ZJ opinions

travK5

I want to know everyones opinions on the grands. ZJ's to be more specific.
what not to get, and why. Help me disect the grand cherokees, I want to know (preferably from those with first hand accounts) what re-acurring problems they have, and how hard are they to fix. What are the best motors, transfercases etc. What would be your first modifications after purchasing a stock ZJ and why. I want to hear it all good and bad. NOT JUST THE BAD. I want a good all around vehicle. One that looks real good. Not to tall, but tall enough to wheel without seriously damaging the rockers every trip up rattlesnake. A vehicle that I can casually wheel, while one that my wife could safely drive now and again. My wife doesn't really like driving the tj all that much. For one thing she is only 5'1", and can't see over the dash, so a power seat is sort of a must. Thanks.

MuddinXJ

Soon to be on 38.5" tires
get the one w/ the 5.8 in it(i think 95). Run Claytons full suspension package(f/r long arm w/ coils. i think its like 7" lift). '79 F-250 Axles(d44,D60). Discs f/r. 37"-39.5" tires of your choice. bumpers of your choice. the rest is up to you. that should give you a good basis though. i would run a D300 in the ZJ

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't even know where to start so we'll just start at the beginning.

THe first year of the ZJ is 93. They offered 4.0 and 5.2 engines in both laredo and limited (and a very stripped down model in 93 only). All were disk up front, drums in the back. You could also come across an occasoinal 5 speed ZJ in 93. They offered the 231, 242 t-cases in the 4.0's and the 231, or 249 t-cases in the v8's.

In 94 the limited got disks on all 4 corners and the v8's could no longer be found with a 231 although some 242's are around. Most had the AWD 249.

In 95 all ZJ's have disk brakes all the way around. The v8 ZJ's with the 249 (all wheel drive) t-case that were made up until the 95 model year did not have a locking center differential. This sucks. Stay away from that if you plan on doing any moderate to heavy wheelin.

In 96 the ZJ's got their DC 3 year refresh so there are some new interior stuff and, most importantly, the 249 AWD t-case that comes in the v8 changes and gets a locking center diff. It also has a 5/95 f/r torque split and can be run w/o a front driveline unlike the pre-95's that would burn up the VC (viscous coupler) without a front driveline. In 96 DC also switched from the 46 RH tranny to the 46 RE tranny (at least I'm pretty sure it was in 96). The older RH tranny has a tendancy to slip between 2nd and 3rd gear once you get some milage on it.

In 98, they offered a 5.9 ZJ which is bitchin and in 99 came the WJ.

So if I was looking for a ZJ, I would get a v8 that is a 96 or newer. the 242 t-case is rare but preferable as it allows more selectability, but the 249 that comes in the 96+ models isn't that bad. I would also get a model with Up country and a tow package. Up country has a factory 1" lift, tow hooks, and all the skid plates. The tow package has, obviously, a receiver hitch but more importantly it also has a tranny cooler which I think is nice.

Suspension:
The front of the ZJ is basically identical to the XJ and almots identical to the TJ. The rear is almost the same as the TJ with the exception of the coil buckets. The RE 4.5" kit is the nicest (nicest in terms of offroad ability) short arm kit and you can fit 32's pretty easily and 33's with some minor trimming of the bumpers. If you go higher than 4.5" you start to open a can of worms. If that is your intention then I'll explain that, but it doesn't sound like you want to go too big.

Thats all I have the patience for right now, but if you have any specific questions or whatever let me know. There are a couple of good resources for ZJ tech in the interweb. www.jeepsunlimited has a great database of threads, but most of the people over there now a days are dopes. www.nagca.com is a great inermediate site with some helpful folks.

hth

Cody

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Cody's discourse pretty much covers it all. Known problems include the VC in the 249 failing, you can expect it to start acting up anywhere after 60000 miles or so. The aluminum Dana 44 in the rear of V8 models is a poor axle once it starts to fail, and has little or no aftermarket support other than a limited selection of gears. CV-joints are a necessary weakness if you wish to have good road manners with the fulltime 4WD, otherwise I'd ditch for the 297x-jointed shafts from an XJ. Some vehicles do not experience these problems, my TC and rear axle both failed at 70000 miles, whereas Telford's ZJ is at 153000 with the original 249 and 44.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
MuddinXJ said:
get the one w/ the 5.8 in it(i think 95). Run Claytons full suspension package(f/r long arm w/ coils. i think its like 7" lift). '79 F-250 Axles(d44,D60). Discs f/r. 37"-39.5" tires of your choice. bumpers of your choice. the rest is up to you. that should give you a good basis though. i would run a D300 in the ZJ
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: -_- -_- :eek: :eek: WTF???....I agree with the Clayton lift, but everything else ???

