'09 Rubicon

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Was doing an oil change the other day and discovered I had abused my engine skid to the point it was hitting the oil pan. No damage to worry about just some banging with the hammer. Here's a picture of how much it is bent, pretty sure it's supposed to be flat since that's the way it came.

Any tips on straightening this thing? I know a BFH will get er done but that's a lot of work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381881138432.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381881138432.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 22

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have straightened some thick stuff with my press and some stacks of plates placed in the right locations. You might even be able to use the floor jack in the picture to press it against a bumper or axle.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
You might even be able to use the floor jack in the picture to press it against a bumper or axle.

Not sure how I didn't come up with that one on my own, I'm usually pretty good at thinking like that. If the beating I put it through with the hammer isn't good enough I'll try it, thanks.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well I've got to get this thing into an alignment shop. After my last wheeling trip I've noticed a pull to the left and on top of that both of my front axle seals are leaking, hoping I didn't bend the housing with a pretty hard it I took not paying attention.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
It's been a while since I've discovered this but a while back I was doing so PM on the Jeep and discovered that my front upper frame side control arm bushings where toast. Not sure of the cause and I'm not complaining one bit about the quality of TF stuff since all my other bushings are in great shape.

The obvious solution was to get some rebuild joints from TF....tough luck on that one since they can't keep the front uppers in stock. Got tired of waiting and went ahead and gave the guys over at Metalcloak a call and they set me up with some weld on duroflex joints. Somewhere in the communication it got missed that teraflex uses a 9/16" bolt and Metalcloak uses a 1/2" bolt for the upper joints so I had to get with Midnight 4x4 to get me some weld washers which they hooked me up with pretty quick I just haven't had time to deal with it.

I didn't discover to bolt size discrepancy until after I had cut the Teraflex joint from the threaded shank and welded to new joint onto the shank and tried to install it. So in the meantime I'm rolling 3 link style until I get this fixed, which will have to wait until after next Saturday when I get back from Oregon.

Once I get the control arms sorted out I'll take it in and get it on an alignment rack and see of they can tell if my axle housing is bent. Once I know for sure I'll get a game plan for a new housing and probably new gears at the same time.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
What housing are you thinking about?

If it is bent I'll probably end up going with a Tera44 housing. They use 3.25" tubes and beefed up center section as well as beefed up knuckles. Dynatrac has one as well but I'm certain I can get a better price on a TF housing. I can also get it with a raised track bar mount so I can do my "high steer". I'll have to notch the frame but that's not a big deal.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Heck yeah, get the TF one, paint AllJeep all over it and you'll be set! I wonder what the cost difference is to jump up to a Tera60

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Heck yeah, get the TF one, paint AllJeep all over it and you'll be set! I wonder what the cost difference is to jump up to a Tera60

After looking at the catalog the other day because the thought crossed my mind it goes from around $2400 to about $7500.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Keep in mind though that is a bare housing Tera44 vs a loaded and ready CRD60. But I already have the shafts, locker, outer knuckles and brakes.