Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

193Kyle and I did a night ride @ Lambert last night. Super fun! I'm going to keep on night riding as long as my lungs and ears can stand it. Anyone else have lights for nighttime?

sixstringsteve

hm... cheap and headlights don't usually go together. I paid $250 for 2 used NiteRider headlamps. I'm about to get a Baja Designs Stryk SL for $250 ish. I prefer head-mounted lights. The bummer about handlebar-mounted lights is that they only illuminate where your bars are pointed. If there's a sharp corner coming up, your bars are pointing straight ahead and you can't see what's up ahead on the corner. When it's mounted on your head, you have light wherever you look.

Check out 5:25
[youtube]qrwPUYjKvYQ[/youtube]

Check out this light shootout:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-bike-lights-shootout

With a good light, you can go 80% as fast as in the daytime. It's a totally new experience to ride at night, and with it getting dark around 5:30-6 these days, there's not much time to ride after work, so night rides are the next progression for me.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I just ordered a niterider 1800 pro from REI. They're 20% off promo code and my credit there got the best of me. Plus I can return it if I don't like it. I'll post up a review once I get it next week.

sixstringsteve

I'd be willing to sell each of my NiteRider night owls for $80 each. Price includes charger, light, battery pack, and cable. Not the brightest light in the world, but bright enough to go riding faster than you should at night. :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

kyle and I are hitting up Corner Canyon for a night ride tonight. Open invitation to anyone who wants to join us. You'll definitely need an intense headlamp, it'll be super dark before we start.

sixstringsteve

Tomorrow I'll be renting my dream bike to see if I like it. I'll be riding Corner Canyon and Lambert tomorrow if anyone wants to join me.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I wish I had seen this earlier Steve. I rode Lambert this morning. Dirt was awesome and I was the second bike on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

I rode lambert too. Draper was nasty clay mud. I only made it 200 yards before my frame was totally clogged with mud, preventing my wheels from turning. Im going back to lambert later tonight.if you want.to do it again.

sixstringsteve

I rented a GT Distortion from Laketown Bicycles today and MAN what a bike! I'm in love. I'm sure it's not for most people, but it absolutely fits my riding style 100%. It's heavy, but it's super burly and it actually climbs really well. On the downhill I am in total control. I can't get over it. I just placed an order for a brand new 2013 today. Can't wait to get it. I've never purchased a complete bike brand new before, I've always built mine up from parts. I'm super stoked to get mine.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have always liked GT's. I happen to be riding an I drive 5 currently. I was sold on a Giant Riegn as my next bike but I rode my friends Trek Scratch last week. Man that thing was sweet. It should be for the price though.

sixstringsteve

I love the gt I rode today. I couldn't stop grinning the entire ride. The two best features: dropper post (amazing) and SUPER wide bars (750 mm). Im Thinking a regular thursday nigh ride at lambert might be in order. The trail conditions were amazing today.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm undecided on the wide bars trend. Haven't had enough time on them to determine if I like them or not. Trail was super sweet today. My bike computer stated my top speed down Rodeo was 26. That is my fastest by quite a bit. Super tacky hero dirt:)

sixstringsteve

I'm undecided on the wide bars trend. Haven't had enough time on them to determine if I like them or not. Trail was super sweet today. My bike computer stated my top speed down Rodeo was 26. That is my fastest by quite a bit. Super tacky hero dirt:)

I didn't realize just how wide some.bars are. I remember 10-15 years ago working in a shop, cutting people's bars for them. I didn't realize there was a trend towards wide bars, but I am totally converted now
It probably depends on the bike, but they felt so right this afternoon.

sixstringsteve

Kyle and I are thinking of a November ride/overnighter out at Gooseberry Mesa, or somewhere else cool in the St. George area. Anyone interested?