...........anyway, I'm thinking you'd do a little better with an XJ (I've had an XJ and still have a ZJ). Anyway my take on the ZJ is it's a decent rig and kind of fun. A little big, with more overhang than I'd like, but still pretty capable. We've got 108K on ours and I'm pretty satisfied (I still need a few years out of it, though). Pretty low on the maintenance, we've had nothing serious go wrong with ours (D35 pinion seals--pretty regularly, a bad tranny cooler line, A/C recharge, brakes, shocks, tires, etc.).

We have a '96 4.0L, 242, D35, Laredo with custom bodywork (my wife), 3" lift, 31" tires. I'd take it on most any 3.5 rated trail but 4 rated trails I'd stay away from if you care about cosmetics (and D35 axleshafts)

travK5

[ thanks cody.
I am looking at a 96, limited with the v8, d44 rear, leather and tow package.

keep it coming!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
travK5 said:
[ thanks cody.
I am looking at a 96, limited with the v8, d44 rear, leather and tow package.

keep it coming!

Oh, on the '96, The rear door panel inserts kind of 'peel' away from the rest. Take a look at that. Parts are/were available at Jeep for semi-reasonable cost. Extremely annoying on a $25K vehicle.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I have a 98 5.9L Zj and my mom has a 96 limited ZJ.

Both have been very good other than a few glitches

My mom's had a problem with the 2 way momory seats and now the head gasket plus valve covers are leaking a bit.

Mine had the fuel pump go out and the driver's power lock crap out.

Overall great vehicles, thirsty on gas, decent quality but not up to japanese standards.

Oh yea, with som mods, the 5.9L accelerates like a raped ape!

Ford Prefect

Also good to know is that the 97+ v8 ZJ's have an aluminium rear end, thus you can not put a locker in them unless you pop out the axle and put in a new one. So if you have one of those be sure it has the track lock in the rear, or you will be hating life... I mean, hey, it goes just great with a front ARB and a rear TL but it sure would be nice to have a real arb back there.

Cheers

TELFORD

its a work in progress
I have really liked my zj, I have done a few minor "upgrades" to it. As far as a vehicle it seems that most have the same problems as everyone else, oil leaks, door panels peeling away, a trans that has a tendencey to slip, and a little tipy at times on a trail now that its lifted. I have really enjoyed it, a great family wheeler. I am not a JP fan but the issue on stand's now has a little article on some hp upgrades. CODY pretty well sumed it up, great sorce for info and what works. my .02

MuddinXJ said:
get the one w/ the 5.8 in it(i think 95). Run Claytons full suspension package(f/r long arm w/ coils. i think its like 7" lift
The Clayton Kit from CLAYTON OFF-ROAD could come with whatever springs you want on your rig. 4" or 7" with Rockcrawler being the favorite. Check out their website linked above, click on the photo section and check out some ZJ's in there as well as some vids. I've been real busy this season taking pics and vids of our wheelin' adventures :D If you need more pics of his lifts than what you see on the site, let me know and I'll dig up more.

Last edited:

tuck

spud crawler
I have a 93 limitied 4.0 with 233k miles, had transmission issues while it was under warranty, and virtually no problems since. It's my DD, and I have a different rig for wheelin.

My dad had a '98 5.9L... it was a lot of fun. Now he has a WJ Overland, it's not as cool as the 5.9 in my opinion.

I have driven the 4.0, 5.2, 5.9, and 4.7. If you like to pass people going fast, get a v8. If you want an engine that will go lots of miles get the 4.0.

BTW if you want a V8, I have a buddy who is selling a '97 limitied (silver) it is stock, but has goodyear MTRs from a Rubicon. It's in Boise.