8.1 Vortec YJ

markegbert

markegbert
comp cut the rear fenders, might need to cut a little more when i flex it out.

Attachments

• Photo0143_1.jpg
    Photo0143_1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo0144_1.jpg
    Photo0144_1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 49

markegbert

markegbert
the shackle angle is not right, i will move the front hangers back later this week. it is strange because i moved all of the rear suspension back 7.5 inches and now the shackle is off. the only thing different is a spring under from a spring over. makes no sense to me.

That's a pretty good article, with good explanation and good points, but I disagree with their conclusions (and I have a lot of respect for all three of the authors). For street or high speed, SR. For crawling, shackle forward.

What many have found is that as a SR pulls it can load and unload causing bouncing, whereas shackle forward lets the front axle simply pull. Think if it also as the axle pushing on the spring vs pulling on the spring. In a SOA application it's worse, which is why a ladder bar is usually needed. Bouncing sucks, and at the end of the day, getting up the obstacle while burning a third less calories is what it's all about.

That's what many have observed, including myself, and I was a big proponent of SR. Maybe by staying SUA it'll work better for you.
YMMV.

btw, looks good so far, nice progress!

markegbert

markegbert
you two might be right, but i am done with the shackle reversal so i will see if i like it and if not i can just change it down the road. you might be right about the spring under making it better so hope it work well.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
you two might be right, but i am done with the shackle reversal so i will see if i like it and if not i can just change it down the road. you might be right about the spring under making it better so hope it work well.

Definitely worth a shot. I'm genuinely curious what kind of difference it would make.

markegbert

markegbert
did a little work this weekend, moved all the spring perches for more wheel base and to correct my shackle angle front and rear. also moved my front hanger up 1.5 inches for better clearance. everything is still tact welded in just in case i want/need to chance something. with stock yj frame, front and rear leafs, and on frame extensions i ended up with 113 inch wheel base, not bad.

Attachments

• Photo0210.jpg
    Photo0210.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo0211.jpg
    Photo0211.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 39