Another 'what tow rig' thread.

ID Bronco

I would personally stay away from a gm diesel in those years. They are pretty well known for the CP4 injection pump failure which results in an entirely new fuel system. Ford also uses that pump but seems less common on them. Dodge used it but not in that year range.I

I LOVE the 16' GMC Denali DMax's, but as you stated, you have to change that pump preemptively or you have major problems. My buddy changed his and has had no problems. All manufacturers used them as some point. I used to have a link to all the makes/years they were in but I can't remember where it is.

The_Lobbster

Running additives to improve lubricity will greatly help save the CP4.

You can buy a bypass kit for the 6.7 fords, but for some reason I don’t think there was ever a GM unit.

Houndoc

Did some drives yesterday (with 300 miles on the road to make it happen) plus has my brother do a first drive in a truck in Wyoming.

Current top candidates:

2015 GMC 123K miles, leather, one area of paint flaked off with some surface rust. $37,500

2016 Ram, 147K miles, leather, some mild body issues. Branded title still trying to figure out (dealer reports being from someone filling it with gas instead of diesel, Carfax shows 'undercarriage damage'). Wife has PTSD from death wobbles with our last Dodge (2005), so unlikely to stay on the list. $33,995.

2021 Ford, 133K, cloth interior (down side since we travel with our Golden Retriever). Clean title, exceptionally clean body and interior.

Still on the radar 2016 Chevy, leather, only 75K miles but rebuild title from "front end damage". $35,999

Did get the old truck and horse trailer finally back from Wellsville yesterday, so some positive there as well.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have put about 6k miles on my 2018 F350 since I bought it in June. They are great trucks, but they ride stiff! That'll do everything you need it to do. Congrats!
Did you get the 10 speed trans? I’ve yet to talk to anyone with the newer trans paired with the Powerstroke. I would expect it gets fantastic MPG’s.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've got 2 neighbors with that same truck. Both can't believe how good of a truck they have. You are going to love it.

Minus the dog hair in the seats of course.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Did you get the 10 speed trans? I’ve yet to talk to anyone with the newer trans paired with the Powerstroke. I would expect it gets fantastic MPG’s.
No, I have the 6 speed. I don't get great mileage. My neighbor has a 22 with the 10 speed and he gets 2-3 mpg better than I do.

Houndoc

How much for the bastard? 😂

PM me and let's chat about it

Yes, has the 10 speed. Driving it home from Rock Springs via Bear Lake and Logan used 13.1 gallons for just about an even 300 miles, so nearly 23 MPG.