2024 LandCruiser

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Can we just get past the "center diff lock" as if it's a feature? I get why marketing does it, but it's just called 4wd to everyone else in an era where everyone else has 4wd and front AND rear lockers.

I don't hate the look. I've heard nothing about it so I'm interested too see what it has to offer. Hopefully it's not another fj cruiser. (sorry I know some people like them... But.... They look like vape smells).
My 89 XJ pioneer had a part-time/full-time NP241 NP242 transfer case. The original locked/unlocked center! X-D

I'm betting your grand did as well, right? We are too cool for the toyota people. (*hides tacoma in the garage*)

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I like the look of the new LC more than the GX, but I like the options of the GX more. That being said, I'm still more likely to buy a new Bronco than a new LC or GX. The newer rigs are cool, but I miss taking the top and doors off my Jeeps.

Since I'll never own another Chrysler/Fiat/whoever I'll likely never get another modern Jeep. That leaves the Bronco for now. I like the evolving off road options, and I hope Toyota sells a ton of them!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My 89 XJ pioneer had a part-time/full-time NP241 transfer case. The original locked/unlocked center! X-D

I'm betting your grand did as well, right? We are too cool for the toyota people. (*hides tacoma in the garage*)
The grands came with 231, 242, or 249. All had four wheel drive, but the 242 could also be AWD hi, 4hi, or 4 low and the 249 was only awd or 4 low. I'm guessing the 241 was the ancestor of the 242. They were pretty rare in the zj's actually.

I just feel like advertising a "locking center diff" on a four wheel drive vehicle is the same as advertising that it comes with "round" tires. It's 4wd, wtf else could be going on in the middle there.

All the jeep nerds should start saying they have selectable center diff locks just to annoy the Toyota nerds.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The grands came with 231, 242, or 249. All had four wheel drive, but the 242 could also be AWD hi, 4hi, or 4 low and the 249 was only awd or 4 low. I'm guessing the 241 was the ancestor of the 242. They were pretty rare in the zj's actually.

I just feel like advertising a "locking center diff" on a four wheel drive vehicle is the same as advertising that it comes with "round" tires. It's 4wd, wtf else could be going on in the middle there.

All the jeep nerds should start saying they have selectable center diff locks just to annoy the Toyota nerds.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s always thought this was weird. I feel so seen.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Ah I was wrong, it was the 242. Not sure where I got 241 from.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

While I agree it's a minor feature to put much talk into, there are transfer cases or transmissions that don't have the ability to lock said center diff or LSD. Hence why users like to know they can lock it when they want/need and unlock in other scenarios. Those without the ability the to manually lock are generally cross-over nonsense stuff.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Subaru WRX and Audi owners can say "center locking diff" too (they say "100% front/rear torque vectoring" lol).

Is it selectable or computer controlled? The Toyota version is open or locked (with a button) I’m struggling to sort why that’s confusing folks that its mentioned.