Ford 2021 Ford Bronco

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
55FD9EDD-E0B7-4925-BEC2-D3006D0E960A.jpeg
Drove this badlands 2.7 Sasquatch Lux the other day. Lots of room, lots of power. 12” screen is massive. Very glad I have the Jeep so the ongoing bronco delays aren’t bothering me anymore, will be a tough decision next year(!) when I get on bat with my bronco build date.

Each day that passes leaves me happier with the gladiator and less hot for the bronco. Besides the slight lane wandering that is endemic to the Jeep steering, I think it is just as comfortable to drive, and the interior finishes feel much nicer. The Alpine stereo for sure blows away even the B&O system in the Lux bronco. My hard top doesn’t rattle or flake apart. The 8 speed transmission isn’t as ADHD as the 10 speed, I love the by-God stick shift transfer case, and the uconnect interface is much more intuitive to me than Fords system.

Finally, the truck bed is really nice to have (hauled a fridge to the dump this morning then straight on to work), the whole jeep design language really works for me, and I’m just starting to gain awareness of the supermassive black hole of the Jeep accessory aftermarket...

So if Ford wants my money at this point, either my gladiator needs to start falling apart, or the bronco needs to quit falling apart and get here before my interest dries up completely.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
There is a 4 door in my part of town. I've seen it twice this week dropping kids off at the elementary school. Bronco's and Jeeps don't have 4 doors in my book. The soft top 4 door with the top down and doors off may be the ugliest thing I've seen. Dude driving it seems to be pretty happy with his ride though.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
952011C9-453B-4E0B-BB30-4D24181BAD73.jpeg
Drove this all day yesterday. 2.7, badlands, LUX, Sasquatch. I’ve put 4500 miles on my gladiator over the past month since purchase, so I have a better base of comparison. My thoughts:

Bronco Pros
- 2.7 ecoboost pulls harder. Although not as peppy as the 2.7’s I’ve driven in f150’s for some reason, much more exciting to get up to freeway speeds than the old pentastar, which I’m generally ok with on stock 33’s.
- Driveability. Tracks straighter, IFS definitely is better for road driving. Not a million constant steering corrections that become tiresome in the Jeep.
- Interior space. Much more room in the footwell. In the Jeep my right leg is always on a 45* angle leaning against the transmission hump, much more side to side space in bronco. Also more shoulder and hip room, windshield is farther forward, makes it feel much larger than it maybe is. But noticeable size difference.
- Styling - Exterior. Like the front end on this thing, overall lines are great. Impressed that they’ve been able to create their own styling cues that are rugged and classy without straight copying Jeep. Frameless doors are awesome. No B pillar cross bar reates huge open air experience.
-Styling - Interior. Dashboard is cleaner, streamlined. Window buttons are right where your right hand rests on the center console and quick/intuitive to use. Really like the interior layout of everything; the overhead aux switches make me feel like I’m getting the Millenium Falcon ready for takeoff. The switches on top of the dash for lockers, TT Assist, etc are really well done.
- Technology. Wireless CarPlay and phone charging, charging ports up on the dash. Trail turn assist looks great, haven’t tried it.

Cons
-Execution. I’m trying to figure out how to give an A to the designers and a D to the engineers. Maybe they’re the same folks, but it doesn’t feel like it. Lots of cheap plastic bits that don’t hold together so we’ll. Frameless doors are cool, but they don’t shift down fast enough to open the door without catching on the roof every time. Winch mounting system seems like an afterthought - blocks front camera, and I believe interferes with forward bumper sensors. Carpet on back of rear seats even on Marine Grade Vinyl “washout” interior. Grab handle location too low down, and they feel like they are going to pull off if you’re not careful.
-Transmission. Shifting into gear in the rubicon 8 speed auto is like butter, and it is unnoticeable while driving, except to note that it always feels like it’s in the right gear. The 10 speed somehow has a tinny, cheapish feel shifting from park into gear, and seems to constantly switching between gears. Maybe the same as my expedition, and just more noticeable because I’m paying attention on the bronco, but the Jeep wins here.
- Technology. As I made the progression from 80 series cruisers, to 100’s, then a 200, I was torn between liking some of the updates and hating others. The 200 felt too removed from an honest 4x4, and more like a very capable suburban. I think Ford is getting too clever with their tech solutions for me. Goat modes seem mostly gimmicky, and the one that would probably get used the most (sport) is available on base trim and up, until removed from badlands and replaced with Baja mode, which is off road only. E-brake is electronic, transfer case electronic, weird digital tachometer. Even little details bother me, like auto high beams being the default setting every time you start the car - doesn’t matter how often you turn it off. In general, it felt like the vehicle was always flashing alerts and messages of some kind. So it’s not a surprise when early users report 4x4 failing to engage or being locked into some limp mode when an abs sensor gets dirty. My Jeep just seems to mind it’s own damn business and let me drive.

Overall, I’m still torn. If I stick with my bronco I’m going to keep the base model with Sasquatch. Feels like good value for what it is, but the quality issues would keep me from wanting to pay too much until the next refresh when I’m sure things will get tightened up. It IS very fun to drive, and I spend most of my work time behind the wheel. But it’s not a clear winner by any means.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Ford has released a teaser for the 2022 Bronco Raptor. There's not much info in the video except:
A - it's official
B - it has a different grille

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Online rumors are saying that it may be available with the twin turbo 3.0 ecoboost (400 hp, 400 ft/lbs), fox shocks (to be expected on a raptor package) and 35 or 37" tires.

Tonkaman

Maybe they are hoping this will cause a surge of people to postpone their bronco in exchange for a raptor bronco. That would alleviate the demand a little, allow them to deliver more hardtops, and still keep customers happy

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
There are 2.7, 3.0, and 3.5 ecoboosts? Ive never heard of the 3.0

Yeah. The 3.0 started life in the Lincoln line and is now in the new Explorer.

I don't know the details as to why they have 3 current production ecoboost V6 engines with somewhat close displacements though.

EDIT, it looks like the 3.0 is based on the 2.7 architecture. It has a slightly larger bore, slightly longer stroke, and an aluminum block. This makes it a perfect candidate to fit in the Bronco.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So my BIL just got his Bronco and found overspray all over it. He looked harder and found that one of the rear quarters was damage and re-sprayed at some point. Needless to say, he’s livid lol

Think it's from the factory or a dealer cover up after damage in transport?