1988 Toyota X-Cab

I've owned my truck for almost a year now, but I'm fairly new to the site. I thought I would post up and get some local opinions and support.
Owners Name & City- Jared, Logan Utah.

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1988 Toyota Pickup xtra cab

Engine- 22re

Transmission- w56

T-Case- Gear driven top shift

Axles- Rear - Trucks original housing, Aussie locker, yukon 5.29's
Front - 1985 4runner axle with high steer and 5.29's

Suspension- 63" Chevy leafs out back, Toyota rears up front.

Wheels and Tires- 35" bfg mtrs on 15" aluminum wheels

Favorite Trails- Providence canyon, willard peak, little moab

I didn't know a lot about toyota's before owning this truck and when I first bought it I thought I had a decent platform. I guess it was a start but I want this rig to be very capable and not very problematic...
Here's a few pics of when I first bought it, and the very weak flex shot.

Attachments

• SSPX0100.jpg
    SSPX0100.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 107
  • SSPX0101.jpg
    SSPX0101.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 93
  • SSPX0214.jpg
    SSPX0214.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Yota

Not very much wheeling/building going on sadly. Truck has been a decent commuter though.
Here's a sneak peak of what the bender will look like.. I will be buying the die, ram, and pins if finances permit this coming week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
painting.jpg

Yota

I'm rebuilding the block I acquired last year, my current engine has 230k miles, leaks and burns oil, lacks compression, and the block has a crack along the driver's side. So that's why I have been wanting to build this separate block. The rebuild will consist of the typical gaskets, rings, bearings, and timing chain kit. But I also wanted to bore it out .030 or .040" run a mild camshaft, and a header, and replace the old exhaust.

So far my drawing board consists of some pretty simple "first time bending" projects. I want to build..
  • A front bumper for my winch plate
  • Rock sliders
  • Flat belly/Tube crossmember
  • Spare tire carrier
I really want to do a partial exo cage, and a nice, clean, FUNCTIONAL flatbed to replace my cancer overrun bed. I'll probably patch up some cancer on the cab while the bed is off, which reminds me, I have some truck bed liner and catalyst which I want to use here when it warms up. I'll atleast do the frame rails and more "exposed" parts of the cab, possibly the whole cab..
Tires are also on my list too.

I could honestly go on for pages and pages of what I want to do, but realistically, this is a good idea of what to expect in the upcoming months with my build.
It sucks that the time of year it's nice and warm enough to do prolonged work on the rig, the trails are open and I should be wheeling it not building it.
I'll be doing as much of both as possible though!

toyota rockhead

sounds good man! The bender looks pretty sweet! i have been checking out gooses over at his place. He just finished putting his all together too and it looks pretty killer! Keep up the work! It does suck when you cant wheel it cuz all you do is work on it but at the same time thats part of the fun! For awhile i would have rather worked on mine instead of taking it out kinda weird but its sweet once you get everything finished up!

Yota

I understand completely though, I thoroughly enjoy the building process.

My spare block is at the machine shop getting bored out and decked. That's all the news I have on my truck, but I did take a couple pics of some my welds..

These are short arc mig
DSC_1423.jpg

DSC_1421.jpg

DSC_1414.jpg

Trying to avoid cold starts and hot stops on stainless steel.
DSC_1446.jpg

Stainless lap
DSC_1441.jpg

DSC_1427.jpg

Yota

This was a good lesson in learning aluminum's ability to conduct heat.
First bead (middle) was good with a little bit too much amperage at the end, and the other 2 I ran immediately after without letting the piece cool or without lowering my amperage thus they look like bird crap.
DSC_1469.jpg

Yota

I wanted to get some practice in on tube before I just go at it on my truck, I hand notched this with a torch for the record. So the fit up was far from perfect.
DSC_1449.jpg

Can't wait to get a notcher, I've decided to go with Jd2's "Notchmaster". Final answer.

Mdiehl_20

GD buddy. You mean to say we're gonna be bending, torching, notching, gringding, welding...........and then throwing some bent up creations of tube onto our trail critters? well i say hell yes and lets get to it. I'm sure the women'll be a lot happier knowing we're rollin bassackwards down the hill in tubular safety and style.

Yota

DSC_0348.jpg

I'm happy to say that my girlfriend is the proud new owner of this familiar '85 4runner. :greg:
I've been taking care of a few odds and ends with it, but heavy modifications will probably wait until further into the future.

As for updates with my truck, I got my jd2 notchmaster. It's a freakin' beast!! It makes notching a breeze. Still saving for some DOM.. Hopefully can have some in the next few weeks.
I'm also about to make another hefty purchase, a set of 4 goodyear wrangler mt/r's w/ Kevlar. Probably the 35x12.50x15's since I don't have 17's for 37's and they don't make a 36 to put me above the 35" crowd... sigh..
Anywho.. Does anyone run these and care to comment? Pros/Cons?
I think they'll be pretty good for my truck's weight and application.

toyota rockhead

my 37 inch mtrs were the old style and i loved them! they worked awesome! they hooked up really good! as for the new mtrs ive never run them but alot of guys are running them in koh now including including shannon campble and the genright buggy who came in 1rst and 2nd this year so they must be pretty sweet!

Yota

Haha I know it's a virgin 4runner. You just don't see many 85's like that. And it being efi and solid front it's just a good package. She was kinda iffy about it at first but I think the runner is starting to grow on her even.

Yota

Update:
I did some sheet metal work and patched a couple holes on the lower corners of the cab. And using my infamous driveway paint booth I took advantage of the sunny and less windy time of the day on friday. I decided to paint my cab with black truck bed liner.
DSC_0595.jpg

I took this picture to try and show the texture, this stuff is super rubbery and feels like snake skin. I definitely feel like I'm helping preserve the cab.
DSC_0588.jpg

This is so you guys can point and laugh at a goofy paint job.
DSC_0587.jpg

But the stock bed won't be around much longer so this helps focus on what's important.
DSC_0590.jpg