8.1 Vortec YJ

markegbert

markegbert
i think i will have about 4 inches of up travel and about 8 of down. not the best but it will have to do until i get money for links. in the front i might even have to notch my frame and definitely move the bump stops up. i will see when i get the axles on. i have measured alot and it will be close. my tires will clear fine. the f450 axles are wide, out side of tire to out side of tire is front- 94", rear-89". i will make my front fenders about 1" wider than my hood. i think when i flex it will come over my hood a bit. for the rear i will just cut alot of body out.
my wheel base will be like 108-110, trying for the 110. and yes flat atlas with a big skid plate.

cheepin

And,my wife thinks I am crazy for putting a 454 in my CJ.Sounds like a cool project.I am not a fan of SUA though.I think you will end up too low.Yes there is such a thing.Keep up with the pics though.I am interested to see how it comes out.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
i will be 9 1/2 inches taller than stock with my 2 inch lift and 42 inch tires. is that really that low?

I think you've thought the rig out pretty well. You're willing to hack what hits/rubs away to fit the big tires and have thought about bump stops. You'll have a 21-22" "belly" and be UBER stable on off cambers. Build it! The worst that can happen is you hate it, and just finish up a spring over with no lift springs for an additional two inches of lift. (I'm running a spring over with 40" Kevlars)

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I think you've thought the rig out pretty well. You're willing to hack what hits/rubs away to fit the big tires and have thought about bump stops. You'll have a 21-22" "belly" and be UBER stable on off cambers. Build it! The worst that can happen is you hate it, and just finish up a spring over with no lift springs for an additional two inches of lift. (I'm running a spring over with 40" Kevlars)

X2!

But I really, really doubt you'll hate it. Spring under it and just cut sheet metal 'till the rubber stuffs.:cool:

Hey Mark, things are lookin good man. I would ditch the .5 driveshafts tho and go with at most .250". .5 is way to thick.. .250 will hold up to whatever you may drag on with half the wieght... you would probably break your u joints or yokes on a hard hit to the shaft with .250 before you bend or dent your driveshaft. if you have some extra money i'd even go to .120 chomo... All I know is i would never go with .5 again... remember less weight is better, especially with your drivetrain.... the trick is to make it light and strong but that usually = $$$ and lots of it...

Last edited:

markegbert

markegbert
Was wondering how your going to get a 110" wheelbase with leaf springs?

93 inches stock, move front 6 inches, rear 8 inches and redrill leafs 2 inches each or move the center pin to the further hole in my purches.
93+6+8+3or4=110ish but i will post pictures of how it worked out later tis week.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Have to agree here.:cool:

I can't stand the thought of running a chevy, but that is exactly what I would to put in my TJ when I finally get sick of the 4.0, and do a V8 swap. As a bonus, they're not much more than 6.0s.

THat was my opinion until I started researching my GENIV swap. I'm still not a fan of Government Motors, but I don't think I would ever swap anything other than a LS series motor again!

markegbert

markegbert
got the perches and leafs on today. i think i got the pinion angle correct, there just tacked on for now. i will make the rest of the u-bolt flip parts when it is in the garage.

Attachments

• Photo0129_1.jpg
    Photo0129_1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Photo0128_1.jpg
    Photo0128_1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 34

markegbert

markegbert
here is the front, you can see how i had to notch the diff to get every thing to fit.

Attachments

• Photo0130_1.jpg
    Photo0130_1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo0131_1.jpg
    Photo0131_1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 53

Matt

93 inches stock, move front 6 inches, rear 8 inches and redrill leafs 2 inches each or move the center pin to the further hole in my purches.
93+6+8+3or4=110ish but i will post pictures of how it worked out later tis week.
I see some frame extensions in your future, definitely got to see how that works out.

markegbert

markegbert
got my bumper steel. 2"x4"x1/4". i will make them just wide enough for the leafs to hang off of. leaf width- 37 1/2" front , 40 1/2" rear. then taper and cap the ends

Attachments

• Photo0134_1.jpg
    Photo0134_1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 4

markegbert

markegbert
its a roller, wheel base is 109.5 and i still need to move the front 2 rear leaf mounts so i should end up 110-111. also need to adjust like every thing and box all the mounts in.

Attachments

• Photo0139.jpg
    Photo0139.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Photo0138.jpg
    Photo0138.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 102