'01 crew 7.3L longbed---New mbryson project....(like I needed another?)

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Just a thought. My 2006 seemed like it was having a horrible miss. I thought I had a short in my harness. Then I decided to check the transmission fluid. It was 2 quarts low. I filled it up and it's driving fine now.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just a thought. My 2006 seemed like it was having a horrible miss. I thought I had a short in my harness. Then I decided to check the transmission fluid. It was 2 quarts low. I filled it up and it's driving fine now.

Once mine starts, it runs quite well. I'm REALLY hoping for weak glow plugs as I'd assume an injector (or two or three) would be noticeable after it's lit off and running. Engine has no funky white smoke, no serious blowby (it's a 7.3L so it does have a little but not bad at all) and only black smoke when you mash the throttle. I "think" this truck won't see a LOT of miles but I do want it reliable as any other 7.3L can be. I have a fresh trans and honestly haven't checked fluid level since I got it (I've put 400 miles on it so far) but it would be wise to check/smell the fluid at this point.

mbryson

Supporting Member
......I've got a bunch of van seat belts. Not sure if they're the same as what you're looking for, but you're welcome to them if you want them.

Steve, I'd be interested in two of the seat belt buckles if you are just going to toss them. I think they'll work but it depends on which yard you talk to if they are an "interchange" or not. Ford had a recall on this exact issue but my truck is not part of it. Annoying as I have the exact problem from the recall but it's not covered (it's an old truck.....I didn't have high expectations but wanted to see if they'd give me a break on pricing for the buckles?)

mbryson

Supporting Member
.....and I had a bit of time today (due to sick daughter that needed to stay home from family party) to check out the glow plugs. Using an ohmeter setting on my multi-meter, I had 1 of 4 glow plugs on the drivers side in spec. I think I should buy some glow plugs and see how my starting goes.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Good point. I'll have to break out the ohm-meter and check that relay out.

I'll have to head down there. Drove the truck in to work today. Good to know RME has a solid upholstery contact :D

second vote for Mont. I have known him a long time always happy with his work.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
on my old superduty the injector harness that goes through the valve cover had a miss and bad injector code. The retaining climps get brittle under the valvecover and with hot oil they break and make the harness back off. They sell new retaining clips you can get

mbryson

Supporting Member
on my old superduty the injector harness that goes through the valve cover had a miss and bad injector code. The retaining climps get brittle under the valvecover and with hot oil they break and make the harness back off. They sell new retaining clips you can get

Those appear to be good but I haven't pulled the covers off yet. Definitely a possibility with my findings so far

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Had some time yesterday and replaced the clock spring with a Dorman unit. I have airbag functionality but didn't get expected cruise control back. I'll check some fuses and such for that.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Haven't updated this thread for a while. Clock spring is still working for airbag but I still don't have cruise. After swapping doors, I've had the interior light and "door ajar" display in the dash on. I've swapped sensors, latches etc into the 'new' passenger door and am fairly sure that's not the culprit. I sprayed ALL four door latches with some solvent and got it to go off one time but need to do that again and isolate it to which door. Not sure what to do about the cruise.

I had the glow plugs and harnesses replaced a few weeks ago. I should be ok with this truck. It starts better and quicker. I finally changed the oil in it last night and that made a huge difference in how it started also. The injectors fire based on oil pressure so some clean oil can help. I remember why I started going to LHM dealerships for oil changes now. I was $66 with the cheapest oil I could find at OReilly. I'm going to change the oil every 1000 miles for a few cycles and get this dog as cleaned up as I can. I'll go back to the dealership for oil changes. I think they are $150 per three changes for a diesel.

Aside from some seriously worn interior issues and overall neglect, the truck seems fairly sound. It's kind of a beater and I need to remember that as I go about refurbishing. The leather bugs me a lot. I've had three quotes to redo the leather and they are all about $1300-1500 and a day to get done. I'll probably do that at some point in time but not immediately.

I have the the stripes and some black paint for the rockers. I'll get that done sometime as well. I thought about changing colors and such but I'm putting lipstick on a pig here. I'll just roll with how it left the factory for now.

Bart

Glad to hear its getting better for you. It looks like a decent ride. I know its a long ways away, but I'd give Penny's Seat Covers in Orem a call on your leather. Hands down the cheapest option I've found and it looks factory.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Looks like it's coming along.

LHM is a good deal on oil changes...fwiw, the Centerville walmart has Delo 15-40 on sale for $11.28 a gallon and the Motorcraft 1995 filter for $9.99.

Where would you take it to have the paint worked over? I have a few areas on my OBS I'd like to address.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I buy Delo 15w40 at costco. 3 gallons for $30. I've been using it for a while. but it makes starting in the winter harder compared to the 5w40 rotella t6 I was using. I do about 7500 miles between oil changes. I change my filter at about 3500 miles into the oil usage. not sure if it saves me a lot of money, but I hate changing the oil on this thing. 3 gallons sucks to try and dump back into used oil bottles for recycling.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I buy Delo 15w40 at costco. 3 gallons for $30. I've been using it for a while. but it makes starting in the winter harder compared to the 5w40 rotella t6 I was using. I do about 7500 miles between oil changes. I change my filter at about 3500 miles into the oil usage. not sure if it saves me a lot of money, but I hate changing the oil on this thing. 3 gallons sucks to try and dump back into used oil bottles for recycling.

Is the 6.0L just 3 gallons? Mine took 16 quarts including the filter.... I won't be changing oil in it again :D (even after two showers, I can still faintly smell diesel oil on my hands....). Between the recycling/disposal, acquiring oil and filter etc, I find my time better served by surfing RME in the dealership for 45 minutes and saving/spending about $5-10 extra. The LHM deal is NICE. I sit and sometimes get to have a salesman try to talk me into a new $60k truck.... If they'll take my trade at $30k, I'm in

....Where would you take it to have the paint worked over? I have a few areas on my OBS I'd like to address.

With the theme of lipstick on a pig, I was just going to use some old acrylic enamel I have from when I was going to paint my Jeep black (I think I even still have some silver left.... hrrrmmm). I don't have a place to take it but was just going to do it in the backyard so I don't overspray my neighbors boat. I'd rather use a booth if you want to split something like that?

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I had cruise control issues with my truck, that ended up being fixed with a new clutch position switch. I actually have two of them now...one the cruise works, but sometimes it won't start if the clutch is pushed ALL the way to the floor. Pick the pedal up just a tiny bit, and it will start. The other switch does not have that issue, but the cruise control doesn't work with that one.

mbryson

Supporting Member
anyone ever successfully troubleshot the stupid "door ajar" sensors on one of these? I'm hoping I can narrow the sensor down to one door rather than replace all four.

Last edited:

SPECIAL ED

Yellow Helmet boy
I had this problem with with my doors. I had friend tell me that the latches get gummed up with dirt, the sensor is in the latches. He had me spray them out with WD40 and that resolved my problem. I did this with all my doors.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I had this problem with with my doors. I had friend tell me that the latches get gummed up with dirt, the sensor is in the latches. He had me spray them out with WD40 and that resolved my problem. I did this with all my doors.

I tried WD40 and have tried brake clean after that :D (used a whole can of brake clean on the four doors)