2 Years In Korea

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
authentic kimchi via fed ex please, that is all.

Also hope the deported Hyundai isn't giving you grief anymore

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Something still seems off about the car but it's not acting up anymore. It might just be in my head though.

I really love kimchi. My wife hates it though.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
First MTN biking trip of the year.

There was lots and lots of really steep uphill stuff to hike the bikes up. Worth the view and well worth the awesome ride down.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Picking up a second car today. Its a 2000 Musso. Has a 2.3L Mercedes turbo diesel and Mercedes auto, Dana 30 ifs front and Dana 44 rear. Picked it up for a steal at 500 bucks because of a small issue with the transmission linkage.

Hooefully I can find some people to go do some mild wheeling with it.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Here's a quick video from my drive home through the downtown area I live in. The tall buildings straight in front with the round things on the roofs are my apartment complex. What's weird is the lack of traffic on this road this afternoon.

[video=youtube;0amk9L7h5EU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0amk9L7h5EU[/video]

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Picking up a second car today. Its a 2000 Musso. Has a 2.3L Mercedes turbo diesel and Mercedes auto, Dana 30 ifs front and Dana 44 rear. Picked it up for a steal at 500 bucks because of a small issue with the transmission linkage.

Hooefully I can find some people to go do some mild wheeling with it.

What kind of tires can you get over there?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Got a few thoughts on this country so far.

Driving sucks. The drivers here really are horrible even though they are really good at being bad. They can't maintain lanes and if I go a single block without getting cut off I'm lucky. I have had to find thr thin line of being aggressive enougj to get where I need to go while still being defensive enough to stay out of trouble.

I love the Korean culture. For the most part people are very nice and will show a great deal of respect unless you make them angry. You get and give lots of head bows just in passing.

All Korean males are required to do two years of military service. Because of that and because of our close military relationship with them I seem to get lots of what would normally be random salutes from civillians. Here the junior enlisted salute anyone who out ranks them.

So far it looks like this will be a fantastic tour. It will probably be two of my best years in the Air Force.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Another quick thing. Everything you do in Korea is on camera. I've been told there are over 40,000 CCTV cameras in Daegu alone. They do speed and traffic light cameras everywhere but they have signs posted letting you know they are coming. On one road that I drive to and from work there are six speed cameras but there are at least 3 signs warning you of each one and telling you how many meters it is before you get to the camera.

With all the cameras around the police don't do a whole lot of traffic enforcement. I've only ever seen a couple on the side of the road clocking people and even those speed traps have warnings saying that the police might be there. The weirdest thing about the police and ambulances are that they all drive around with their lights flashing all the time. You only have to move over for them if their siren is going.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Last month sometime we took a hike up Mount Apsan. It's a very close mountain with more hiking than I could do in my two years here. There are lots of temples and other cool things to see on some of the ridges. We took it pretty easy since it was my family plus another family both with 1 year olds and a 5 and 7 year old.

First off was the outdoor war museum.

It was pretty cool to check out some of these old war machines.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Then we headed up to the cable car. You can hike up the mountain and ride it down or ride up and hike down but we opted for the two way tickets.

Pretty cool ride up to the top where there is a restaurant and some pretty cool views.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Pretty cool panoramic view of Tower 83 here in Daegu.

There is a restaurant up top which I've heard is really expensive.

Yesterday we went to Busan to hit up the Aquarium which was pretty fantastic. Outside on the beach was some really cool sand art. Got a few cool pics to share of those.