zukijames' 86 sami

i guess i will put my rig on here (im pretty bored)

about 3 years ago i headed up to heber city with josh(toyotarockhead) and picked up a little zuk buggy

it had gears , lockers, yj spring swap, awesome 84 inch wheel base

I thought it was as built as i would ever need, i borrowed the money from my parents and remember telling them it was already built and i wouldnt have to spend any money on upgrade parts... hahaha

it was off road only and took some work to get it back on the road. i made some rear fenders installed tail/brake lights

0420091524a.jpg

0420091526.jpg

i wanted more flex and josh had some toyota rear springs so i threw them up front

went to snakes to test them out
5.jpg

this pic was right after my first flop! dang waynes world. tried once more in the rain and didnt make it. finally i made got to try again this summer and made it !
4-1.jpg

Then i went to moab with josh and goose
randompics663.jpg

randompics652.jpg

decided i needed more wheelbase before i went down there so i got some more yota rears and put them on all corners and swapped to yota axles

27.jpg

i loved the new stance but still wasn't long enough to keep up with goose and josh

second flop at the snakes! i had no hydro assist so to be able to turn i had my arb turned off.. started tipping tried to throttle out and the tire in the air spun(bad driving im just making excuses)

tricky recovery just me and my gf on the trail and my 2000lb rear suspension winch mounted up in the frame rails
james052.jpg

its never been a good camping rig

cantgetin.jpg

so i traded the yj swap for some old coil overs and radius arms and linked the front, the coils were so still that id did worse after linking it!

18-2.jpg

1-1.jpg

Last edited:

zukijames

this this is going to be sick! Love that axle.

Hey thanks! When I get it done you'll have to show me around sand hallow the two climbs before the impossible kicked my butt I got to the one and my carb flooded and that was that lol
But the impossible ? I think that what it's called I really liked that climb

Steve There 80 series balls with rear 80 series 9.5 3rd

But I love how technical the trails are down there!

toyota rockhead

Finally!!!! That thing is bad ass! with the 80s birfs in there it will be stronger than my 60! :) I love those ruff stuff housings they are sick! Plus once you get those HellFire knuckles that thing will be sexy! What are you going to be wms to wms?

zukijames

Thanks Josh and goose wms to wms is 63.5 I think .. Wb is 114 frame us 21.5

Dual triangulated 4 links front and rear .

The front just won't have as much triangulation

I changed my truss a little bit tonight
And got my upper frame links put where I need them
kinda crappy pics

bb186174.jpg

0ae9443d.jpg

I screwed up .. I had the links perfectly level sitting on my 37s. That measure 34.5!!

I want same frame height with my 40 inch good years.
And had already burned in one of the upper frame mounts

So I now have a little less separation at axle.. I have 8.5,9.5, or 10.5

The tower is alot lower now then it was and has some adjustiblity

Now if I would just stop being lazy and make my lower links have some adjustibility I'd be set

zukijames

Ah I don't won't surgery I figured I have a few
Pre surgery hours tomorrow to work on the land rover. Surgery Tuesday then if I can get a ride to ogden I can get in a few solid days on the zuk ..

Jeep safari here I come

zukijames

Shiz my boy parts are in alot more pain then I thought they would be .. Not thinking I will get much work done :( stupid kidney stones and painful removal surgeries

zukijames

Still in alot of pain!

Realize I have alot less room with the new axle and v8 then I did with the 22r and Dana 44

68c43342.jpg

Best 4 link I can fit

5075aa14.jpg

The flange on the pinion is really close to the oil pan..

I could run long radius arms and get a high flat panhard ..

Or a 4 link but links would only be 3 feet long..not much separation ,
Not much triangulation,

I think with radius and panhard I could get a better roll center.

If worse comes to worse. I ditch the dual cases.. And
Move both axles forward and start over basically.

zukijames

yeah i think i can get a little more on the lowers.. except my drive line will need to be right on the inside of the frame.. i might french my link mount into the bottom of the frame instead having it on the outside..

thanks for looking at my post! how come your not at koh?

zukijames

thanks yota!

my wheel base is already 114.. if i move both axle forward then the rear drive line gets even shorter.. and the rear axle is offset with a centered t case so i cant let it get anyshorter.

i might go for a 116 wheelbase. i know thats long but the ultra 4 rigs seem to be getting longer and longer

Yota

I can't tell but does the rear diff have an e locker?
I'd consider just moving the front forward if you're going to run 40's but that's just me.
At least you're taking your time to mock stuff up and do it right.

zukijames

No e locker I'd run one in the front and plan to someday but they have problems with the rear shafts..

I'm going to move the axle forward and belly up 116 wheel base and 24? Frame height .. Should have just got an 85 sr5 exta cab ..

But yeah I wanta get this set up how I want it. So I can just wheel the piss out of it. It's killing me not wheeling.

I went from bfe like once a week to not wheeling since September

toyota rockhead

116 will be sick we will have to same wb and close to the same belly :) all the ultra 4 rigs are getting longer and longer!
Now brian will have the shortest wb for once!
You think 116 will be too long?

zukijames

i honestly dont think 116 will be too long . and i made the some post about the ultra 4 cars getting longer about the same time you made this one..

i forgot what company but one of them has a build right now that is going to be 116 or 117

and then justin hall (hes are age josh! and has done well in we rock) is building one at 117

this years ultra 4 schedule has more short track and fast stuff and less rocks then years in the past and i'm afraid thats where its heading!

116 for the tight stuff in st george might be a little long but at the same time it should be really stable. i could just move my motor up. but idk

i think 116 with alot of up travel should work well!

yours will probably ride nicer ..when we get these stupid things done lets go out west and see how they handle at speed :)

toyota rockhead

Alright lets go im down!!! the land use buggy is 118! i think at 116 you will be perfect you will be 116 and a little bit narrower than me and bryan so that will help a little too in tight spots! i dont know about mine riding nicer buy i hope it rides decent i want to drive it and find out!