'01 crew 7.3L longbed---New mbryson project....(like I needed another?)

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Nice pick Marc. I know you were on the V10 bandwagon for a while. I hope this 7.3 treats you well.

Have you smogged it yet? I'm curious what the opacity #'s look like on a higher mileage, stock PS.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I did smog it in Salt lake county. Just took all that to the DMV in SL county and have plates. I'll continue that process until I'm told not to. If I start getting shit, my company will have to move its headquarters to somewhere I don't have to deal with the regulations.

Grabbing a burger in Tremonton.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    671.5 KB · Views: 46

mbryson

Supporting Member
Just the passenger front door and the bedside. Pass rear door escaped significant damage. It's got a decent scratch but I'll just touch it up when I do the bed and front door black. Body is about a 7 of ten with these fixes. I'm totally fine with that fir the use this truck will see.

Just need to to scrounge up some good Lariat seats and I'm beyond thrilled as long as it holds together ;)

mbryson

Supporting Member
I got seven out of eight bolts out of the damages bed tonight. (Broke two T50 sockets on #8 so I'll just grind it off). I've not done a bed swap in 20 years. I assume there's just electrical and fuel filler connections to go to complete the swap?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I got seven out of eight bolts out of the damages bed tonight. (Broke two T50 sockets on #8 so I'll just grind it off). I've not done a bed swap in 20 years. I assume there's just electrical and fuel filler connections to go to complete the swap?

I always end up grinding almost all of them out. There will be filler tube (hose clamps) and a plug in the back for the lights. I use and engine lift and straps to pick it off.

Toad

Headed to Tremonton today. Looks like I have a good bed now? Anyone interested in a "slightly" damaged Super Duty longbed? Moonlight Diesel also has a correct color passenger door I need to figure out a way to pick up. I'm headed to Logan next Sat and could pick up then. Both the bed and the door will just need the black painted to match the rest of the truck. That's something I'll do

If you need some help getting that door picked up let me know. I drive past Moonlight everyday. I work in your hometown. I know Mitch pretty well also. Might give me a bit of a break.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I have nothing going on next week and could go to logan for you... gives me a reason to put more money into the redneck retirement fund...

I'll probably have my father-in-law run down the street and pick it up for me. Then I have to talk the wife into driving to redneck land in a truly redneck pickup so I can bring the door home. (A couple weeks in a Lexus..... Ford Lariats are junk now ;) )

The door or bed is in Logan? Pull the bed and then put the bed on it to drive home. 8 bolts

Door is in Logan. Bed is at my house already

mbryson

Supporting Member
If you need some help getting that door picked up let me know. I drive past Moonlight everyday. I work in your hometown. I know Mitch pretty well also. Might give me a bit of a break.

Thanks for for the offer. Mitch has been very fair working with me and scrounging some stuff. I went to high school with Terri. He's a good dude but I haven't chatted with him in 25 years I'm sure. I'm not surprised he's got a solid business and a good name

Coco

I loved my old 7.3L, just got done truck shopping myself... Man, that was stressful trying to find a bank that would approve on a loan, but also trying to get something with lower miles, and somewhat newer. I wanted to try to get a 7.3L, or give a cummins a try. After searching for a while, I found a pretty clean 01 cummins. I guess we will see how it does! Liking it so far though!

I will be following this build though :D 7.3L is still one of my favorite diesel motors.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Bed is on. Not the greatest photo but it's 10 pm. Easy swap. Had to butcher a taillight pigtail from the old bed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    817.6 KB · Views: 72

mbryson

Supporting Member
Mucho better.

I'm with you. :D I'd rather have the truck match the bed than the bed match the truck looking at the picture. I'll make the bed match the truck as that's much cheaper (kind of the point of this truck) but if I had my rathers, I'd just paint the whole thing :D

Who knows anything about clocksprings? I have an airbag light and the cruise doesn't work. I'm assuming those could both be related? The airbag gives a "32" code when I start the truck. Are they a pain to change or expensive or ????

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f27/how-replace-clock-spring-166202/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmantraveler View Post
OK start out by pulling both Negative battery cables... on the back side of the wheel you will find two hole plugs that cover the bolts that hold the airbag in. remove those and pull the airbag out and squeeze the plug for the air bag to remove the plug from the airbag. unplug the harness that goes into the clock spring from the horn and cruise. Pull the center bolt that holds the wheel onto the shaft. get a Pulley puller and hook the jaws in the 12 and 6 o'clock area and pull the wheel off the shaft. remove the lower cover by pulling the three philips bit screws and remove the tilt lever. put the key in the lock and turn it to the run position. about 2 inches from the key you will see a little silver ball in a hole just below the lock tumbler push it in with a tiny screw driver or a pick. remove the lock by giving it a slight wiggle as you pull on the key. Put the tilt lever back on and tilt the whole unit as far down as you can get it to remove the upper cover. now you can get to the wire harness that goes into the clock spring from under the dash. Reinstall the key lock to keep the steering shaft from turning and you can now remove the clock spring.... I don't remember if there is a screw or something holding it in but you have the idea there are two plastic clips top and bottom holding the old clock spring on. After carefully trying to remove the spring I realized I could just yank it and break the old ones...much easier!... reverse the hole thing and you are done... don't forget to thread lock the bolt that holds the wheel on so it does not come off in your hands doing 80 down the freeway. Do not twist or turn the new clock spring more then you have to and don't remove the clock spring band that holds the thing from turning until you are just about to put it in.I pulled it after the wheel nut was tightened. You should have it done Quick if you have all the tools at hand. The last wheel I pulled was two days ago on a 2006 E250 and the bolts for the air bag was 8MM and the bolt for the wheel was a T-50 or a T-55 T-45 but not sure what one that was. the rest was a walk in the park. Just did not remove the clock spring on that one so I don't remember the clock spring from two years ago... sorry

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
the clock spring is a very easy swap. You can handle it I have done them on tons of vehicles and havent ran into a difficult one yet

rholbrook

I say you paint the the black on the cab to match the bed. I like the torredor red, I have never been much of a two tone guy. Thats an easier paint job, mask at the molding

mbryson

Supporting Member
I say you paint the the black on the cab to match the bed. I like the torredor red, I have never been much of a two tone guy. Thats an easier paint job, mask at the molding

I'd have to throw down for some mouldings.....(and that's a lot of blends...I'm WAY out of practice for something like that) The black will be quick and make it look uniform. That'll be good enough to evaluate if I want to invest heavily in this truck or move on to the next thing. It's pretty dang close to my ideal truck. Just has an automatic and the "shift on the fly" 4x4 that I'd change (and color).