'01 crew 7.3L longbed---New mbryson project....(like I needed another?)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
There are many trucks that I have seen without the painted bottom on the bed. In fact, I think my neighbor has one. Might even be cheaper factory option?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Tail lights, brake lights and signal lights are all functional with the new bed. I seem to have dropped two bed bolts somewhere in the snow so we'll have to see when they turn up.

Door or has made its way to me from Logan. Not sure when I'll get that taken care of. Good shape, though. Has a moulding but is the right color again.

Bart

I've only done one clockspring, on a TJ and it wasn't bad. No idea on a Furd. I agree with your idea to match the paint, plus its easier to do touch up on the bottom part of the truck. Glad its working out.

Pile of parts

Crap. Just came back from Logan and passed by Moonlight Diesel twice. Didn't even think to check with you as you'd said you had it handled.

Edit: sorry, misread that you hadn't got the door yet. Glad you got it! Carry on.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Crap. Just came back from Logan and passed by Moonlight Diesel twice. Didn't even think to check with you as you'd said you had it handled.

Edit: sorry, misread that you hadn't got the door yet. Glad you got it! Carry on.

I have it. (PSA: a SuperDuty front door is quite large. HUGER than the cargo space in a JKU with the the seats folded down. It "almost" fit but was about 2-3" to tall to fit in at an angle. Some creative strapping to the roof and slow driving got it home from the delivery point last night) Thanks for thinking of me though!

I still need to hang it. Just got the door last night and got the the taillights on the truck all worked out (had to splice a factory harness on the new bed ). I'm not sure when I'll hang the door or the clockspring? Likely somewhat soon but I'm not sure. I need to circle back around to my CJ and finish up a couple loose ends there.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Just doing a bit of an inventory here. I need to come up with the following:
-seatbelt latches,
-seat fixes (upholstery), and that should take care of the interior
-dash cup holder
-Clock spring install
-carrier bearing
-paint the rockers black, possibly gravel guard.
-fix hard starting (kind of the gamble on this truck)
Other issues could be related to engine. It is hard starting which I believe could be glow plug related but it could be the harnesses for the injectors which is apparently a common failure point.

Bart

I've heard about the harnesses going bad and saw one apart. Bad design by Ford. Again, I'd start with the cheap relay before going more expensive.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
For your seats go see Modstock, they repaired the foam in my Tacoma and i'm planning to take the Dodge down for the same treatment and maybe a recover.

Upholstery West

245 West 8600 South
Midvale, UT 84047
(801) 561-7011

mbryson

Supporting Member
I've heard about the harnesses going bad and saw one apart. Bad design by Ford. Again, I'd start with the cheap relay before going more expensive.

Good point. I'll have to break out the ohm-meter and check that relay out.

For your seats go see Modstock, they repaired the foam in my Tacoma and i'm planning to take the Dodge down for the same treatment and maybe a recover.

Upholstery West

245 West 8600 South
Midvale, UT 84047
(801) 561-7011

I'll have to head down there. Drove the truck in to work today. Good to know RME has a solid upholstery contact :D

sixstringsteve

One more question. Why does everyone write "F*rd" instead of "Ford"?

I've got a bunch of van seat belts. Not sure if they're the same as what you're looking for, but you're welcome to them if you want them.

mbryson

Supporting Member
One more question. Why does everyone write "F*rd" instead of "Ford"?

I've got a bunch of van seat belts. Not sure if they're the same as what you're looking for, but you're welcome to them if you want them.

I NEVER liked Ford but now that I've had a few, I begrudgingly like them. Still have a hard time typing the name out so the asterisk makes me feel better:D I'll check on the van seat belts compatibility. THANKS!

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
F*rd = swear word. LOL.

I used to hate fords. But since owning mine, I really like them. I beat the crap out of it with minimal maintenance.

I beat the crap out of my land rovers, they want lots of new parts. LOL

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
We used those same unit bearings on 4Chin's SD. They were quality and came with all the 0-rings. There was some question about which studs were needed (thread pitch and size).

It was like a 30 minute job per side.

Soak the bolts down now..they were tight and original! :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
I didn't get to diagnosing my harness today but I did get the new passenger door swapped. The other day I verified the glow plug relay has voltage when keyed. There's a procedure to check the harness and the glow plugs themselves using an OHMeter. I might get to that tomorrow? Here's for hoping it's glow plugs rather than glow plugs, harnesses AND injectors :D Injectors are anywhere from $1600-4000..... I'm not sure I'm that invested in this truck but if I do those I want to know it's going to live a long healthy life. Compression check, turbo health etc would need to be verified before I throw that kind of $$$ at.

I checked the upholstery shop recommended above. Good deal. They'll redo all the seats for $1500-1700 or so. 1 day turnaround.

photos of the formerly damaged part of the truck. I just have a nasty scratch on the lower part of the rear passenger door now. Once I repaint the black, it will be difficult to see. I have been kicking around going with a silver rocker rather than black. It won't be much more work than the black and I'll like it better.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: