it when accelerating, and a full on ROAR at WOT, but it's really subdued at cruise and idle. Plus having it all the way to the bumper helped a TON, and no worries about fumes with the kids riding.

Not a bad weekend for me.

mjac22

jeepwash2.JPG

Thats washing the two inches of dust off it...

Almost done, but driving.
I haven't put the front shaft in yet, and I still need to wire the lockers, but she is running driving and doing well.
I have a slight vibration on acceleration that I can dial out with pinion angle, and I want a quieter muffler. Hopefully a smaller muffler.
I had to run a turndown off the Flowmaster, and it is a little louder than I'd like. I'm hoping to get a smaller muffler when I replace it. The clearances between the driveline and rear CA bracket are rediculously tight. Under certain throttle conditions it hits, and is REALLY FAWKING LOUD!. I have confirmed thats what the sound is...
Driving is great. I do need to add material to the steering stops. the tires hit the CAs prior to lock, and the Mickey MTZ sidewall lugs grab. I'll put it up in the air and figure out where I need it to stop. THis should also improve the life of the joints... and turning is tighter than it was even without going to rub land. I won't lose any functionality over the previous axle even limiting the steering throw.
It feels controlled... the rear end feels a little... different. Not loose or rolly, but a little off what I remember it being. I do not plan to add the rear sway bar. I do want to swap the springs side to side... it sits low on the driver side, I think I swapped the springs side to side when I reinstalled. The drivers side has the spare and my fat ass in it, so I want the taller springs on that side. I may just add some spring isolaters to the driver side to level it out. Not sure yet.

I have some additional pics, but they aren't uploaded yet. More to come.

Oh yeah.. I'll start another dedicated thread on it, but my muffler is an FM 50, 3" in and out, offset outlet. The case measures 4" X 9.75" X 17".

I's like smaller and quieter, but hopefully not loose much power. Any ideas?

Zombie, what pitman arm set up did you go with? I’m about to pull the trigger and do this swap on my ZJ.