Toyota 1987 4Runner Rebuild

jared801

28377075.jpg

I'm working on rebuilding my new 1987 manual 4x4 4Runner. I picked it up off KSL for $1000. As I posted in the Introductions section, water was mixed into the oil making a yummy chocolate milkshake. I'm pulling the engine and transmission Saturday the 25th in the morning 10:30 ish. I could use an extra hand and eyes pulling it out. After I pull a few cross member bolts she's ready to be pulled. I'll buy pizza and soda (sorry no beer) for anyone that wants to come help. Let me know if you can lend a hand or set of eyes. I'm on 1025 east in Lindon.

big_red_047.jpg

If you're not able to come out on Saturday I am looking for ideas on what to do while the engine is being worked on. For 2 Years this will be my daily driver and weekend off road toy. Right now I don't want to do any thing that will decrease my MPG. After 2 years I'll have another daily driver and this will be just a 4x4 toy. That being here are a few things I want to do. Please provide feed back. Anything else I should look at doing?

Doing now:
• Rebuild engine (I've heard good things about Engnbldr kits.)
• Clean, degrease, and coat under body with some anti rust protectant
• Rebuild front locking hubs
• Instal elockers on rear axle
• Replace tube with sliders (not sure how well these tubes can function as sliders
• Replace 6 disk cd player with MP3 Player
• Upgrade front and rear bumper

Don't know when or if to do:
• Install Engnbldr's 268C/Torkr or 270/430 camshaft. (I'm don't know how these will affect daily driving and off road driving)
• Replace clutch I'll have to wait and see how it looks when I pull it out
• Rebuild transmission (I've never done one, wouldn't mind doing it, don't know if trans is good or bad, previous owner said it was good)

In two years:
• Add a lift kit (3-4 inches)
• Bigger tires not sure what size
• Solid axle swap

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That's your front driveline, right? Drop it with the transfer case, break the bolts loose when you're not flat on your back with no leverage.

jared801

Got a lot done this weekend.

Here is 4 hours worth of work. I've got a lot more but there are a few worth showing

big_red_048.jpg

big_red_052.jpg

big_red_053.jpg

big_red_058.jpg

big_red_078.jpg

big_red_080.jpg

big_red_081.jpg

big_red_082.jpg

jared801

2 hours more of work tonight and I finally broke everything down and took a lot of parts over to Clegg's to be cleaned and machined. I should know tomorrow what needs replacing and what I can reuse. He looking over my camshaft real quick, he noticed some excessive ware marks and said I many want to just replace it.

I'll be I've got about 10 pounds of grease build up on the block alone.

jared801

you work fast! Lookin good!

I had a buddy of mine help. He pulled off bolts, telling me what they were from. I marked parts bags and took everything from him. It allowed him to to just sit and pull things work the wrenched. All by hand no power or impact tools. I had a hard time keeping up. We went a little too hast and forgot to loosen the crank shaft pulley bolt. Having an engine hoist and engine stand helped speed things up. Also lots of space to work in. That hardest things, aside from looking for bolts hidden by an in of grease, was the freeze plugs. I have a set of damaged wood chisels that I used.

jared801

A few images of what I found in my oil pan. The reason for my yummy milkshake.

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

jared801

AHHH
Clegg's called not good news:
Cylinder head is cracked New head $305
Block needs a shave and bored out $295
Master rebuild kit $250

jared801

Well I could try and pinch a few pennies here are there but in the end I guess it's worth it. $850 and I'll have the parts on Friday so I can spend the weekend working on putting it all back together. This puts my running total at $1850 including the truck.

jared801

I gave my truck and optical lift by removing the side bars. I'll put sliders on latter. I've also take some measurements for the wire loom. You can see the melted plastic. I'll be replacing it with high temp wire looms that are good up to 1000ºF

big_red_083_1.jpg

big_red_084_1.jpg

jared801

get after that with a pressure washer before you do.... it'll make wiring less... greasy ;)

It is supposed to be nice this weekend so that's the plan. Anyone have a pressure washer I can barrow?

I love the energy you have for this project. When are your goals to have it out on the trail?

Here is my schedule:
March 10th - Have the engine in and running
March 17th - Have passed emissions, safety and have tags
March 24th - Have the elocker and sliders installed

Lift kit and larger tires will be 6 months to year down the road or when ever I get my back pay from my employer.
SAS in two years.
So depending on the trail I could be out by the end of the month.

I'll be spending most of this week just cleaning nuts bolts and replacing hoses. That will take the most time. It's slow and tedious but I want it to look clean. I was going ad an under coat protective layer but I may put that off till I do a SAS.

jared801

I picked up a ton of parts from Clegg's. They gave me a lot of advice on how to put it back together. They are bunch of great guys over there. Can't wait to start building.

Everyone is welcome to stop by my place in Lindon.