Another Italian followed me home...

Tonkaman

The big drawback to having the Beta is the trouble of getting parts. Even something simple like a bearing seal will likely delay me a week.

Tonkaman

Reason 479?

Ha ha yup. Reason 479 why Beta is better than your bike: anytime you need a specific part you get to practice your patience. In today’s fast paced world of instant gratification, it’s nice to have an opportunity to wait for over a week.

Tonkaman

Well after lots of deliberation I decided to throw all caution to the wind and do a suspension swap on the Xtrainer!

Boano Racing specializes in Beta race parts and offers a fork swap kit. It comes with everything needed to install Sachs forks from the RR model onto the Xtrainer. The forks come shortened 40mm to be the same length as the stock Xtrainer forks, therefore keeping the same geometry.

For the rear I’m using a Fox Podium 2 shock. I got lucky and snagged one of the very last shocks available to buy since they are discontinuing them. Since I’ll never find another one of these I figured I better protect it, and ordered a Fastway link guard. It’s adjustable 4 ways to drop the rear up to 1/2” but I’m just going to run it stock.

Stillwell performance went ahead and got them setup with proper springs and valving to suit my riding style. I’m excited to try it out!!
ba45d66b4c9f43905799714f8d9bf491.jpg

D

Deleted member 12904

We need to set a knolls trip up to test out the new suspension! And let you take revenge on the rock wall!

Tonkaman

Friday morning I took the lower triple clamp and spindle to Lindsay Machine. The guy there quickly pressed them together free of charged. [emoji106]... Too bad I didn’t even think about the lower bearing that needed to be pressed on as well!

Long story short, I couldn’t get anyone to pull the bearing off my old stem and press it onto the new one. So I just ordered one and I’ll press it on myself when it gets here.
380635da0043d2232d50d96f213d1836.jpg

I was able to complete the rest of the bike assembly, but not without complications.

First off my pipe is trashed! I knew it had some tweaks, but no idea it was this bad. Now I’ll have to order up some sort of head pipe.

I had a hell of a time assembling my x-ring chain! In the past I’ve squished the o-rings down with pliers over the link enough to put I the clip. Not this time!! When the pliers trick didn’t work, I tried YouTube. In there I saw videos suggesting a C-clamp to press the master link halves together. Well that just bent my C-clamp!! Crazy! Next I tried using a chain tool to press the links together, I pushed so hard that it actually pushed the pins back out of the master link!! Luckily reversing the chain tool pushed the links together and pushed the pins back into the proper depth.
7d283586e3cd1bb1a42ba575785ab622.jpg
33dc52b77c594ef49a2b63d99806a9d6.jpg

I also realized I never ordered graphics. I’ve put it off forever because they always feel like a waste of money. Now I have new plastics, but no graphics to put on them. Anyone who has installed graphics knows that new is the only way to do it! So the bike will have to use the old busted up plastics for a little bit longer.

Tomorrow I just need to turn the engine over, Check that the slave cylinder works, bleed rear brake, and then all that’s left is the front end.
933acf51fc5738dc8a5233892dd97bca.jpg

Tonkaman

Well now I’m nervous!! [emoji51]

With the spark plug removed, I cycled the kick start lever (by hand)about 30 Times. Then I pulled the starter motor for several 10 second bursts.

I replaced the spark plug, turned the fuel on and pushed the magic button..... it can hardly move the engine! I can hear it try to spin then disengage.

Does this just mean trouble? Does it just mean the motor is still to stiff and needs to be rotated more?

The obvious thing to do here is climb up on the saddle and give her some solid kicks. Unfortunately with the front forks off that’s harder to do than you’d think.

For now I’m just going to wait until the forks are on. But I’ve got a shadow of doubt hanging over me...

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Nope. Fully charged and cranked strong without the plug.
Can you turn it over with the lever by hand? I can crank my 300 that way. That should tell you if something is really bound up in the bottom.
Also, I have a press and a bearing puller. Bring that stem over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk