'97 tacoma build: Abner

blznnp

I got a lot done this weekend, but not as much as I had hoped. It'll be done slowly but surely.

I welded on the TG rear frame plates. For some reason, it was really fun welding these on; very fun.

I find welding relaxing at times, course when I was doing it for a living I was trying to avoid it when I could and let someone else do it. I have a crap load of welding to do on the rear bumper I am building right now for my blazer, so hopefully it will help me relax and forget about the craziness that my kids bring. Can't wait to see this done, your last truck was a good looking truck, hopefully I can get my blazer going soon so I can wheel with some of you guys and meet people on here.

sixstringsteve

I find welding relaxing at times, course when I was doing it for a living I was trying to avoid it when I could and let someone else do it. I have a crap load of welding to do on the rear bumper I am building right now for my blazer, so hopefully it will help me relax and forget about the craziness that my kids bring. Can't wait to see this done, your last truck was a good looking truck, hopefully I can get my blazer going soon so I can wheel with some of you guys and meet people on here.

Thanks. Yeah, let's get your blazer going so you can join us on some of our runs. My last rig was a little TOO good looking. I was too scared to scratch or flop it, so it didn't get wheeled very hard. I used to just kinda throw my rigs together and do whatever I had to to get by, but now I try to take a little more time. Spending that extra 10% of time on stuff really makes it turn out so much better. So don't expect this truck to be as pretty as my last one. It'll be a solid build, but it won't be nearly as capable as my last one.

blznnp

I got a buddy back home who has a toyota pickup that he was trying to sell, not sure if he stills is or not, but it was the last year of the straight axle I believe. clean truck except the tailgate had seen better days, I would have loved to have picked that up and done a small lift and like some bigger tires to have a daily driver/light-medium wheeler. seeing your last toyota made me wish more and more that i would have picked it up from him, and I am sure that this one your building now will do the same.

sixstringsteve

The lift is on. I gained an inch and a half up front (which is just right - still nice and low), and probably about 2.5" in back. The springs should settle down once I drive around with some weight in the back. My garage is too messy to take pics right now, so once I get it outside I'll snap some pics.

Here's what's left to do before it's drivable again:
- replace rear axle seals
- replace rear drum brake pads (I could get by as is, but I'd like to do it right)
- torque axle, shackle, and spring bolts to spec
- bleed rear brakes
- install lower shock mounts

I should be able to get most of that done tonight.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Right on, how did the drive line end up working out? Did it collapse back within range once you put some weight on it and let it settle down? You may even consider loading up the back with some bags of sand or something heavy to get that back end to settle. The alternative is to pull a leaf out of the pack, thus essentially turning them from mediums to lights. Let them settle in and when you want the height and spring rate back, add the leaf back in.

sixstringsteve

It still looks too short. I'll inspect it better tonight. You know how when you pull a driveshaft apart, the inside of the flip is silver and shiny, and the rest is dirty from driving? I'm seeing a lot of shiny. I wish I had taken better before-pictures. I'm thinking it's just fine as is, but i'll pull it off tonight and see how much slip it has before it falls out.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If he were to do this which leaf would you recommend taking out?

I'll have to peak at a CS046R spring tomorrow when I'm back in the shop, I'm thinking leaf #3 (from the top) but I'll need to confirm by looking at the pack. Basically it can't be your main leaf or secondary (military wrap) so its going to be one of the next springs that doesn't have the clamps attached. Clear as mud? :D

sixstringsteve

I finished up a few things tonight:

- rear axle seals (tried the marlin eco seals, but they suck to install. I ended up bending one of 'em, so I ditched 'em and went with O'Riley seals).
- bled brakes
- hooked up the e-brake
- extended the proportioning valve bracket to match the new ride height

Still to do:
- rear lower shock mounts

no pics, it's still in the messy garage. Thursday night I'll be able to get some pics.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

Nice to "see" some progress Steve. It's all good I know how it feels to have a garage that is in terrible shape. I can't even walk through mine right now.

sixstringsteve

there's a first time for everything. I'm embarrassed by my messy garage, so all pics will wait till it's outside or 'till I can fit the subject in frame without the messy garage in the background. I'll be cleaning the garage this weekend.

There's not much to see anyway.

sixstringsteve

I've spent the last few days trying to find a 17x8 w/a 3.5"BS, or a 17x9 with a 4" BS, and the only options I'm finding are either $500 a wheel, or custom-made steelies. So, as much as I HATE wheel spacers, I'm going to be running them on this rig. Oh well, I'll survive (...as long as I torque them down that is...).

sixstringsteve

So, some exciting things should be coming together on this thing this weekend. If anyone would like to hang out and lend a hand, I'll provide the pizza:

Thursday night: I finish my lower shock mounts, pick up my wheels and tires, and paint my wheels.

Friday: I get my tires mounted and pick up 4 wheel spacers.

Saturday: Firewall/inner fender tubbing. Anyone who wants to see what this involves, or lend a hand is welcome to swing by. While I would LOVE to have the tubbing done by Saturday night, I think it'd be way too ambitious to have even one side done by then. So we'll see how it goes. This will be my 4th time tubbing a toyota, and I get better each time, but I still hate doing it.

So far I'm on schedule to have everything important done by my HITR trip in 3 weeks. Only thing left will be rear bumper, gearing, and installing a new CB that isn't broken.