Toyota 1987 4Runner Rebuild

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I really like Cleggs. They have always treated me really well. Never felt like they were talking down to me like a lot of machine shops do.

jared801

A lot have been done today. Well a lot of work and a little progress. I've been cleaning nuts, bolts, and other random items. I also stated painting a few things. I got as far as putting the crank shaft and pistons in before called it quits for the day. When I installed the crankshaft and torqued it to 57 ft-lb it will rotate just fine. After installing the the pistons I just could no longer turn the crankshaft by hand I did not torque the rod cap bolts i just tightened them by hand. I have not used plastigage to measure the gap but I'll do that Monday.

I used Ford Red, Aluminum, and a flat black for paint. I don't like the flat black. I may repaint those parts a glossy black.

big_red_087.jpg

big_red_089.jpg

big_red_093.jpg

big_red_092.jpg

big_red_103.jpg

big_red_104.jpg

big_red_105.jpg

jared801

I've torqued the rod cap nuts to 51 ft-lb. and everything is rotating smoothly. Tonight I'll be on page EM-74 of the FSM. I'll be cleaning and installing lots of nuts and bolts as I go.

I also placed an order from 22reperformance.com for: Belts, Wires, Fuel Filter, PCV Hoses, Thermostate, Air Filter, and Injector O-rings

jared801

It's finally up and running! I've already changes the oil after running it for about 20 minutes. I've got a 2 week temp tag on it so I can drive it around. I've driven it up to my office in Draper (20 miles away) and other than having no real get up and go it seems to run great. I'm thinking I may readjust the rocker arms after I hit 1000 miles. I figure that would be enough to time to break in the new cam. If anyone want to come check it out I'd love to get your feed back on how it runs. I don't have anything to compare it to. Well it seems to have about as much power as my 2nd gen with the 3 slow did.

jared801

After a tank of fuel I got 15 mpg. I was running it very hard and idling a lot. I'll see how the 2nd tank goes. Now that the engine is running well I'm turning my attention to the interior and electrical. If you have any other ideas let me know.

• 2nd battery (still contemplating which setup)
• SR5 front seats
• 2nd gen instrument cluster, I hate not having a tachometer.
• Inclinometer
• Gauges for: oil pressure, water temp, fuel pressure or a wide band, vacuum pressure.
• Replace all the dash lights with new LEDs
• Install 4 or 5 switches for lights & stuff (just thinking of the future)
• CB radio
• Power line from battery to 220 amp inverter at the rear of truck

Got any other ideas please let me know. I'd like to do all the electrical and dash work at once.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
You just need to add a sr5 cluster and change the oil pressure sending unit from a dummy light sender, to a pressure sensor sender.
You don't need a second gen cluster.