What should i do?

• Keep my mini truck axle and build it up

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Sell the mini truck axle and get one out of a FJ62

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
No problem yeah greg is right, but i need to build a bracket for mine to lower it because it's so high the dash light for the abs is on, havn't noticed anything different in teh braking but still i hate when i have a light on the dash, hey does anyone know the length of the 18mm bolts for the shackles for a swap like mine? I got 130mm ones but i'm afraid they will be to short

4Chin

No problem yeah greg is right, but i need to build a bracket for mine to lower it because it's so high the dash light for the abs is on, havn't noticed anything different in teh braking but still i hate when i have a light on the dash.]

I got that light in my '95 but it was when I pulled the rear Third out
for the locker... Turned out to be a broken ABS sensor on the top of the third. BTW, Make sure to get a panhard drop bracket (4crawler.com) to pull that axle back over. Looking good.

iamsparticus

Thanks for the tip i know why now, it's because the new third i put in did not have teh hole for the abs, so i will have to do something, i plan on getting the drop bracket

iamsparticus

No not yet i know the anticpation is killing me and everyone else im sure, but i have to do it all in basically one day, because i will be doing it in a friends shop and i can't leave it there, but when i start i will take many pics, i haven't been very good at that so far but i will keep everyone in the loop

iamsparticus

A small update

Here is the after math of the carnage from my last trail run of last year in eden, so i took of the runner boards so much better

Attachments

• HPIM2126.jpg
    HPIM2126.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM2127.jpg
    HPIM2127.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM2128.jpg
    HPIM2128.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM2129.jpg
    HPIM2129.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 10

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
I have completely cut off the proportioning valve arm on all of my trucks. I have never even noticed a difference in the braking, not even on my 01 taco. Those things are a pos, if you want it adjustable I'd run an aftermarket valve like a Willwood, or even a Summit knob style adjustable one. IMO.... for the bolts try the M18x150mm if the 130's are too short.

Last edited:

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
It wouldn't be a bad idea to eliminate the prop valve completely. I had mine spring a leak on my old truggy while on the rim. Thank god for vice grips!

iamsparticus

Yeah i know

Thanks for the memory, it was Orviscrawler who lead me through the ligthly snow covered rock mine field that took the runner boards to the grave yard

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
No you have to T them together then run one down to the rear axle. You'll have a return line that comes out of the prop. valve that feeds back to the front of the truck.

iamsparticus

okay that makes sense i 'm at work and i just couldn't visualizing it thanks Jake, i still need to get the gears from you just haven't had time

iamsparticus

update

here are the high steer arms installed. they wern't so bad to remoev a big hammer and 10 minutes of pounding

Attachments

• HPIM2134.jpg
    HPIM2134.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM2136.jpg
    HPIM2136.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM2135.jpg
    HPIM2135.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM2137.jpg
    HPIM2137.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 28

iamsparticus

yeah tell me about it i want it built so bad, but if i get the tubing i ordered by friday i will build it this weekend, so what do you guys think, leaf front and coil rear, any shock suggestions for the front?

iamsparticus

heres an update

:Dwell i couldn't do it last week end:mad:! So i torn apart the axle to swap in 4.10 gears and regrease everything, it was not to bad, i have never taken a toyota front axle apart, took me about a couple hours plus i had to buy the hug 58mm socket for the axle nut, wow thats big, and it kept sliping off. I just need to set the new gears up and put it all back together, as well as have my pitman arm drilled out for proper FJ80 tierod fit, I plan to swap it in this week and, i have everything arranged, so cross your fingers and hope it goes well with out issue, i really just want it done buy now, but patience is not my first virtue thats for sure.:rofl:

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
just make sure you have everything we need (parts wise), I want to get this done in one day, how are you going to get your stuff up here? do you need help hauling it?

iamsparticus

It's almost here

I need to take more pics but i always forget, i tore down the axle in order to regrease it and change the gears, it went smoothly, and i hve a pitman arm on the way, can't wait ot finally start the swap its been long time comeing, saturday is the day. Oh does anyone know if i need to but a little gear lube or something in the knuckle? I saw a drain sttyle plug holei the top and wondered if it needs more than just grease.:greg: