What should i do?

• Keep my mini truck axle and build it up

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Sell the mini truck axle and get one out of a FJ62

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
:D:eek::eek::DLet the light shine down i just scored a lockright locker and carrier for $150!!!:bow:Now i will for sure be rocking it at Moab easter weekend, oh i can't stop smiling

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
It looks to be really coming together now :cool: On a side note pay EXTRA close attention to the four nuts (eight total) that hold the new high steer arms on to the knuckle. Because of their size these need to be torqued down properly--too tight and the stud will stretch and become very weak. Also make sure that there is no paint or debris at all on the knuckle to arm mounting surface. Red loctight is a good idea. Keep an eye on these and re-torque them before any long trail ride. I have seen more busted studs than I can count :sick:

We should run some trails during EJS :greg:

iamsparticus

The stud man

Thanks rot box i will make shure, i got lock tight and the guy who sold them to me said 90 foot pounds but i will check around to see if it is right, i will also clean the fresh paint off the bottom of the arm mount surface, oh man it's going to be sweet!:rofl:

Last edited:

iamsparticus

IT'S DONE, kind of

:(Well i did it finally, the solid axle swap is in and almost finished, i found a few snags though. When we got it all done the leaves ended up to soft, and it sagged almost in the neg arch, so if anyone have a add a leave i could have that will help. Also the tierod hits the oil pan, and i need someone with a tube bender to help me make a custom tierod to bend around the oil pan, i can't pay a shop so couls anyone help me out? Oh and i got pic i'm working on getting downloading them so i'll hurry:-\

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Also the tierod hits the oil pan, and i need someone with a tube bender to help me make a custom tierod to bend around the oil pan, i can't pay a shop so couls anyone help me out? Oh and i got pic i'm working on getting downloading them so i'll hurry:-\

Is your tie rod hitting or is it your drag link or both? If it is the drag link you may need to push the steering box forward a few inches for clearance. As for the tie rod I want to say that the 2wd pans have the clearance you need, but my brain is not working right now :-\

iamsparticus

thanks for the info rotbox, it is a v6 and it is the tierod hitting, and i don't know if what oil pans interchange with the 3.0L V6? I had to bend it in a very shallow V to drive it home

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
he needs a new tie rod made, I had to bend it in the middle just so he could drive it home, to bend that rod the way it needs to be bent to clear the pan would make it too short, and its been cut and pieced together and sleeved and is just scary anyway, Seth first thing you need to do is get the front end up to where it needs to be, whether it be add a leafs or a whole different spring pack, anyone on here know whether or not they SHOULD have sagged into a negative arch ? they are rear springs, are toy rear springs that soft? or is the leaf pack shot? I dont really know that much about toyotas, but Ive never seen that happen before

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
anyone on here know whether or not they SHOULD have sagged into a negative arch ? they are rear springs, are toy rear springs that soft? or is the leaf pack shot? I dont really know that much about toyotas, but Ive never seen that happen before

The difference in weight between the V6 and 4Cyl makes a HUGE difference with Toyota springs. The V6 will fold them over to a negative arch where a 4cyl will barely squat them. The aftermarket offers different spring rates depending on what motor you have. Typically when rears are used up front (RUF) in a V6 truck/4runner there will be extra leafs from another pack added in. It won't take much maybe one or two extra leafs...

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
The difference in weight between the V6 and 4Cyl makes a HUGE difference with Toyota springs. The V6 will fold them over to a negative arch where a 4cyl will barely squat them. The aftermarket offers different spring rates depending on what motor you have. Typically when rears are used up front (RUF) in a V6 truck/4runner there will be extra leafs from another pack added in. It won't take much maybe one or two extra leafs...

I see, thats good info, this was my first toyota SAS, Im used to doing SAS's on GM trucks and using fairly thick front superduty leafs or 73-87 GM front leafs, its a little different, when we put weight on it to set the rear shackle mount I was thinking WTF because they had a fairly decent amout of arch to them unloaded

iamsparticus

Orvis Crawler said it all, i need to get a a few extra leaves in there, i have one leaf from a front pack im putting in, and i will look into a t100 pan and see if that helps, jason i Pm'd you about the tierod

iamsparticus

the pan difference

this is what i have to work with, see how crappy the V6 pan is, i think i will go to the junk yard and pull a T100 2wd pan and baffle and strainer

Attachments

• bothpans.jpg
    bothpans.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 21

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
What's your time worth?? Because I have found it's much cheaper and better in the long run to build it once right. The lift springs would only run $250 for a brand new set then you're not wasting your time trying to mix and match spring packs, and notching out or swapping oil pans and such.. IMO:confused:

iamsparticus

i don't have the money for the lift springs, and i think it still would have oil pan clearance issues when it flexs, from what i read on pirate 4X4